[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Fat AGNUS outgrowing it's socket!!

kamran@dialogic.com (Kamran Vaziri) (05/09/91)

I have an A500 with a rev 5 mother board and I'm constantly having to reseat
the AGNUS chip.  It'll work for a while, anywhere from 30min-5hrs, then the
computer locks up and I get a garbled screen.  When I reboot, the screen stops
on green and the power light blinks.  I'm at the point where I just keep the
cover off because it's such a hassle taking it off everytime I use the thing.
It also seems to occur earlier if I put it all together (as if to really annoy
me).  Who says computers don't have a mind of their own!!  Has anyone else had
this problem??  Anyway to solve it??  Is it the socket or the soldering??  Is
it my AGNUS at all??  What day is it???  Who am I?????  Where am I?????????

   ///
  ///Kam
\XX/kamran@dialogic.com

"Every Saturday we work in the yard,
 pick up the dog doo, hope that it's hard..." - Joe Walsh :)

bpv9073@sjfc.UUCP (Brett VanSprewenburg) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May08.185945.11611@dialogic.com> kamran@dialogic.com (Kamran Vaziri) writes:
>I have an A500 with a rev 5 mother board and I'm constantly having to reseat
>the AGNUS chip.  It'll work for a while, anywhere from 30min-5hrs, then the
>computer locks up and I get a garbled screen.  When I reboot, the screen stops
>on green and the power light blinks.  I'm at the point where I just keep the
>cover off because it's such a hassle taking it off everytime I use the thing.

When I upgraded the Agnus in my A500 to the 1 meg version, I did some
preventive maitanence. With my chip puller, because of the tiny little
'hook' on the end of it, I pried out EACH of the about 250,000 little
contacts (exaggerated number) in the Agnus socket so as to make good
contact with the new chip. I didn't really pull on them that hard,
just a little respringing of them. Could be a bad contact in your socket,
and the heating of the Agnus chip DOES make it move, so you may want to
check those contacts. If you do this, be careful, those contacts are small
and look fragile. Not responsible for damage etc, etc...

Obligitory quote: "If you can't enjoy yourself, enjoy someone else."

==Brett

pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May08.185945.11611@dialogic.com> kamran@dialogic.com (Kamran Vaziri) writes:
>I have an A500 with a rev 5 mother board and I'm constantly having to reseat
>the AGNUS chip.  It'll work for a while, anywhere from 30min-5hrs, then the
>computer locks up and I get a garbled screen.  When I reboot, the screen stops
>on green and the power light blinks.  I'm at the point where I just keep the
>cover off because it's such a hassle taking it off everytime I use the thing.
>It also seems to occur earlier if I put it all together (as if to really annoy
>me).  Who says computers don't have a mind of their own!!  Has anyone else had
>this problem??  Anyway to solve it??  Is it the socket or the soldering??  Is
>it my AGNUS at all??  What day is it???  Who am I?????  Where am I?????????

Yes, YES, YES!!  I have had this problem on BOTH an A500 and A2000.  Don't
ask me why, I guess it's a crappy socket or something.  Used to drive me
bananas until I found out what the culprit was!

What I eventually did that solved the problem, was to take the Agnus chip
out entirely, and clean/treat the pins with "Cramolin".  No problems since.

Cramolin is this incredible elixir that you can buy either as little bottles
from Monster Cable (as I did), or at electronics supply houses.  In the
form I use, the red-colored liquid cleans and de-oxidizes the contacts,
and the blue-colored liquid coats and 'molecularly fills' the metal
surfaces afterwards.  I treated both the chip pins and the socket contacts.

Cramolin is amazing stuff.  Everyone who does _anything_ with hardware
should have some.

Hope it helps!

				Philip
				pk@wet.uucp