[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2232 multi-serial board and UNIX

zik@dec19.cs.monash.edu.au (Michael Saleeba) (04/30/91)

I'm setting up a public-access UNIX system and am considering buying an
Amiga 3000 to use as the grunt. I want to connect around sixteen modems
to this machine, but I don't want to cripple it with interrupt activity.
My question is just how much work do the on-board processors on the
A2232 do? If I have sixteen users running over modem and others on the
ethernet, how much of my machine's time will be spent handling I/O,
rather than on more compute-intensive tasks like the MUD I'll also have
going. Also, is the reported hardware-break problem on the A2232 a
hardware or software problem? Any ideas?

 ______      _
|___  /  _  | | __	"I don't want the world - I just want your half."
   / /  |_| | |/ /
  / /    _  |   / 		Name:		Michael Saleeba
 / /__  | | |   \ 		At:		Monash University
/_____| |_| |_|\_\		E-mail:		zik@bruce.oz.au

owen@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (Dave Owen) (05/08/91)

In article <zik.672986142@dec19> zik@dec19.cs.monash.edu.au (Michael Saleeba) writes:
>I'm setting up a public-access UNIX system and am considering buying an
>Amiga 3000 to use as the grunt. I want to connect around sixteen modems
>to this machine, but I don't want to cripple it with interrupt activity.
>My question is just how much work do the on-board processors on the
>A2232 do? If I have sixteen users running over modem and others on the
>ethernet, how much of my machine's time will be spent handling I/O,
>rather than on more compute-intensive tasks like the MUD I'll also have
>going. Also, is the reported hardware-break problem on the A2232 a
>hardware or software problem? Any ideas?
>
> ______      _
>|___  /  _  | | __	"I don't want the world - I just want your half."
>   / /  |_| | |/ /
>  / /    _  |   / 		Name:		Michael Saleeba
> / /__  | | |   \ 		At:		Monash University
>/_____| |_| |_|\_\		E-mail:		zik@bruce.oz.au

The UNIX implementation allows ONLY two users and (currently) defines
ONLY eight serial ports!

ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) (05/15/91)

zik@dec19.cs.monash.edu.au (Michael Saleeba) writes:
> I'm setting up a public-access UNIX system and am considering buying an
> Amiga 3000 to use as the grunt. I want to connect around sixteen modems
> to this machine, but I don't want to cripple it with interrupt activity.
> My question is just how much work do the on-board processors on the
> A2232 do?

The processor on the A2232 handles all RS232 character interrupts,
hardware handshaking, and flow control, and maintains input and output
queues in shared memory for each port.  The host side just copies
characters (usually many at a time) between the shared memory and host
memory (streams messages in the case of Unix).

> Also, is the reported hardware-break problem on the A2232 a
> hardware or software problem? Any ideas?

I have never heard of a problem with sending or detecting a break
under Unix.  I do both all the time.

owen@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (Dave Owen) writes:
> The UNIX implementation allows ONLY two users and (currently) defines
> ONLY eight serial ports!

A few slight corrections:  The Unix *license* allows only two users,
AT&T also offers an unlimited-user license which we will allow as an
option in the near future.

The A2232 driver supports 3 cards of 7 ports each.  The first 7
device nodes are already created on the standard release; others can
be created by the system administrator.

					-=] Ford [=-

"A just machine to make big decisions	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
programmed by fellows with compassion	ford@amix.commodore.com
and vision." - Donald Fagen, "IGY"	uunet!cbmvax!ditto
					ford@kenobi.commodore.com