[net.space] Weightless Ob/Gyn

koch@chopin.DEC (Kevin Koch LTN1-2/B17 DTN229-6274) (09/22/85)

     When this topic resurfaced I realized there is a model that
shows us that weightless birth and menstuation work just fine --
cetaceans have been doing it for millions of years.

Kevin Koch (Koch is it!)
... decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-handel!koch // koch%handel.dec@decwrl.ARPA

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (09/27/85)

> ... weightless birth and menstuation work just fine --
> cetaceans have been doing it for millions of years.
1 - they are not in a weightless environment
2 - they are also in a solution, so whatever liquids released become
	part of that solution (in air, this would be comperable to a
	gas, which I presume they put up with and have mechanics to
	cope with)
3 - they also do lots of other stuff right where they are that would
	be socially, hygenically and mechanically unacceptible in a
	space vehicle
4 - do they really have monthly (+/-) menstruation cycles, or is it more
	like once a year if they aren't pregnant and then they are likely
	to get knocked up?
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/30/85)

I thought only apes and people menstruate ?

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (10/03/85)

In article <10600008@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

>I thought only apes and people menstruate ?

And German Shepards. :-)
--

-  Sean Casey                           UUCP:  sean@ukma.UUCP   or
-  Department of Mathematics                   {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean