[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] CSA 40/4 Magnum

billc@cryo.UUCP (William J. Coldwell) (05/11/91)

In article <mmm.1165@reaper.Chi.IL.US> mmm@reaper.Chi.IL.US (Michael Marvin
 Morrison) writes:
>In article <1991May8.185513.14126@clark.edu> danr@clark.edu (Dan Reuther)
 writes:

[eaten by my tame line eater]

>>    1.   I know that the A3000 will support the 68040 but am I correct in
>>       saying that the A2000 will not support the chip?
>
>No.  CSA has created an '040 board that goes in the processor slot, and
>sports a SCSI2 hd interface.  I believe that it can support up to 32 megs
>of ram also. It was apparently demo'd at a show in NYC.  According to CSA
>"The hard drive controller is so fast, that 'they haven't made a hard drive
>that can keep up with it yet'".  I believe it is scheduled for release Q4
>of this year, and is an expensive item.  If you want more info, call CSA
>at: (619) 566-3911..

The wire-wrapped prototype was shown with no SCSI, just SRAM and some DRAM.
It got too hot to run for very long because of the mask of the 040 at the
time.  The SCSI is a bus master on the 32bit bus, and will do along the
lines of 5MB/sec async, and 10MB/sec sync, so their statement is true (to
the best of my knowledge ;-).  Either 16 or 32M, comes with 4M.  Most
likely early Q4.  I should have the SCSI, parallel, and serial software in
a state to show at DisneyWorld in July.  I don't think they can tell you
anymore that what you already know, or what I have told you ;-).

[more stuff eaten]

--
  +------+ William J. Coldwell  Amiga Attitude Adjuster  Cryogenic Software
 /|     /| PLink: CRYO, BIX: wjcoldwell, UUCP:...tektronix!percy!cryo!billc
+------+   STD_DSCLMR "All opinions above are mine, and you can't have them."