[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Could NoClick damage any drive?

MAJI@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ma Ji) (05/01/91)

I saw this NoClick program on one of fish disk which silence the disk drive.
I talked to one of expert here.  He said NoClick may damage some of drives
if the drive is a good one.  My question is has anyone use NoClick on their
A3000?  Has anyone experience any trouble from using the program?  Any
comment would appreciated.

Maji

tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca (05/02/91)

I have had problem with NoClick and my second floppy.  It would spontaneously st
   op
writing while noclick was running.  I deleted noclick from my startup-sequence,
and I've had no problems since

* Tom Hayko                    * Call The Amiga Showroom *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * 807-344-7460 80MB online*
* tjhayko@LAKEHEAD.BITNET      * NOTE: I'm not the sysop *

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (05/02/91)

MAJI@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ma Ji) writes:
>I saw this NoClick program on one of fish disk which silence the disk drive.
>I talked to one of expert here.  He said NoClick may damage some of drives
>if the drive is a good one.

The no-clicker programs CAN damage some drives, but the ones at risk
are cheap drives, not "good" ones. The drives click because the Amiga
steps the heads from track 0 to track 1 to see if a disk has been
inserted. The no-click programs make the heads step backwards from track
0 to (the non-existant) track -1. If it's a good drive with a track 0
sensor it refuses to step the head backwards past track 0. If the drive
does not have a track 0 sensor, it bangs the head mechanism against a
physical stop. This can cause head alignment problems.

Fortunatly, it's easy to tell if your drive can be safely de-clicked.
Just run the noclick program. If your drive stops clicking, everything
is fine. If your drive continues to click, or makes a louder clicking
sound, don't use the program with that drive.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g

dvljrt@cs.umu.se (Joakim Rosqvist) (05/03/91)

>The no-clicker programs CAN damage some drives, but the ones at risk
>are cheap drives, not "good" ones. The drives click because the Amiga
>steps the heads from track 0 to track 1 to see if a disk has been
>inserted. The no-click programs make the heads step backwards from track
>0 to (the non-existant) track -1. If it's a good drive with a track 0
>sensor it refuses to step the head backwards past track 0. If the drive
>does not have a track 0 sensor, it bangs the head mechanism against a
>physical stop. This can cause head alignment problems.

Those drives could be silenced too. I have a modification on my kickstart
wich will let me select for each drive wich method to use to make it shut up.
Either step towards -1 or step normally and immediately step back again
before the head moves.

/$DR.HEX$