[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Tape drives again....

jcheng%neptune@calstatela.edu (Action Jackson) (04/30/91)

From my last post, I didn't get any response but one.  But I think there are
a lot of lucky people who got the tape drives to work with their Amiga.
So would you people please share some of your tricks for those of us who aren't
so lucky?

Anyway, here is my question:  Do you have to fromat (low or high level) a
new tape cartridge before you use it for backup?  Because I have tried various
program, WB2.0, BNTape, and MrBackup Pro, and they all share something in common
, read error after several attempted to read the backuped files.  Some of them
can only restore part of the backuped files and always leave something in
read error.
Correction: it should be questionS not just question in the beginning.

So, second question, does anybody know or have successfully use any backup
program for tape drive that does very well in APPENDING serveral backups until
the tape is full?   I have a 150meg tape drive and 120meg hard drive.  I would
like to use all of it and sometimes I would like to do update backups instead
of backing up everything.

These are it for now.  Thanks all for replying in advance.

JC

Reply here in Usenet or if you could email to : jcheng@neptune.calstatela.edu
Thanx!!

"Only Amiga Makes THEM Possible"...

sloan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Dale Dean Sloan) (05/01/91)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
Subject: Help! My GVP/52Q harddrive is gone
For some reason, my harddrive partitions are no longer recongnized.
Heres what happened: I read on the net how you could decrease your boot
time by properly setting the last scsi id to be autoconfigured via the
FastPrep program.  I wanted to check this out, and (like an idiot) assumed
that FastPrep wouldnt do anything extreme without asking me.

When I started up FastPrep, I couldnt see my partition descriptions at
all; so I started to look for them.  Here is probably where I made the
mistake.  In the automatic format part, I hit the next scsi device button -
just to see the description, but the program said 'going to format and
delete blah blah - Proceed?'.  I couldnt cancel this, so I turned off the
computer.  I thought things would be fine, but apparently not.  Other things
I did (again, thinking it wouldnt do anything serious without verification),
where the read button on the manual format side, and the auto button; both
in the hope of simply finding my partition descriptions.

I am pretty confused over this, not to mention screwed (all my stuff is
gone).  I havent re-formatted (there must be some way to get my data back),
so any explanation of what may have happened, or God willing a way to
restore my drives will be GREATLY appreciated.  I'm kind of behind in
this newsgroup, so replying to me and/or the group would be nice.  Thank
you with all my heart and soul in advance.

Dale Sloan
sloan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu