[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Hacking another XT slot on an A3000

wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey M. Wille) (04/26/91)

I'm in desperate need of an additional XT slot on my A3000 and
I would like to know if the following ought to work (in theory
of course).  I won't blame you if it doesn't. :-)

Could I attach a ribbon cable to the contacts of the lowest XT
connector and hook up another card-edge connector in the empty
space to the left of the bottom Amiga slot connector?

Ascii photograph follows:

--------Normal Configuration:---------------------------------

 Video     [=======][======]       [===============] \
                                                      \
         [==========][========]    [===============]   \  Amiga
AT    /                                                 >
Slots \  [==========][========]    [===============]   /  Slots
                                                      /
          empty space              [===============] /

--------Proposed Configuration:-------------------------------

           [=======][======]       [===============]

         [==========][========]    [===============]

         [==========][========]    [===============]
Ribbon    ||||||||||
         [==========]              [===============]

What do the net gurus say?  Will it work?  Dave Haynie maybe?

			Jeff Wille (wille@frith.egr.msu.edu)
				   (wille@happy.egr.msu.edu)

Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything.   -- Gregg Easterbrook

In article <1991Apr25.220049.15163@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey M. Wille) writes:
>I'm in desperate need of an additional XT slot on my A3000 and
>I would like to know if the following ought to work (in theory
>of course).  I won't blame you if it doesn't. :-)

In theory, that should work.  The hard part would be the mechanicals.  XT bus
is too slow to really have much trouble over an inch of ribbon cable.  If it's
a reasonably loaded thing in the slot, though, I would run heavier wire over
for +5V and GND, and probably a capacitor or two (10uF, 0.1uF) between power
and ground, just to be safe.

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.