[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2091 rev 6.6 ROM announcement

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/27/91)

In article <greg.672722726@travis> greg@travis.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) writes:

Mistaken attribution to:
>In <8860@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

>>[ This should get that one guy who keeps griping about his pair ]
>>[ of hard drives locking up to quiet down.     -Dan             ]
>
>Don't know who you're referring to (could be me) but I think this statement
>is totally inappropriate.  A lot of loyal Commodore customers have
>waited a long time for this.  Many, like myself, have been waiting for over
>a year for Commodore to fix the problem.  Watching our A2091s go out of
>warranty while the fix was always something that we "shouldn't worry about,
>it'll be along RSN.  Trust us."

   I suggest you unwedge your head from between your cheeks:

   If you had bothered to read this thread befor flaming, the attribution
   is mistakenly made to Randall Jesup.

   You also seem to be a bit paranoid - "They could be talking about me!", or
   perhaps you have an inflated sense of self worth.

>We've waited through official stonewalling and comp.sys.amiga blacklisting.
>Commodore didn't even completely 'fess up to the problem till January
>of this year.  What a way to treat your customers - make them feel
>crazy about a problem and when they ask you about it, tell them they're
>full of shit.

  I'm sure that's thier exact words. "You're full of shit." Listen smarty-
  pants, when I worked in the SCSI drive industry, for Imprimis, on the
  Wren 5/6/7 product line, we sometimes would get customers complaining
  about a lockup with our drives. We tried our best to duplicate the
  problems they had, and to figure out how to fix the problem, even if it
  was the host's problem, and not the drives. SCSI is a hell of an
  interface, with lots of strange edge cases. Sometimes we *could* *not*
  duplicate a customer's problem, no matter how we tried. Commodore has
  figured out what the problem is now. Who pissed dioxin in your post
  toasties and made you fly off like this over a mis-attribution?

>We've had to put up with a lot of insecurity about who would pay for the
>fix and if Commodore would ever come up with a fix.

  Sometimes it takes *months* of testing to ascertain what set of
  conditions on a SCSI bus causes a particular problem with what
  combination of equipment. It is neither trivial nor fast and
  easy to fix these things.

>From the customer's point of view, it's not such a trivial matter to
>desire multiple-drive support on the A2091, as was advertised.  What's
>next, customers "griping" their machines won't boot out of the
>box?

  Apparrently due to a bug in the LSI, it's not such a trivial matter to
  implement multiple drive support on the A2091 *either*. It's a lot more
  trivial to "desire" something than to implement something.

>Shame on Commodore for the unnecessary disclaimer listed above.  This was
>a serious problem with Commodore hardware and NOT the fault of the individual
>purchasers - or would Commodore rather we just refer to them as
>the whiners?

  You're a pot calling the kettle black.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

greg@travis.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) (04/27/91)

In <8860@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

>[ This should get that one guy who keeps griping about his pair ]
>[ of hard drives locking up to quiet down.     -Dan             ]

Don't know who you're referring to (could be me) but I think this statement
is totally inappropriate.  A lot of loyal Commodore customers have
waited a long time for this.  Many, like myself, have been waiting for over
a year for Commodore to fix the problem.  Watching our A2091s go out of
warranty while the fix was always something that we "shouldn't worry about,
it'll be along RSN.  Trust us."

We've waited through official stonewalling and comp.sys.amiga blacklisting.
Commodore didn't even completely 'fess up to the problem till January
of this year.  What a way to treat your customers - make them feel
crazy about a problem and when they ask you about it, tell them they're
full of shit.

We've had to put up with a lot of insecurity about who would pay for the
fix and if Commodore would ever come up with a fix.

From the customer's point of view, it's not such a trivial matter to
desire multiple-drive support on the A2091, as was advertised.  What's
next, customers "griping" their machines won't boot out of the
box?

Shame on Commodore for the unnecessary disclaimer listed above.  This was
a serious problem with Commodore hardware and NOT the fault of the individual
purchasers - or would Commodore rather we just refer to them as
the whiners?
--
Gregory R. Travis                Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405
greg@cica.indiana.edu  		 Center for Innovative Computer Applicationls
"gave' fornu, fornu fake fail"   (Or something like that) - Cocteau twins

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (04/27/91)

greg@travis.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) writes:

>In <8860@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

>>[ This should get that one guy who keeps griping about his pair ]
>>[ of hard drives locking up to quiet down.     -Dan             ]

>Don't know who you're referring to (could be me) but I think this statement
>is totally inappropriate.  A lot of loyal Commodore customers have

>Shame on Commodore for the unnecessary disclaimer listed above.  This was

If you'll re-read the posting, that is Dan's comment, not Randell's or
any other CBM employee. As to it's accuracy or appropriateness.....
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (04/28/91)

  I generally don't followup or post often, but this last message from Greg
Travis really ticked me off...

  I have been a Commodore A2091 (rev 4.0 modified) owner for over a year, and
when hooking up two drives I discovered lockups..A call to a very trusted
dealer in the Detroit area(Michigan Software) confirmed I was not doing
anything wrong, Commodore had a service bulletin out in April '90 about the
Western Digital 'A' chip having a problem with multiple hard drives being
accessed at the same time..This was July '90 I found this out..(September I
bought a GVP Series II, and it didn't work properly with 2 drives either, it
would send the heads out of range on my ST-296NPR! CRUNCH! OUCH! R/W ERROR!
Try running a BBS and UUCP this this problem!)

  Saying that they ignore the problem, means that you never really contacted a
good service center that would go through their service bulletins and look for
any reference to the problem....IF they really ignored the problem, there
would NEVER be a fix, would there? It was WELL known by Commodore, they are
the ones that made the service bulletin saying 'We swapped the WD chip and are
currently testing...' and 'A service bulletin will be released in the future
with a solution for this problem.'

  Why should someone have to come on this net and tell you that you got a
problem? You knew about the problem, and if you would have contacted a service
center they would have found an answer for you...Maybe any answer given on the
net were suggestions to get you by until corrective measures were avaiable.

  Like now I have a A2232 board that doesn't send hardware breaks, contacted
another computer store and they called Commodore, and then Commodore confirmed
it was a problem with the board and that service bulletins will be released
when a fix is found.  You see be bellyaching about it? I can't UUCP off my
2232 board because I can't send breaks, and its delayed my purchase of a
Telebit T2500, but I will be patient and give them time to make sure the
problems are corrected...

  What I am saying, no one is perfect, and if you give them a chance to work,
they will take care of you...Remember, Commodore WANTS your business, and
allmost all their sales are from word of mouth.

Ron
--
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis

In article <greg.672722726@travis> greg@travis.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) writes:
>In <8860@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>
>>[ This should get that one guy who keeps griping about his pair ]
>>[ of hard drives locking up to quiet down.     -Dan             ]

	I don't think it's appropriate for me to respond to most of this
message, other than to say that there is a difference between Commodore
and service centers/dealers, and that the problem and (I think) status of
warranty issues have been disseminated for far longer than was mentioned.
Don't blame Commodore because we don't make public statements on the net -
our lawyers don't let us except in unusual cases (and only with 10 dozen
signatures).

	If someone has a problem that is not being resolved by their local
dealer and/or service center, I would strongly advise that they write
a letter (snail-mail) to the department of Customer Satisfaction here at
Commodore - helping out people is what they get paid to do, and I've seen
them go to considerable lengths on occasion to do so.  If you do write a
letter, remember that politeness, facts, and a straightforward, reasonable
approach always works better than flaming, contrary to what most people on
the net seem to think from their actions.  1/2 :-)

>Shame on Commodore for the unnecessary disclaimer listed above.  This was
>a serious problem with Commodore hardware and NOT the fault of the individual
>purchasers - or would Commodore rather we just refer to them as
>the whiners?

	NOTE: I did _not_ write that, it was added by the c.s.a.announce
moderator.

#include <std/disclaimer>
{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

greg@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) (04/30/91)

Apologies are in order to Randell - since I read the announcement in
comp.sys.amiga.hardware, I assumed "Dan" was a colleague of Randell's.  It
appeared the submission was included explicitly by Randell.  I don't read
comp.sys.amiga.announce.

Ben Mesander writes:
>  Apparrently due to a bug in the LSI, it's not such a trivial matter to
>  implement multiple drive support on the A2091 *either*. It's a lot more
>  trivial to "desire" something than to implement something.

That's not germane to the long standing problem of multiple-drives on
the A2091.  The unit was adertised in such a way as to make one believe
that it was capable of handling multiple SCSI drives, which pre-6.6ROMS
is was not.  The complexity of a particular implementation is not a
direct customer responsibility, so don't blame me for how "hard" it
is to do.  The contract implicitly specifies that for a given amount of capital
Commodore will supply a SCSI-compliant disk controller with multiple drive
support.  Else we have recourse to the warranty.  This is not an
unreasonable request and it's one sucessfully accomplished by countless
vendors before Commodore's attempt.

My warranty expired two months ago, long before this announcement.

Randell writes:

>	If someone has a problem that is not being resolved by their local
>dealer and/or service center, I would strongly advise that they write
>a letter (snail-mail) to the department of Customer Satisfaction here at
>Commodore - helping out people is what they get paid to do, and I've seen
>them go to considerable lengths on occasion to do so.  If you do write a
>letter, remember that politeness, facts, and a straightforward, reasonable
>approach always works better than flaming, contrary to what most people on
>the net seem to think from their actions.  1/2 :-)

Good advice, but it didn't work in my case.  I visited dealers/service centers
from the Midwest and New York.  As of two months ago none of them knew
anything, except some did know there was a problem with the A2091.  I also
called and wrote Commodore without success.  How hard to you expect the
average Amiga owner to work to try and find the solution to the problem?

Ronald Kushner writes:

>  Why should someone have to come on this net and tell you that you got a
>problem? You knew about the problem, and if you would have contacted a service
>center they would have found an answer for you...Maybe any answer given on the
>net were suggestions to get you by until corrective measures were avaiable.

I contacted several service centers, none of which knew of the problem.  You're
very lucky to have such an uber-dealer because, believe me, they're rare.
I knew about the problem, but it was denied by a lot of people for a long
time.

It's easy to say what one should've done, given an ideal case and a
benevolent service organization.  And perfect communication between all
levels of the company.  And then to detail how the problem will be perfectly
resolved.  But it didn't happen this time.
--

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (05/02/91)

In article <rkushner.9398@sycom.UUCP>, rkushner@sycom.UUCP
(Ronald Kushner) writes:

> September I bought a GVP Series II, and it didn't work
> properly with 2 drives either, it would send the heads out
> of range on my ST-296NPR! CRUNCH! OUCH! R/W ERROR!

This is utter nonsense!

The driver will only access blocks that have been requested
by the filesystem. There is NO WAY a SCSI host adapter's
driver could step a drive's heads outside the valid range -
SCSI isn't ST-506 or trackdisk.device! Something like this
could only be done by the SCSI drive controller's firmware.
And even _if_ an invalid block would be requested, then the
drive is supposed to reject this request with an error.

Ralph

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (05/03/91)

>In article <07643.AA07643@babylon.rmt.sub.org> rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) writes:
>In article <rkushner.9398@sycom.UUCP>, rkushner@sycom.UUCP
>(Ronald Kushner) writes:
>
>> September I bought a GVP Series II, and it didn't work
>> properly with 2 drives either, it would send the heads out
>> of range on my ST-296NPR! CRUNCH! OUCH! R/W ERROR!
>
>This is utter nonsense!
>
>The driver will only access blocks that have been requested
>by the filesystem. There is NO WAY a SCSI host adapter's
>driver could step a drive's heads outside the valid range -
>SCSI isn't ST-506 or trackdisk.device! Something like this
>could only be done by the SCSI drive controller's firmware.
>And even _if_ an invalid block would be requested, then the
>drive is supposed to reject this request with an error.

You are correct. When I initially partitioned my ST-296n, the Microbotics
mountlist initially had one too many cylinders. The drive does not "send
the heads out of range." The drive returns an "Illegal Request" SCSI
sense code when access to those blocks was detected.

Note: I used to develop SCSI firmware for CDC/Imprimis/Seagate. I *know*
this to be the case. SCSI does *not* access the drive on a cylinder, head,
sector basis, and can *not* cause the drive to slam its heads. Now you
may have a defective drive, that's another matter.

--

gfradl@instem.UUCP (George Fradl) (05/05/91)

>In an article Ben Mesander wrote:

>You are correct. When I initially partitioned my ST-296n, the Microbotics
>mountlist initially had one too many cylinders. The drive does not "send
>the heads out of range." The drive returns an "Illegal Request" SCSI
>sense code when access to those blocks was detected.

>Note: I used to develop SCSI firmware for CDC/Imprimis/Seagate. I *know*
>this to be the case. SCSI does *not* access the drive on a cylinder, head,
>sector basis, and can *not* cause the drive to slam its heads. Now you
>may have a defective drive, that's another matter.

  Well I'm sure if you worked with the SCSI devices you know what you are
talking about.  But I have a GVP Series II controller also with 2 drives on
it, one is an ST-296.  Seems my 296 does the same CLUNKing sound Ron Krushner
whote about with his.  Chances are its just the Seagate drives, from what
I have been hearing they are not quite "top of the line".

George G Fradl   gfradl@instem.uucp