[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] If anyone wants to build a CCD camera...

antunes@astro.psu.edu (Sandy Antunes) (05/06/91)

Hello.  Well, off-news email conversations with john guineau about
CCD cameras led me to eventually find a source for CCDs.
  So, if anyone wants to build a B&W CCD camera for digitizing, I
thought this information would be of general use.  I am not affiliated
with Hamilton/Avnet, by the way, nor have I bought from them.  This
is just a source I found.  Oh, and if anyone knows where guineau keeps
his account these days, tell him my messages to him kept bouncing. :-)

  Well, if you want CCDs, I finally found a source.  The company is
Hamilton/Avnet (sounds like something out of Neuromancer!) and they
have a 1-800 number for their Pittsburgh branch of 1-800-321-6890.
I don't have their most recent catalog, only a 1985 edition (I've
ordered a newer one!) so I am not sure what the prices are now since
CCD technology had become a lot cheaper now.  They had some there
for under $500, so they might have ones now even less!  They have them
for several quality levels so it might be possible to pick up one
for the same price as your average B&W video camera, which would be
nice.
new info-- i just called H/A... their old 1-800 number is dead.
The new one is 1-800-257-8110.  They also don't make a catalog
anymore... they just have a list of companys whose products they
carry (and one assumes they can get anything from those companys)
antunes@astrod.astro.psu.edu     Sandy Antunes, El Loco d'Waupelani
  it's 2am... do you know what time it is?      -------------------

In article <52744@nigel.ee.udel.edu> antunes@astro.psu.edu (Sandy Antunes) writes:
>  So, if anyone wants to build a B&W CCD camera for digitizing, I
>thought this information would be of general use.
>
>  Well, if you want CCDs, I finally found a source.

This reminds me of the old days some years ago where Steve Ciarcia (sp?)
in Byte magazine had that project to use a normal DRAM chip as a CCD element.
I was very much intrigued by this idea, but never had time to try it.

berger@clio.sts.uiuc.edu (Mike Berger) (05/12/91)

peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>This reminds me of the old days some years ago where Steve Ciarcia (sp?)
>in Byte magazine had that project to use a normal DRAM chip as a CCD element.
>I was very much intrigued by this idea, but never had time to try it.
*----
I'm not sure Ciarcia deserves credit for this.  The manufacturer's
literature I received on a very early CCD video element clearly stated
that it was just a DRAM chip in a funny package.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois