mike

Date: Wed, 1 May 91 23:58:43 -0400
From: tnc!m0154@uunet.uu.net

The A1000 keyboard cable is (mechanically and electrically speaking) a
telephone HANDSET cable.  Regular phone LINE cables will not work, but
HANDSET cables will (you can get them from Radio Shack, or many
hardware stores).  The line drivers are spec'd for about 6 feet of
cable, but cables up to 15 feet long have been used with varying
degrees of success.

From: tnc!m0154@uunet.uu.net
Date: Thu May  2 08:32:47 1991

I don't think you are in danger of damaging your 1000 with a 25ft keyboard
cable.  You may be in danger of generating or being very susceptable to EMI
(electromagnetic interference).  If you suddenly get lots of lost or
incorrect keystrokes, or sudden random reboots, suspect the cable.

Date: Wed, 1 May 91 17:53:16 mdt
From: Dave K. Martin <davem@hp-lsd.cos.hp.com>

I've been using a regular telephone handset cord (25') long on my A-1000
for many months now, works just fine.  The A-1000 is designed to use the
'rolled' pairs in a telephone cable.  You do have to be careful to get a
HANDSET cord and not a LINE cord as the modular connectors are slightly
different sizes.

I also use one of Radio Shack's $10 joystick extension cords on my mouse,
also works just fine.

Date: Wed, 1 May 91 13:35:32 EDT
From: vesty@inmet.inmet.com (Matt Vesty)

I've used a handset cable for extension.  The trick is to match impedences
of the cables.  By luck, one of the cables I had did match the impedences
and works great.  Best bet: try the shorter lengths (not the longer 25 foot
lengths available.)

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1991 10:39 CST
From: WILSON@sask.usask.ca

The *only* trick is to get a cord intended to connect handset-to-phone, not
phone-to-wall-jack. I'm typing this on an A-1000 with exactly such an ex-
tension, purchased at a local Radio Shack (ooo) store.
--
Michael Drues                              Dept. of Biomedical Engineering
Internet:drues@iastate.edu                        1146 Veterinary Medicine