[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A500 HD

gjackson@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ginger M. Jackson) (04/29/91)

	Hi.  I am looking for some info on the access speeds of both the GVP
and Supra hard drives.  Any help would be appreciated.  Also, has anyone out
there had and good or bad experiences with the mail order company Mongomery
Grants out of NY.  Thanks in advance.

Ginger.

v104nmym@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Sherman T Chan) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr28.201142.26545@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, gjackson@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ginger M. Jackson) writes...

>	Hi.  I am looking for some info on the access speeds of both the GVP
>and Supra hard drives.  Any help would be appreciated.  Also, has anyone out
>there had and good or bad experiences with the mail order company Mongomery
>Grants out of NY.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Ginger.
I don'tknow how their mail  order dealis, but for a long time this place was known
as anotorious  bait and switch operation that resold defective returns
to try to get people to  buy their  service contracts.
I got  my C64 there years ago, and they tried all kinds of  bullshit to
get me to buy a third partydrive  instead of a 1541, like making up crap
like how CBM wasmaking defective drives that would damage the C64 and
how they  were going to returnhtheir stock.
I toldhim  he wasfull of it, and if hedidn't sellme what I wanted, I
was leaving.  Then he comes  back with this box with  an ovbviously  used
C64 in  it, and I told himtake that crap back and give me a new one
and   he  says some craplike  it is new, theyjust opened this
one  to "check" out what CBM was sending him.
Again,I told him  he  was fullof crap,and if I didn't get a  good one
I wasleaving.  I  was expecting to get thrown out of the store, but
he came back with  what I  wanted and I bought it.  Noproblems
since then,andm,y brother  is still using  the  64 today
(This was backin  84).   My mother said all this crapwould
never  had happenedif I went with my father (I was only 13,at
the time), that they  pulled it because I was a little  kid,
but I figure any place that pulls crap like that  on anyone
isn'tworth shopping at unless you  really  can'tafford to
paymore (which I couldn't at the  time).
I'msurprised  these guys didn't get shut down along  with
Camera World (another sleazy  NYC electronics place) when  the
NYC authorities cracked down and made an exam,ple of that place.
ButI guess after over 20  yearsexperien ce, they really  learned
how  to beat the system.

-Sherm

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr28.201142.26545@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> gjackson@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ginger M. Jackson) writes:

>	Hi.  I am looking for some info on the access speeds of both the GVP
>and Supra hard drives.  Any help would be appreciated.  Also, has anyone out

  GVP = fast

  Supra = not so fast

>there had and good or bad experiences with the mail order company Mongomery
>Grants out of NY.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Ginger.

  Do not ever order anything from Montgomery Grant. Not even disk labels.
I once ordered a computer from Montgomery Grant, and canceled it one half
hour later. After passing the Inquisition for Canceled Orders, I still
received the $1000 system via UPS and had to tell the driver it was canceled.

  I almost ordered my Amiga from there, too. They charged me $50 for a
surge protector, which I later bought for $6 at SEARS. They charge lots of
hidden fees, and often sell broken equipment or rebuilt machines. They rarely
follow their gaurantees too.

  Ever notice how their prices are 'SO LOW WE ARE NOT PERMITTED TO PRINT
THEM' in Amiga World, yet they go ahead and print them in other magazines
anyway? Take two different magazines for the same month, that both have
Montgomery Grant ads. Notice that at the top of the page it says the month
and the magazine name. Then notice any differences in the prices. If there
are many other Amiga vendors in he issue, the prices are low. Otherwise, the
prices are as much as 30% higher.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

lou@vaxsc (05/02/91)

In article <1991May2.015645.21767@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, David Tiberio
<dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu> writes:

> Do not ever order anything from Montgomery Grant. Not even disk labels.

[edited for television]

>  Ever notice how their prices are 'SO LOW WE ARE NOT PERMITTED TO PRINT
>THEM' in Amiga World, yet they go ahead and print them in other magazines

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that AmigaWorld won't let their
advertisers print prices of Amiga's in their magazine.  I thought this change
came about at around the same time Mr. Copperman was phasing out mail-order
Amiga's.

I know it's been said before, but as one Commodore employee once told me,
and I assume it's still true,  (unofficially, of course)

"All I can say is that they're not an authorized Commodore-Amiga dealer."

If I were buying a computer, that would say it all, to me.  All usual
disclaimers apply, anything contained within is my own opinion.

        -Lou Williams            Via Bitnet :   william8@niehs.bitnet
                                Via Internet:   lou@vaxsc.niehs.nih.gov
        Computer Sciences Corporation,    Research Triangle Park, NC
        -Sometimes in order to feel better about yourself, you have to
        make others feel bad, and I'm tired of making others feel good
        about themselves.               -Homer Simpson.

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May2.015645.21767@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>In article <1991Apr28.201142.26545@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> gjackson@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ginger M. Jackson) writes:
>>
>>there had and good or bad experiences with the mail order company Mongomery
>>Grants out of NY.  Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Ginger.
>
>  Do not ever order anything from Montgomery Grant. Not even disk labels.

	I am going to speak on behalf of Montgomery Grant. I've bought stuff
from them before and didn't regret it. One time I bought an Amiga 5 1/4 disk
drive from them. When it arrived it was dead. I called them up and obtained
an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization). At the same time they sent me a
replacement!

>I once ordered a computer from Montgomery Grant, and canceled it one half
>hour later. After passing the Inquisition for Canceled Orders, I still
>received the $1000 system via UPS and had to tell the driver it was canceled.

	GIVE ME A BREAK! This is absurd!

>  I almost ordered my Amiga from there, too. They charged me $50 for a
>surge protector, which I later bought for $6 at SEARS.

	Pretty cheap surge suppressor! I think I paid something $75 - $139
for the strip I have on my computer (Software Central) and the strip I
have on my stereo/TV (Federated Group). Great if you got the same quality.
Sears has never been my first choice!

 They charge lots of
>hidden fees, and often sell broken equipment or rebuilt machines.

	Well I can't address this issue. At the time I was buying stuff I
never was aware of any monkey business.

 They rarely
>follow their gaurantees too.

	Never had to chase them.

>  Ever notice how their prices are 'SO LOW WE ARE NOT PERMITTED TO PRINT
>THEM' in Amiga World, yet they go ahead and print them in other magazines
>anyway?

	This shit is advertising gimmicks. Maybe their the only ones that
print that line, but the rest instead of stating the price say - CALL. I
really hate that. They're saying call, because they're keeping tabs on what
the other vendors are selling merchandise for so they can offer it for less.
If they printed the price, they'd loose out if another vendor was selling
the samething for less.

 Take two different magazines for the same month, that both have
>Montgomery Grant ads. Notice that at the top of the page it says the month
>and the magazine name. Then notice any differences in the prices. If there
>are many other Amiga vendors in he issue, the prices are low. Otherwise, the
>prices are as much as 30% higher.

	You have to keep your eyes open. Most vendors will total your bill
for you. Perhaps what you saw was a misprint. They have no way of knowing
from which magazine you're referring to, unless you explicitly tell them.
If there's a descrepensy, bring it to their attention.

	I've been sitting idley by while Montgomery Grant has been getting the
short end of the stick. Maybe they burned someone - I don't know. I don't
share your demise.

-jeff

dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May8.214233.5368@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> jdickson@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:
>In article <1991May2.015645.21767@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>>In article <1991Apr28.201142.26545@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> gjackson@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ginger M. Jackson) writes:
>>>
>>>there had and good or bad experiences with the mail order company Mongomery
>>>Grants out of NY.  Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>Ginger.
>>
>>  Do not ever order anything from Montgomery Grant. Not even disk labels.
>
>	I am going to speak on behalf of Montgomery Grant. I've bought stuff
>from them before and didn't regret it. One time I bought an Amiga 5 1/4 disk
>drive from them. When it arrived it was dead. I called them up and obtained
>an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization). At the same time they sent me a
>replacement!
>
>>  I almost ordered my Amiga from there, too. They charged me $50 for a
>>surge protector, which I later bought for $6 at SEARS.
>
>	Pretty cheap surge suppressor! I think I paid something $75 - $139
>for the strip I have on my computer (Software Central) and the strip I
>have on my stereo/TV (Federated Group). Great if you got the same quality.
>Sears has never been my first choice!

  You must have a repairable surge protector. They are more expensive.
Mine is a fry-once-and-toss-it. :)

> Take two different magazines for the same month, that both have
>>Montgomery Grant ads. Notice that at the top of the page it says the month
>>and the magazine name. Then notice any differences in the prices. If there
>>are many other Amiga vendors in he issue, the prices are low. Otherwise, the
>>prices are as much as 30% higher.
>
>	You have to keep your eyes open. Most vendors will total your bill
>for you. Perhaps what you saw was a misprint. They have no way of knowing

  Once I refernced all of there products, of which there were big
differences, even in comnparing C64 magazines.

>from which magazine you're referring to, unless you explicitly tell them.

  Try calling them and asking about prices or make a fake order. One of
the first things they do is ask what magazine and month you are reading
from. And never say 'I don't know which magazine it was from', because it
will give them a reason to increase the price.

>	I've been sitting idley by while Montgomery Grant has been getting the
>short end of the stick. Maybe they burned someone - I don't know. I don't
>share your demise.

  Well, it was never that bad for me, or for my friends. Usually they fixed
what needed to be fixed. But I knew there was something fishy, and I didn't
go berserk about it until I heard all of the horror stories here on the net.

>-jeff
>
>>    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce

  Actually, I don't trust too many vendors anyway. When I had my A500
cleaned I marked all of my chips just in case. :) But hey, for $30 it
started working again!

  Well, you're taking your chances. Try calling Commodore and say, "Oh
I just bought a computer from Montgomery Grant a week ago and would like to
know how long the manufacturers warranty is". I think the normal warranty
is one year, but try the above and see what Commodore says about your
Montgomery Grant purchase.
--
           David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
   "If you think that we're here for the money, we could live without it.