[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] AT bus in 2000 and 3000

andyg@crash.cts.com (Andy Guevara) (04/27/91)

Please excuse my dumb question...

We are looking at possibly using the Amiga chassis as a controller
to house AT bus cards and still run 68000 programs to control the
cards. My question: Is the AT side EISA?

The reason is that we might try to use alternate processors on the
AT side.

Also, do I understand correctly that the 3000 only has 2 AT slots?

Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Andy

"If you are pregnant or nursing,      |    -= Andy Guevara =-
please seek the advice of a doctor    |  {anywhere}!crash!andyg
before using this information."       |

In article <8848@crash.cts.com> andyg@crash.cts.com (Andy Guevara) writes:
>Please excuse my dumb question...

>We are looking at possibly using the Amiga chassis as a controller
>to house AT bus cards and still run 68000 programs to control the
>cards. My question: Is the AT side EISA?

No.  "AT Slot" == "ISA Slot", at least in 90's-speak.  "ISA" means "Industry
Standard Architecture", since apparently "the industry" has taken over this
bus since abandoned by IBM (can't say as I blame them, even if they did
invent it).  Enhanced ISA, EISA, is an attempt to build a bus that's upward
compatible with ISA and somewhat modern (multi-mastered, shared-interrupts,
intelligent configuration, the normal Amiga-bus stuff).

>The reason is that we might try to use alternate processors on the
>AT side.

I guess that would be a job for EISA, if your only other choice is ISA.

>Also, do I understand correctly that the 3000 only has 2 AT slots?

The A3000 has two ISA slots that only have power attached to them.  You plug
in a "Bridge Card", which is either a PC-XT or AT on an Amiga bus card, and
the ISA bus gets driven.  That leaves one free slot on the A3000.  With an
A3000T, you can have three free ISA slots.

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

jtravis@dworkin.Amber.COM (Jim, Sysop) (05/05/91)

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

> No.  "AT Slot" == "ISA Slot", at least in 90's-speak.  "ISA" means "Industry
> Standard Architecture", since apparently "the industry" has taken over this
> bus since abandoned by IBM (can't say as I blame them, even if they did
> invent it).  Enhanced ISA, EISA, is an attempt to build a bus that's upward
> compatible with ISA and somewhat modern (multi-mastered, shared-interrupts,
> intelligent configuration, the normal Amiga-bus stuff).

        Hey Dave - why can't CBM sue other people for stealing the look and
feel of the Amiga software and hardware?  Seems a little crummy that we can
be preyed upon, you know?  Who knows...properly followed up on, CBM could be
on to some big $$$ if they could ever prove technical/intellectual theft was
at work here.  I guess after having gone from an A1000 to a 2000, then a
2500/30 and now a 3000, I wish CBM could keep a bit more of the edge it has
seemingly pioneered.

        And howzabout that 24-bit graphics driver for Workbench.  Got one
yet? I'd like to decide on a Hi-res card, but don't know what direction to
go!

> --
> Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>    {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>       "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

--------///-----------------------------------------------------------
       ///   Jim Trascapoulos  *  CSAccess BBS  *  609-584-8774
      ///          * USENET: UNDER CONSTRUCTION *
\\\  ///    "I was told once that people don't like to think. So I
 \\\///            tried to sell one a Mac. It worked."
--\XX/---------------------------------------------------------------

cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) (05/06/91)

In article <0kqF24w163w@dworkin.Amber.COM> jtravis@dworkin.Amber.COM (Jim, Sysop) writes:
>daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>
>> No.  "AT Slot" == "ISA Slot", at least in 90's-speak.  "ISA" means "Industry
>> Standard Architecture", since apparently "the industry" has taken over this
>> bus since abandoned by IBM (can't say as I blame them, even if they did
>> invent it).  Enhanced ISA, EISA, is an attempt to build a bus that's upward
>> compatible with ISA and somewhat modern (multi-mastered, shared-interrupts,
>> intelligent configuration, the normal Amiga-bus stuff).
>>
>        Hey Dave - why can't CBM sue other people for stealing the look and
>feel of the Amiga software and hardware?  Seems a little crummy that we can
>be preyed upon, you know?  Who knows...properly followed up on, CBM could be

All EISA cards have dedicated cpu's on them, like the ULowell(?) Board
for amiga. There aren't too many others for the amiga. The range for the
PS/2 is rapidly growing with dedicated processores on almost every card
in the computer from Joystick Cards( :-) ) to Ethernet Cards.

IBM didn't steal this, they invented it.

>> --
>> Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>>    {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>>       "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.
>

>--------///-----------------------------------------------------------
>       ///   Jim Trascapoulos  *  CSAccess BBS  *  609-584-8774
>      ///          * USENET: UNDER CONSTRUCTION *
>\\\  ///    "I was told once that people don't like to think. So I
> \\\///            tried to sell one a Mac. It worked."
>--\XX/---------------------------------------------------------------

matt.

In article <0kqF24w163w@dworkin.Amber.COM> jtravis@dworkin.Amber.COM (Jim, Sysop) writes:
>daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>> [..]  Enhanced ISA, EISA, is an attempt to build a bus that's upward
>> compatible with ISA and somewhat modern (multi-mastered, shared-interrupts,
>> intelligent configuration, the normal Amiga-bus stuff).

>        Hey Dave - why can't CBM sue other people for stealing the look and
>feel of the Amiga software and hardware?

Well, personally, I think it's absurd that anyone can get away with
successfully suing over the look and feel of anything.  I think the forces of
darkness in this industry may need to resort to legal mumbo-jumbo to make up
for lack of real innovation, but I hope we never have to sink that low.

As for actual hardware, the various Amiga bus concepts were hardly an Amiga
first, they just look good when compared to what else was popular in the
personal computer business during the 80's.  A number of these things were
done in industrial buses and 70's things like S-100 bus.  I'm just amazed that
ISA bus came out as it did, it's almost as if the designers built the thing
in a vacuum.

>Who knows...properly followed up on, CBM could be on to some big $$$ if they
>could ever prove technical/intellectual theft was at work here.

The only real protection for intellectual property is the patent system.  And
if you take a look at how messed up that system is today, you don't get a good
feeling about it.  Being granted a patent is supposed to mean that you have
an actual invention, and that you are the first to actually implement this
invention.  An invention is NOT just an idea, but a complete implementation of
a concept that make take into account a number of discrete ideas, none of which
can morally be patented.  In reality, the patent office knows very little about
what it is granting patents on these days, and basically only looks to previous
patents as its measure for what has been done previously.

>I guess after having gone from an A1000 to a 2000, then a 2500/30 and now a
>3000, I wish CBM could keep a bit more of the edge it has seemingly pioneered.

Again, I personally don't think it's proper to keep your edge by holding others
back.  I think you can best keep ahead by moving ahead while the others are
trying to catch up to where you were.  That's not always easy, but it's
infinitely more satisfying, unless perhaps you're a lawyer.  Unfortunately,
lots of people see holding back the competition via law suits as a better way
to hold their position.

>       ///   Jim Trascapoulos  *  CSAccess BBS  *  609-584-8774
      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May6.114751.5024@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) writes:
[...]
>All EISA cards have dedicated cpu's on them, like the ULowell(?) Board
>for amiga. There aren't too many others for the amiga. The range for the
>PS/2 is rapidly growing with dedicated processores on almost every card
>in the computer from Joystick Cards( :-) ) to Ethernet Cards.
>
>IBM didn't steal this, they invented it.

Eh?  EISA is the industry standard invented by a collaboration of equipment
manufacturers, which includes practically everyone *but* IBM.  PS/2's use the
competing standard developed by IBM, Microchannel.  Expansion bus cards with
dedicated CPU's aren't new, either.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

In article <1991May8.032757.12335@cs.cornell.edu> johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) writes:
>In article <1991May6.114751.5024@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) writes:

>>All EISA cards have dedicated cpu's on them,

Hardly.  Some do.

>>like the ULowell(?) Board for amiga.

The A2090a and A2232, also from Commodore, have dedicated CPUs on them.

>>There aren't too many others for the amiga. The range for the PS/2 is rapidly
>>growing ...

PS/2s use the MCA bus, not the EISA bus.

>>IBM didn't steal this, they invented it.

>Eh?  EISA is the industry standard invented by a collaboration of equipment
>manufacturers, which includes practically everyone *but* IBM.

Indeed.  And, interestingly enough, the Amiga's Zorro II bus predates both
EISA and MCA by many years.  But dedicated processors are even older than
that.  You find them occasionally on ISA (PC-AT/XT) cards.  Setting the Wayback
Machine back a notch or two, you find dedicated processors here and there on
VME, Multibus, STD bus, and even S-100 bus.  None of which have anything much
to do with IBM.

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (05/09/91)

As quoted from <1991May8.032757.12335@cs.cornell.edu> by johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee):
+---------------
| >PS/2 is rapidly growing with dedicated processores on almost every card
| >in the computer from Joystick Cards( :-) ) to Ethernet Cards.
| >
| >IBM didn't steal this, they invented it.
|
| Eh?  EISA is the industry standard invented by a collaboration of equipment
| manufacturers, which includes practically everyone *but* IBM.  PS/2's use the
| competing standard developed by IBM, Microchannel.  Expansion bus cards with
| dedicated CPU's aren't new, either.
+---------------

Hint:  Why did IBM call it *Micro*channel?  Dedicated CPUs for I/O devices are
NOT AT ALL new... and were invented by guess who, who's been calling them
"channels" since at least the sixties....

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA  10m,6m,2m,220,440,1.2
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		       (restricted HF at present)

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (05/10/91)

You know you're getting older when you remember stuff that many others
never heard of.....::sigh::

One of the CBM Pet machines had more than one CPU in it.  I think it was
the 2000 model but that one had a 6502 and a Z80 like the C128 so it may
not qualify.  Is it the earliest CBM machine to have multi-processors in
it?

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

Those in their teens and early twenties aren't required to know what a
PET computer is.  :-)

brindley@ECE.ORST.EDU (Mike Brindley) (05/11/91)

In article <42181@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>You know you're getting older when you remember stuff that many others
>never heard of.....::sigh::
>
>One of the CBM Pet machines had more than one CPU in it.  I think it was
>the 2000 model but that one had a 6502 and a Z80 like the C128 so it may
>not qualify.  Is it the earliest CBM machine to have multi-processors in
>it?
>
>Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com
>
>Those in their teens and early twenties aren't required to know what a
>PET computer is.  :-)

   In a summer job a couple of years ago, I had to modify some
programs on a machine labelled "SuperPET".  It had a switch on
the side which allowed you to switch between a 6502 running
BASIC and a 6809 running a varity of things which had to be
loaded off of disk.  The floppy disk stored 512K on a 5.25
inch floppy drive using double density disks!

--> Mike Brindley
"If your looking for adventure, Philomath is were to go." - REM

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May8.224541.17086@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) writes:
>As quoted from <1991May8.032757.12335@cs.cornell.edu> by johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee):
>+---------------
>| >PS/2 is rapidly growing with dedicated processores on almost every card
>| >in the computer from Joystick Cards( :-) ) to Ethernet Cards.
>| >
>| >IBM didn't steal this, they invented it.
>|
>| Eh?  EISA is the industry standard invented by a collaboration of equipment
>| manufacturers, which includes practically everyone *but* IBM.  PS/2's use the
>| competing standard developed by IBM, Microchannel.  Expansion bus cards with
>| dedicated CPU's aren't new, either.
>+---------------
>
>Hint:  Why did IBM call it *Micro*channel?  Dedicated CPUs for I/O devices are
>NOT AT ALL new... and were invented by guess who, who's been calling them
>"channels" since at least the sixties....

You probably weren't directing that hint at me, since I didn't imply that
Microchannel was the first with dedicated expansion bus CPU's, (I was
thinking of Q-Bus, VME bus, etc.) but...

I didn't realize why IBM name the bus as it did until you mentioned it.
Makes perfect sense now, but now it also sounds a bit pretentions.  But then
it came from IBM.  I would really like to see a PS/2 running CMS (or would
that be MicroCMS?)

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions are those of the user, and not of this machine.

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May10.213512.16629@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> brindley@ECE.ORST.EDU (Mike Brindley) writes:
>In article <42181@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>>
>>One of the CBM Pet machines had more than one CPU in it.  I think it was
>>the 2000 model but that one had a 6502 and a Z80 like the C128 so it may
>>not qualify.  Is it the earliest CBM machine to have multi-processors in
>>it?

Actually, I think the 4040 disk drive was the earliest CBM machine to
have multi-processors in it. Two 6502's - one for each drive.

>   In a summer job a couple of years ago, I had to modify some
>programs on a machine labelled "SuperPET".  It had a switch on
>the side which allowed you to switch between a 6502 running
>BASIC and a 6809 running a varity of things which had to be

The 6809 mode stuff was from Waterloo if I remember correctly.  The
SuperPET was the hottest micro of it's day. I wrote lots of software
for the 8032's & SuperPETs, but didn't get a chance to work much with
the 6809 mode and don't really remember anything about it.

>loaded off of disk.  The floppy disk stored 512K on a 5.25
>inch floppy drive using double density disks!

Also, the 8052 (8250? whatever) was a dual drive which stored 1Meg on a
single double-sided, double-density floppy. 2 Meg. total.
Unfortunately, it was a flat file system, so this cut down a bit on
it's usability.

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

jh203s806@sycom.UUCP (Jim Harvey) (05/12/91)

I think the dual processor PET was the SuperPET.  It had a 6502 and I believe
a 6809, not a Z80.  It was a hack on an 8032 machine that was done at a
canadian university (McGill?) and was adopted by Commodore.  There were a few
8032's and SuperPETs that had a 64K memory expansion card making an 8096.  As
far as I know there was never any (official) software written for the expanded
RAM.
--
Jim Harvey - 18538 Inkster - Redford, Mich.  48240
jh203s806@sycom.UUCP     or try   uunet!umich!vela!sycom!jh203s806

In article <42181@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>You know you're getting older when you remember stuff that many others
>never heard of.....::sigh::
>
>One of the CBM Pet machines had more than one CPU in it.  I think it was
>the 2000 model but that one had a 6502 and a Z80 like the C128 so it may
>not qualify.  Is it the earliest CBM machine to have multi-processors in
>it?

Huh? A Z80? I only know of the MMF 9000 (MicroMainFrame, perhaps identical
with that "SuperPET"), which had a 6502 plus a 6809.

If you only want multi-processing, why not consider the old PET plus its
floppy stations which had *two* 6502's (ok, one was 6504 really) built in?
Today a floppy counts as integral part of the computer, so in total we had
three CPUs there.

Oh sorry, now I remember more (seems like really getting old):
There was also the CBM 600/700 which had indeed a coprocessor slot.
It was intended for a Z80 (CP/M) *OR* an 8088 (MS-DOS). There existed
prototypes of both, and a small series of the 8088 version was even
sold in Austria to authorities, but it never made it to the normal public.
It was really a rather wierd concept to run MS-DOS from an 8050 floppy.
Those who know this disk format know that there was *NO* easy way to get
an MS-DOS application onto this.

In article <2834@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:

>Actually, I think the 4040 disk drive was the earliest CBM machine to
>have multi-processors in it. Two 6502's - one for each drive.

No, not for each drive. One was the bus controller to connect the floppy
via IEC bus to the computer and interpret the commands. The other was
the real floppy controller doing the hard stuff on the drive hardware.
And even older than the 4040 was the 3040 and the 2040 with the same
setup. (Though I fear the 2040 was never released to public. This was
before I joined Commodore, but a floppy I bought used had the 2040
label on it.)

>The 6809 mode stuff was from Waterloo if I remember correctly.  The
>SuperPET was the hottest micro of it's day. I wrote lots of software
>for the 8032's & SuperPETs, but didn't get a chance to work much with
>the 6809 mode and don't really remember anything about it.

Hmm, perhaps you were lucky. The Waterloo software was ssslllloooowww.
All the languages compiled into P code and were beaten by the normal
Basic interpreter in speed... I heard enough nice things about the
6809 to decide that this speed lack was not the processor's fault.

>>loaded off of disk.  The floppy disk stored 512K on a 5.25
>>inch floppy drive using double density disks!

(was obviously an 8050)

>Also, the 8052 (8250? whatever) was a dual drive which stored 1Meg on a
>single double-sided, double-density floppy. 2 Meg. total.
>Unfortunately, it was a flat file system, so this cut down a bit on
>it's usability.

Yes, I still love that 8250. It appeared also more reliable than today's
HD drives. My 8250 here still is going strong. It sits within a CBM 8296-D
directly besides my A3000. I find this sort of adequate :-).

In article <jh203s806.1901@sycom.UUCP> jh203s806@sycom.UUCP (Jim Harvey) writes:
>I think the dual processor PET was the SuperPET.  It had a 6502 and I believe
>a 6809, not a Z80.  It was a hack on an 8032 machine that was done at a
>canadian university (McGill?) and was adopted by Commodore.  There were a few
>8032's and SuperPETs that had a 64K memory expansion card making an 8096.  As
>far as I know there was never any (official) software written for the expanded
>RAM.

Oh boy, is this really so long ago that people tend to mix up everything?
(Sorry, no flame intended.) These were two different things:
A) The SuperPET, or MMF 9000, had a 6809 coprocessor board, where this
   board carried its own 64 KB RAM. (See other postings about the
   Waterloo software.)
B) The 8096 had only the 6502, and the new 64 KB were accessed via
   bankswitching. And there was software: It came shipped with a BASIC
   interpreter from Germany named LOS-96. And, not to forget: There was
   a wonderfull version of SuperOffice (Superbase + Supertext) by
   Precision Software, yes, the direct predecessor of Superbase for
   Amiga and now PCs. The last model of this computer series was the
   CBM 8296 with 128 KB RAM, where you could copy the ROMs into one of
   32 KB banks and modify them just like in the C64. And then there was
   the same machine with a 8250 floppy built-in, called CBM 8296-D. Ah,
   and not to forget: The 8296 was developed here in Germany, in our
   Braunschweig engineering department.

andyg@crash.cts.com (Andy Guevara) (05/14/91)

This is really embarrasing. I asked the original question about the AT bus,
wondering if it was EISA, over a week ago. And now I see that I missed the
answer :(.

Rather than take up any more bandwidth, could someone EMAIL me a short note
about EISA compatibility and the Amiga? I promise to be more attentive next
time.

Thanks in advance.