[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A1000 CPU Upgrade

ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) (04/25/91)

Can someone tell me about the different CPU upgrade
options for an A1000? I was told that a 68010 is the
only thing available for the A1000 -- something I
find hard to believe.

thanks,

/laura

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (04/27/91)

ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:

> Can someone tell me about the different CPU upgrade
> options for an A1000? I was told that a 68010 is the
> only thing available for the A1000 -- something I
> find hard to believe.
>
> thanks,
>
> /laura

Well, thee is also the LUCAS 68020 upgrade project. But, CSA and others do
make accelerators that work OK in the A1000. I believe many A500
accelerators will work in the A1000 as well. Hope this helps.

--
Travis Bissett       NSTAR conferencing site       219-289-0287/317-251-7391
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

rich@documail.UUCP (Rich McCallister) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr25.153631.820@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
>Can someone tell me about the different CPU upgrade
>options for an A1000? I was told that a 68010 is the
>only thing available for the A1000 -- something I
>find hard to believe.

     It's also not true.  Several accelerators have been marketed for the 1000,
along with the public domain design for the Lucas/Frances 68020 boards from
Brad Fowles.
     Two that come to mind are:
     a) The Ronin Hurricane 68020 and 68030 boards. They have been available
at 14 MHz and (I believe) 28 MHz. I am in the process of buying a used one;
I don't know if they are currently marketed by Ronin. It can hold at least
4 Meg of on-board 32 bit DRAM, and 0.5 Meg SRAM. I am told it simply replaces
the 68000.
     b) The CSA Mega-Midget Racer, available in speeds up to 33 MHz (at least)
with a 68030. Can hold up to 4 or 8 Meg of on-board 32 bit RAM. Requires that
your 1000 be modified to boot from PROM, and has a bit of a space conflict
with the 1000 floppy drive, which can be fixed by getting a slimmer drive, or
booting Workbench off an external drive.
     CSA also marketed other boards for the 1000 (such as the "Midget Racer",
hence the wierd name "Mega-Midget Racer" for the newer board).
     Brad Fowles used to sell a kit with PC boards and parts for the Lucas
board, but no longer does. The design is in the public domain, however, and
you can use it to build your own boards if you'd like.