[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Pacific Peripherals Slots?

mf39+@andrew.cmu.edu (Manuel Faehndrich) (04/30/91)

I bought a pacific peripherals 2Meg ram expansion second hand. The box
is huge and so I opened it up to see why. I found that the box has two
slots, one occupied by the 2Meg expansion card, the other free.

Does *anybody* know if these slots are standard, what standard, what
cards are available to plug in there, or simply does anybody know how to
contact Pacific Peripherals?

Thanks,
- Manuel

pnelson@tymix.Tymnet.COM (Phil Nelson) (04/30/91)

In article <Ic78d0q00VolECws0Y@andrew.cmu.edu> mf39+@andrew.cmu.edu (Manuel Faehndrich) writes:

>I bought a pacific peripherals 2Meg ram expansion second hand. The box
>is huge and so I opened it up to see why. I found that the box has two
>slots, one occupied by the 2Meg expansion card, the other free.
>
>Does *anybody* know if these slots are standard, what standard, what
>cards are available to plug in there, or simply does anybody know how to
>contact Pacific Peripherals?

 I think this is the same as my Pacific Cypress (the company changed names,
several times) box, and the slot is supposed to be some kind of Zorro, but
it doesn't look long enough for Zorro II cards.

 The owner of the local computer store told me that he was never able to
get anything to run reliably in the 2nd slot of these boxes, so I have not
tried. If anyone knows different, I would like to hear about it, my 1000
needs a hard disk, It would be nice to put an inexpensive SCSI controller
in that 2nd slot, if such a thing existed.

--
Phil Nelson @ BT North America Inc. [ames|pyramid]!oliveb!tymix!pnelson
 "I am confident that they will understand from this that the logo does

tlw00@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Tom Wright) (05/01/91)

In article <Ic78d0q00VolECws0Y@andrew.cmu.edu> mf39+@andrew.cmu.edu (Manuel Faehndrich) writes:

> I bought a pacific peripherals 2Meg ram expansion second hand. The box
> is huge and so I opened it up to see why. I found that the box has two
> slots, one occupied by the 2Meg expansion card, the other free.
>
> Does *anybody* know if these slots are standard, what standard, what
> cards are available to plug in there, or simply does anybody know how to
> contact Pacific Peripherals?
>
> Thanks,
> - Manuel

The Pacific Peripherals RAM expansion you mention is actually
an expansion box, called the Subsystem since it lives under the A500,
with two A2000 slots. Mine has the CBM A2052 2M RAM card and the
Pacific Peripherals Overdrive SCSI controller card in it. They used to
be in Fremont, California but I believe they went out of business a year
or two ago. I upgraded the Overdrive to the autobooting version when they
made it available and I recently replaced the Subsystem power supply (it
fried a transistor after running hot for years) with a used PC power
supply from Weird Stuff Warehouse for ten dollars.

lou@vaxsc (05/02/91)

In article <3ctY02B307aJ01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>, Tom Wright
<tlw00@duts.ccc.amdahl.com> writes:

>The Pacific Peripherals RAM expansion you mention is actually
>an expansion box, called the Subsystem since it lives under the A500,
>with two A2000 slots. Mine has the CBM A2052 2M RAM card and the
>Pacific Peripherals Overdrive SCSI controller card in it. They used to
>be in Fremont, California but I believe they went out of business a year
>or two ago. I upgraded the Overdrive to the autobooting version when they
>made it available and I recently replaced the Subsystem power supply (it
>fried a transistor after running hot for years) with a used PC power
>supply from Weird Stuff Warehouse for ten dollars.

I was about to ask you how you were running the A2052 in yours.  Pacific
Peripherals specifically told me that the power supply wasn't strong
enough to handle that card, so I sent it back.  Then I read your message
further...

Cest la' vie.

        -Lou Williams            Via Bitnet :   william8@niehs.bitnet
                                Via Internet:   lou@vaxsc.niehs.nih.gov
        Computer Sciences Corporation,    Research Triangle Park, NC
        -Sometimes in order to feel better about yourself, you have to
        make others feel bad, and I'm tired of making others feel good
        about themselves.               -Homer Simpson.

mf39+@andrew.cmu.edu (Manuel Faehndrich) (05/05/91)

The expansion box I was talking about is for the A1000, not A500. There
is no power supply in there either.

So can the two slots be Zorro II standard on my version of the box?

-Manuel

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (05/09/91)

In article <52393@nigel.ee.udel.edu> lou@vaxsc writes:
>In article <3ctY02B307aJ01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>, Tom Wright
><tlw00@duts.ccc.amdahl.com> writes:
>
>I was about to ask you how you were running the A2052 in yours.  Pacific
>Peripherals specifically told me that the power supply wasn't strong
>enough to handle that card, so I sent it back.  Then I read your message
>further...
>
>Cest la' vie.

	That explains it! Before buying my A2000, I tried to retrofit my
A1000, but with a Phonix Toolbox (same thing). I plugged in my GVP HC/40Q
and my A2058, but for the life of me they wouldn't work together.

	BTW, what is the difference between the A2052 and A2058 ?

-jeff