[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2000 -> A500+A590 connection possible?

peraue@cs.vu.nl (Raue Paul Erik) (05/13/91)

Would it be possible to attach an amiga 500 plus A590 harddrive to an amiga
2000 via either the serial or parallel port and access the harddisk A590 from
my 2000. And is it possible to address the memory of the 500 via the 2000?

I was wondering about this because buying a harddisk for my 2000 in Holland is
so damn expensive because there are not enough 2000's here, so I would be
spending about 1300 dollars for the harddisk+controller while a 500 and harddisk
would only cost me about 1000 dollars and leave me with two computers and a
half megabyte of extra memory.

Any pointers as to if this would be possible are appreciated....

Thank you for your time, bandwidth and more.... Paul-Erik Raue (peraue@cs.vu.nl)

     _______       _______    _______
    / ___  /\     / _____/\  / ___  /\  The quantity of time consumed by
   / /\_/ /_/___ / /\____\/ / /\_/ / /  repairing bugs has an inversed
  / _____//____// ____/\   / __  _/ /   relationship to the difficulty of
 / /\____\\____/ /\___\/_ / /\_\ \\/    the bug. The smaller the bug, the
/_/ /         /______//_//_/ /  \_\     longer it will take to repair it.
\_\/          \______\\_\\_\/    \_\

ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) (05/15/91)

In article <9923@star.cs.vu.nl>, peraue@cs.vu.nl (Raue Paul Erik) writes:
> Would it be possible to attach an amiga 500 plus A590 harddrive to an amiga
> 2000 via either the serial or parallel port and access the harddisk A590 from
> my 2000. And is it possible to address the memory of the 500 via the 2000?

Check out PARnet from Matt Dillon.  It will do what you want, but you will not
get performance like the drive was local.  I believe that tests around 20K
bytes per second were achieved (it's been a few years since I've seen two
Amigas connected this way).  Directories are a lot faster compared to floppy
directory searches, but data transfer is slow.

> Thank you for your time, bandwidth and more.... Paul-Erik Raue (peraue@cs.vu.nl)

BTW, please reduce the length of your signature.  10 lines is a little much...

        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430
B.C. Systems Corp., 4000 Seymour Place, Victoria, B.C., Canada, V8X 4S8

kilian@cinnet.com (Kilian Jacob) (05/16/91)

From article <9923@star.cs.vu.nl>, by peraue@cs.vu.nl (Raue Paul Erik):
> Would it be possible to attach an amiga 500 plus A590 harddrive to an amiga
> 2000 via either the serial or parallel port and access the harddisk A590 from

Use DNet + PARnet. Parnet allows you to access all devices (floppies, RAM disk,
and hard drive) of computer A (in your case the A500) on computer b
(your A2000). PARnet uses the parallel port (transfer rate about 20 KB/s).

DNet allows both computers to access each others devices at the same time.
It also supports remote CLIs on either computer (again, simulatanously).
Since it uses the serial port, it is significantly slower than PARNet.

BTW: You can run both programs at the same time.

> my 2000. And is it possible to address the memory of the 500 via the 2000?

No. But as I mentioned before. The A2000 could use the A500's RAM disk.

> I was wondering about this because buying a harddisk for my 2000 in Holland is
> so damn expensive because there are not enough 2000's here, so I would be
> spending about 1300 dollars for the harddisk+controller while a 500 and harddisk
> would only cost me about 1000 dollars and leave me with two computers and a
> half megabyte of extra memory.

Do you live close to the German border? If so, check out the prices there.
You should be able to buy an internal A2000 20MB hard drive for about
1000 DM (ca. US $590). (A500 in general are about 200 DM more expensive than
an equivalent A2000 internal version.)

> Any pointers as to if this would be possible are appreciated....
>
> Thank you for your time, bandwidth and more.... Paul-Erik Raue (peraue@cs.vu.nl)

'Hope that helps.

-- /<ilian

--
Kilian Jacob - Cincinnati, Ohio - VOICE: (513)-489-1891
UUCP: kilian@cinnet.com or {uceng.uc.edu, ukma!spca6, uunet!sdrc}!cinnet!kilian