[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Fat Agnes

jackf@pnet01.cts.com (Jack Fitchett) (04/29/91)

        An update to my question about Fat Agnes.  I've checked the
part numbers and what I have in my A500 is a Super Agnes part number
8372-02 and is supposedly 1 meg chip compatible.  However, even though
I added 512k in the trap door it still only see's 512k of chip. the other
512k show up as Fast.  I understand that this chip was notdelivered with all
A500's but is was in mine and I'd like to find out how to "activate" it.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!jackf
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jackf@nosc.mil
INET: jackf@pnet01.cts.com

vidiot.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Eric Rankin) (04/30/91)

>         An update to my question about Fat Agnes.  I've checked the
> part numbers and what I have in my A500 is a Super Agnes part number
> 8372-02 and is supposedly 1 meg chip compatible.  However, even though
> I added 512k in the trap door it still only see's 512k of chip. the other
> 512k show up as Fast.  I understand that this chip was notdelivered with all
> A500's but is was in mine and I'd like to find out how to "activate" it.

I have an Amiga 2000.  Although I've never taken it apart, I have a program
called System Info 2.0 which tells me I have a Super Agnes and a Normal
Denise.   I only have 512k Chip Ram, however.

I have added 4 megabytes of ram to Supra ram card and had 1 meg on the
motherboard to begin with (512k of each).

Any ideas?  I'd just assumed System Info 2.0 was wrong, but now that
someone else has a similar problem, maybe not!

I bought the system used, and it was produced aroudn the time the switch to
the super was made.

Thanks for any help,
  Eric

s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) (05/02/91)

vidiot.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Eric Rankin) writes:

->>         An update to my question about Fat Agnes.  I've checked the
->> part nuMbers and what I have in my A500 is a Super Agnes part nuMber
->> 8372-02 and is supposedly 1 meg chip compatible.  However, even though
->> I added 512k in the trap door it still only see's 512k of chip. the other
->> 512k show up as Fast.  I understand that this chip was notdelivered with all
->> A500's but is was in mine and I'd like to find out how to "activate" it.
->>

    On the A500, you have to either:
- solder in 512K on the motherboard (rev 6 onwards, the ones with the 8372.
The socket positions are there). This makes it incompatible with the a501
unless you do another hack (which I don't know)
- or by a card (there are a few about) which can 'trick' the computer into
believing it has 1Mb of chip (I have one like this, if you pop. the board
to 2 Mb, you get 1Mb chip, 1.5Mb fast, and a clock. This requires changing
a jumper on the ram board, and soldering a lead from the amiga to the
ram board)

->I have an Amiga 2000.  Although I've never taken it apart, I have a program
->called System Info 2.0 which tells me I have a Super Agnes and a Normal
->Denise.   I only have 512k Chip Ram, however.

->I have added 4 megabytes of ram to Supra ram card and had 1 meg on the
->motherboard to begin with (512k of each).

->Any ideas?  I'd just assumed System Info 2.0 was wrong, but now that
->someone else has a similar problem, maybe not!

Umm, just because you have 8372 agnus doesn't mean you automatically get
1Mb chip when you plug in an extra 512K ram. As I said above, on an a500
you need to put the ram on the motherboard. I assume it's the same on the 2000.

->I bought the system used, and it was produced aroudn the time the switch to
->the super was made.

->Thanks for any help,
->  Eric
|                                     |                                    |
| Luke Mewburn   (Zak)                |      This side for lease...        |
| s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au        | (No disclaimer, can't afford it:-) |

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/02/91)

In article <8890@crash.cts.com> jackf@pnet01.cts.com (Jack Fitchett) writes:

>        An update to my question about Fat Agnes.  I've checked the
>part numbers and what I have in my A500 is a Super Agnes part number
>8372-02 and is supposedly 1 meg chip compatible.  However, even though
>I added 512k in the trap door it still only see's 512k of chip. the other
>512k show up as Fast.  I understand that this chip was notdelivered with all
>A500's but is was in mine and I'd like to find out how to "activate" it.

  Simply pull out the chip, and mail it to my address (as printed below). I
will gladly take care of your chip. :)

  Actually, you probably have to cut a trace on the circuit board. Sometimes
you may also have to connect an extra pin to the chip, as with some memory
boards.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.