[net.space] ASAT test

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (09/21/85)

I read on the AP wire yesterday that the SOLWIND (P78-1) satellite, target of
last week's ASAT test, was transmitting useful scientific information right
up to the time of impact.

Pretty symbolic of the military's rape of the basic sciences, if you ask me.

Phil

ashby@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (09/25/85)

Perhaps this info was being gathered and relayed by another,
more useful satellite.  Why not get all the facts first.
Moreover, rather than make snide remarks about the military
I think they deserve a round of applause for a successful
test.  Not only is the ASAT program progressing nicely, but
compared to the Soviet version, ours is a bargain.

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (09/29/85)

For those of you who would like to know why I am so outraged by Reagan's
recent decision to test the ASAT, the arguments against ASAT testing are
well expressed in the Scientific American article "Antisatellite Weapons",
on pages 45-55 of the June 1984 issue.  I cannot do the article justice by
summarizing it here, so I strongly recommend that everyone interested in
this topic read the article before continuing this discussion.

Phil

al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) (10/01/85)

> I read on the AP wire yesterday that the SOLWIND (P78-1) satellite, target of
> last week's ASAT test, was transmitting useful scientific information right
> up to the time of impact.

Not only that, accoring to Aviation Leak and Space Technology, some of
the mission scientists were pretty upset about destroying the satellite.
Furthermore, the same issue said that DOD plans to scrap the ASAT program
after a few tests to save money.

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (10/01/85)

I am completely for the ASAT tests.  Anything that can shoot down nuclear
missiles before they can kill millions of people is OK by me.  Even if they
only stop 10%, that's more people that will live.

I am surprised that so many people see the ASAT program as evil.  We are
talking about a defensive weapon here.  Why don't you anti-ASAT people
go campaign against machine guns.  They have killed more people than an
ASAT ever will.

Sean
--

-  Sean Casey                           UUCP:   sean@ukma.UUCP   or
-  Department of Mathematics                    {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean

fisher@dvinci.DEC (Burns Fisher, MRO3-1/E13, DTN 231-4108.) (10/02/85)

>(Approximate)
>The Soviets DO have an ASAT...
>Why not complain about THEIR space junk

Since when do two wrongs make a right?  Since we depend far more heavily on
military satellites than they do, how will our having an ASAT offset the fact
that they have one?

Burns

	UUCP:	... {decvax|allegra|ucbvax}!decwrl!rhea!dvinci!fisher

	ARPA:	fisher%dvinci.dec@decwrl.ARPA

julian@osu-eddie.UUCP (Julian Gomez) (10/02/85)

> I am completely for the ASAT tests.  Anything that can shoot down nuclear
> missiles before they can kill millions of people is OK by me.  Even if they
> only stop 10%, that's more people that will live.
>
> I am surprised that so many people see the ASAT program as evil.  We are
> talking about a defensive weapon here.  Why don't you anti-ASAT people
> go campaign against machine guns.  They have killed more people than an
> ASAT ever will.
>
> Sean

So, supposing that the USA and USSR have 46 times overkill, then the
ASAT will cut that down to 41.4. All right! I'll only be 90% as dead!

ASAT's don't kill people, they just provide a false sense of security.
People kill people.
--
"If Chaos himself sat umpire, what better could he do?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	Computer Graphics Research Group, The Ohio State University
	{ucbvax,decvax}!cbosg!osu-eddie!julian

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (10/02/85)

> I am completely for the ASAT tests.  Anything that can shoot down nuclear
> missiles before they can kill millions of people is OK by me.  Even if they
> only stop 10%, that's more people that will live.

You are making a common mistake, that of confusing anti-satellite weapons
("ASATs") with the Strategic Defense Initiative ("SDI" or "Star Wars"), a
so-called "research program" to develop ways to shoot down nuclear missiles.
While some elements of the technology are the same, the first task is far
easier than the second.

> I am surprised that so many people see the ASAT program as evil.  We are
> talking about a defensive weapon here.  Why don't you anti-ASAT people
> go campaign against machine guns.  They have killed more people than an
> ASAT ever will.

Until now, military satellites have been one of the VERY few technological
innovations that have contributed to (instead of undermining) stability.
They are the "eyes and ears" of each country's military staff. By providing
the means to see what the other side is up to, satellites decrease the
chances of being taken completely by surprise. By relaying communications to
their nuclear forces, they improve the credibility of the "deterrent".
Threatening these satellites can only aggravate an already dangerous
situation. How would you respond if an important "spy" satellite suddenly
stopped transmitting? Assume a technical failure? Assume the worst, namely
that an attack is imminent? Blinding somebody who has a shotgun aimed at you
is not a wise move, nor is stocking up on acid in preparation for such a
move.

The other reason why the ASAT test is such a bad decision is because neither
side currently has the ability to attack satellites much above a few
thousand kilometers. Our most important early-warning and communications
satellites are generally in geostationary orbits, and were safe as long as
the Soviet moratorium held. Now that Reagan has broken the moratorium, I
fully expect a free-for-all to ensue in which ASATs capable of destroying
satellites even in GEO to be developed.  The result could be a disaster.

Again, I'd like to strongly recommend the article on Antisatellite Weapons
in the June 1984 issue of Scientific American. These points and many others
are discussed in excellent detail.

Phil

brent@poseidon.UUCP (Brent P. Callaghan) (10/03/85)

>I am completely for the ASAT tests.  Anything that can shoot down nuclear
>missiles before they can kill millions of people is OK by me.  Even if they
>only stop 10%, that's more people that will live.
>
>I am surprised that so many people see the ASAT program as evil.  We are
>talking about a defensive weapon here.  Why don't you anti-ASAT people
>go campaign against machine guns.  They have killed more people than an
>ASAT ever will.

Wrong!  The current ASAT weapons are designed to knock down
spy satellites in long-term, well defined orbits.  They are
totally ineffective against sub-orbital nuclear warheads
and have no ability to recognise decoys.
Spy satellites are a vital tool in nuclear limitation treaty
verification.  They have done more to reduce cold war tensions
than any amount of politicking.  Shame on those who threaten
the continued existence of the humble spy satellite.

A 50% reduction in nuclear arsenals is a far more attractive
alternative to wasting a trillion dollars on Star Wars.
What's more, it is verifyable.  How will we ever be sure of
the "knock down" ratio of the completed SDI ?  Can we honestly
believe that it will be 90% and can the U.S. maintain the system
at that level for any length of time?
--

Made in New Zealand -->		Brent Callaghan
				AT&T Information Systems, Lincroft, NJ

john@gcc-bill.ARPA (John Allred) (10/04/85)

In article <2258@ukma.UUCP> sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:

>I am completely for the ASAT tests.  Anything that can shoot down nuclear
>missiles before they can kill millions of people is OK by me.  Even if they
>only stop 10%, that's more people that will live.
>
>I am surprised that so many people see the ASAT program as evil.  We are
>talking about a defensive weapon here.  Why don't you anti-ASAT people
>go campaign against machine guns.  They have killed more people than an
>ASAT ever will.
>
>-  Sean Casey                           UUCP:   sean@ukma.UUCP   or
>-  Department of Mathematics                    {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
>-  University of Kentucky               ARPA:   ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA

Sorry, Sean, but you're confusing ASAT with SDI.  ASAT only kills satellites,
and not ballistic missiles.

As for your comment about stopping 10% of the warheads:  well, if those war-
heads were going toward our Minuteman silos, yes, SDI enhances the silo's
survivability.  On the other hand, if those warheads are going toward a city,
it is not clear if significantly more people will survive.  In general, one
warhead leaking through SDI to hit a city is unacceptable, in my judgement.

--
John Allred
General Computer Company

josh@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (J Storrs Hall) (10/05/85)

I decry the politicization of this list.

--JoSH

dave@circadia.UUCP (David Messer) (10/05/85)

> I am completely for the ASAT tests.  Anything that can shoot down nuclear
> missiles before they can kill millions of people is OK by me.  ...
> --
>
> -  Sean Casey                           UUCP:   sean@ukma.UUCP   or
> -  Department of Mathematics                    {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
> -  University of Kentucky               ARPA:   ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA

Huh?  What does the ASAT have to do with nuclear missiles?  Doesn't
'ASAT' stand for "Anti-SATilite"?  Currently, there are no ORBITAL
nuclear missles (that we are being told about).
--

Dave Messer   ...ihnp4!stolaf!umn-cs!circadia!dave

dave@circadia.UUCP (David Messer) (10/05/85)

> A 50% reduction in nuclear arsenals is a far more attractive
> alternative to wasting a trillion dollars on Star Wars.
> What's more, it is verifyable.  How will we ever be sure of
> the "knock down" ratio of the completed SDI ?  Can we honestly
> believe that it will be 90% and can the U.S. maintain the system
> at that level for any length of time?
> --
>
> Made in New Zealand -->		Brent Callaghan
> 				AT&T Information Systems, Lincroft, NJ
> 				{ihnp4|mtuxo|pegasus}!poseidon!brent
> 				(201) 576-3475

Hmmm.  Lets see, currently the USSR has an "overkill" ratio on the
order of 10 to one, so if we got a 50% reduction, they can only
wipe us out 5 times.  On the other hand, they can never know how
effective SDI is unless they launch an attack; that might be a
mistake if SDI turns out to be 99.99% effective.  I don't think
I would risk it if I were them.  So, suppose the US wants to
preemptively attack the USSR and SDI turns out to be only 70%
effective; both sides get it.  You know, if we can't tell how good
SDI really is, either side would be pretty foolish to test it.
It seems to me that a trillion dollars (wildly pessimistic) would
not be too high a price for makeing ICBMs unusable for a first strike.
--

Dave Messer   ...ihnp4!stolaf!umn-cs!circadia!dave

john@gcc-bill.ARPA (John Allred) (10/05/85)

In article <1296@poseidon.UUCP> brent@poseidon.UUCP (Brent P. Callaghan) writes:

>A 50% reduction in nuclear arsenals is a far more attractive
>alternative to wasting a trillion dollars on Star Wars.
>What's more, it is verifyable.  How will we ever be sure of

>Made in New Zealand -->		Brent Callaghan
>				AT&T Information Systems, Lincroft, NJ
>				{ihnp4|mtuxo|pegasus}!poseidon!brent
>				(201) 576-3475

I don't think it is verifiable.  I can name two things that defy counting: our
cruise missiles, and their reloadable silos (while you can count the holes, you
*don't* know how many missiles are associated with each one.)

--

In article <649@decwrl.UUCP> fisher@dvinci.DEC (Burns Fisher, MRO3-1/E13, DTN 231-4108.) writes:

>Since when do two wrongs make a right?  Since we depend far more heavily on
>military satellites than they do, how will our having an ASAT offset the fact
>that they have one?
>
>Burns

Is it acceptable for the Soviets to have the capability to kill our birds,
while we do not?  I don't think so.

The so-called "ban on space weapon testing" the Soviets put in place is a
crock:  they've had years to test their own weapon.  If they could stifle
development of our ASAT, they win big.

--

jbuck@epicen.UUCP (Joe Buck) (10/06/85)

In article <2258@ukma.UUCP> sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:

>I am completely for the ASAT tests.  Anything that can shoot down nuclear
>missiles before they can kill millions of people is OK by me.  Even if they
>only stop 10%, that's more people that will live.

Sean, you're confusing ASAT with SDI. They have very little to do with each
other. ASAT is a method of killing satellites; the weapons the Soviets and
the Americans have tested are useless against missiles. Trying to perfect
the ability to destroy enemy satellites is very bad (both when we do it and
when the Russians do it), because:

1) if several important spy satellites malfunction at about the same time,
   we (or the Russians) might assume that the other side has destroyed them
   in preparation for a nuclear attack (why else would you destroy enemy
   reconnaissance satellites?), and shoot "first";

2) testing ASAT creates large amounts of hazardous debris; a few more tests
   may make low earth orbit unusable for satellites and unsafe for manned
   missions (in practice, the orbits of the debris may decay rapidly, getting
   rid of most of the junk, but what about when we, or they, start going
   after satellites in higher orbits (like geosynchronous)?

I don't think SDI will work either, but that's a completely different debate.
One can think of ASAT as a means of destroying the enemy's defenses in space;
ASAT itself is NOT defensive at all.

It is in the strong interest of both sides to immediately agree to stop all
ASAT testing. Such a treaty is easily verifiable. If we don't do it, and
both sides accelerate testing, space will not be safe for large structures
or for manned missions.

My opinions only,
--
Joe Buck				|  Entropic Processing, Inc.
UUCP: {ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!epicen!jbuck  |  10011 N. Foothill Blvd.

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (10/07/85)

> I decry the politicization of this list.
>
> --JoSH

I decry the weaponization of space.

Since the superpowers have seen fit to escalate the arms race to space,
I don't see how a space discussion group can avoid talking about space
weapons and their implications.

Phil

Carter@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (_Bob) (10/10/85)

    From: bellcore!petrus!karn at ucb-vax.Berkeley.EDU (Phil R. Karn)

    I decry the weaponization of space.
    Since the superpowers have seen fit to escalate the arms race to space,
    I don't see how a space discussion group can avoid talking about space
    weapons and their implications.

There is a real difference between a general-information list and a
political one (on which people tend either to preach to the converted
or to exchange invective with their enemies).  I think it's legitimate
to keep them separate.

Flamery in pursuit of the Star-Wars and ASAT issues seems to have
killed ARMS-D, and it would be shame to see that happen to SPACE
as well.  I'm with JoSH.

_B

ix241@sdcc6.UUCP (ix241) (10/11/85)

I would have to say that most of the 'debris' has fallen into net.space.

John Testa
UCSD Chemistry
sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix241