[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Need Monitor Advice!

c3410201@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu (Mike McCallister) (04/29/91)

Due to the recent death of my 1084, I am now looking for a new monitor.
I am currently using an Amiga 2000, but I would like to be able to keep
the new monitor when I upgrade to a 3000.  So in short, I am looking for
a multisync monitor in the $450 - $650 price range which will work with
the 3000's video modes.

Along these lines, I am considering the following:
     Mitsubishi Diamond Scan (14") - Least expensive of the bunch I am
        looking at, and its ability to display a straight video source
        (ie: from a VCR) is a plus.
     NEC 3D - Has received good reviews in PC Mags, but it is rumored that
        colors on other monitors are brighter/sharper.
     Sony 1302 - I don't know very much about this one, except someone on
        the net posted a well written article last month which highly
        recommended it.
     Sony 1304 (possibly) - I know even less about this one, and it is sort
        of out of my price range, but I would like to hear about it.

I don't know anything about how well the above monitors work with a 3000.
Would anyone who has worked with one (or more) of these monitors on an
Amiga or any other computer please comment its suitability for use with the
above setup?  If you have any other recommendations, I would be happy to
hear them also.

Reply either publicly or by mail.  If I get enough responses I will compile
a summary post of them.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Mike McCallister  |  C3410201@FSU1.CC.FSU.EDU  |  Florida State University

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (04/29/91)

c3410201@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu (Mike McCallister) writes:
>Due to the recent death of my 1084, I am now looking for a new monitor.
>I am currently using an Amiga 2000, but I would like to be able to keep
>the new monitor when I upgrade to a 3000.  So in short, I am looking for
>a multisync monitor in the $450 - $650 price range which will work with
>the 3000's video modes.
>Along these lines, I am considering the following:
>     Mitsubishi Diamond Scan (14") - Least expensive of the bunch I am
>        looking at, and its ability to display a straight video source
>        (ie: from a VCR) is a plus.
>     NEC 3D - Has received good reviews in PC Mags, but it is rumored that
>        colors on other monitors are brighter/sharper.
>     Sony 1302 - I don't know very much about this one, except someone on
>        the net posted a well written article last month which highly
>        recommended it.
>     Sony 1304 (possibly) - I know even less about this one, and it is sort
>        of out of my price range, but I would like to hear about it.

You are right in most info above. Sony 1304 doesn't support the 15kHz hor.
sync since it starts at about 30kHz. The rest of them all works with all
A3000 modes.

The modes which need 15kHz on a A3000 is the ones not supported by the
display enhancer/deinterlacer circuit, are 1280x200, 1280x400 (called
superhires modes , and suerhires interlaced), and the pal counterparts,
which is 1280x256, 1280x512, and the interlaced productivity mode 960x480
and all their overscans. These modes need 15Khz horizontal rate.

Sony has higher quality image due to better tube : trinitron tube, cylindrical
screen reduced reflection, small vertically slotted dot pitch, high contrast
and bright colors.

3D is .28mm dot pitch, Diamond Scan is only .31mm, Sony is .26mm but the
technology is different: it is vertical slotted, and rectanglar, but others
are tri-dots, do not compare dot pitch directly.

Unless you want composite input, Sony 1302 is best choice. However, whatever
you buy, hook it up to a computer, best if Amiga, and check the picture, and
the corners, and everything before you paid. I learned my lesson by having
to dispute with the local dealers to return a Sony 1302 and a Diamond 1381A
because the screen is out of adjustments, crooked corners, and fringes.

>Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

>Mike McCallister  |  C3410201@FSU1.CC.FSU.EDU  |  Florida State University

Hope this help, also read my other monitor replies here.

David (who spent some time returning monitors after DOING research on them,
and still...)  Tse