[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2000 Battery Backed-up Clock dead

skeppeljones@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Stephen Keppel-Jones) (05/03/91)

I've seen this posted a number of times, but have never seen any replies, so
I'll ask again.

My battery backed up clock seems to be dead - setclock says "battery backed-up
clock not found".  Once I set the time manually, it works fine.. so I would
guess that the 8520's are not the problem.  Also, switching them had no effect.
What gives?  Might I need to replace the clock chip?
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~T~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve Keppel-Jones                   | Rush hour doesn't.

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.154119.21650@watdragon.waterloo.edu> skeppeljones@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Stephen Keppel-Jones) writes:
>I've seen this posted a number of times, but have never seen any replies, so
>I'll ask again.
>
>My battery backed up clock seems to be dead - setclock says "battery backed-up
>clock not found".  Once I set the time manually, it works fine.. so I would
>guess that the 8520's are not the problem.  Also, switching them had no effect.
>What gives?  Might I need to replace the clock chip?

<Sigh.>  This may need to go into a FAQ.

The Amigas that are so equipped (A500 w/A501, A2x00, A3000) use a
battery-backed Real-Time Clock to load the system's 8520 RTC on startup.
Your battery-backed RTC clock may indeed be dead, but it may just had
its registers stomped on by a buggy program or a program that didn't
play by the rules.  The program setclock that comes with the system
can be used to reset the clock.  After booting and setting the system
date and time, from a CLI do this:

	1> setclock reset
	1> setclock load

and your clock should come back to life.  Make sure you use the WB 1.2,
1.3.2, or higher version of setclock as the WB 1.3 version has a bug that
prevents the reset option from working.

If this doesn't work, there is a hardware problem; most likely, a dead
battery.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.190830.15691@cs.cornell.edu> johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) writes:
[...]
>	1> setclock reset
>	1> setclock load
                    ^^^^
Correction!!  That should be "setclock save", although this step just sets
the clock to the correct time.  The "setclock reset" is the one that revives
the clock.