[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Will the Commodore 1902A RGBI monitor work with an A1000?

maltasr@athena.ecs.csus.edu (Robert Maltas) (05/04/91)

I just purchased 3 kits from DigiTek, Inc. to convert Commodore 1702
monitors into RGBI monitors. According to the manual:
  "When properly adjusted, this conversion will give you a display
   that is equivalent, and in some cases, better than the 1902A
   monitor."

I'm wondering-----do RGBI monitors work with the Amiga? Do I need a
specially wired cable to hook these monitors to my Amigas?

Will I get all 4096 colors?

After installing this RGBI Conversion System, it results in a
a 9 pin cable with a male end, ready to plug into a Commodore 128
computer. Does anyone know the pinouts for this cable?

Thanks.

Robert Maltas
maltasr@athena.ecs.csus.edu

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May3.233725.2747@csusac.csus.edu> maltasr@athena.ecs.csus.edu (Robert Maltas) writes:
>I'm wondering-----do RGBI monitors work with the Amiga? Do I need a
>specially wired cable to hook these monitors to my Amigas?
>
>Will I get all 4096 colors?

Unfortunately, no.  TTL RGBI monitors give you one bit for each of red,
green, and blue for a total of 8 hues and one bit of intensity for a total
of 15 different colors (intensity has no effect on black--twice nothing is
still nothing.)

I believe the Amiga 23-pin video port can be wired for RGBI, but I'd rather
run the monitor with the painful, eye-torturing, composite video than RGBI.
Well, perhaps text might come out better on your converted 1702 in RGBI
than composite.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.