[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] New hardware idea

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/13/91)

  Well, I meant to mention this a while ago, but never got around to it.
I am sure that it has been thought of before, but why is it that the A500
needs a different drive than the A2000?

  Let me guess...it is because the cases are different. What, then, is the
solution? Slide the A500 floppy to the right about a half inch to fit an
A2000 internal drive.

  Also, it shouldn't cost too much to make the keyboard detached on the A500.
The only necessary modification would be to redesign the upper part of the
A500 case and make it square, plus add some support. Keyboard cases are
already available; just add holes for the LEDs.

  By the way, I think I am going to get an A3000 and keep my A500 too. I
just can't think of a reason to give it up...we've been through so much
together. (But is anyone wants to buy it, hey, it's up for sale!)

--
           David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
   "If you think that we're here for the money, we could live without it.

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (05/15/91)

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>  Also, it shouldn't cost too much to make the keyboard detached on the A500.
>The only necessary modification would be to redesign the upper part of the
>A500 case and make it square, plus add some support. Keyboard cases are
>already available; just add holes for the LEDs.

Actually there is a bit more, the 500's keyboard circuitry is physically
different.  the 2000 needs to be able to re-synch it's keyboard controller if
the keyboard is disconnected and re-connected while it's on.  the 500 has no
need for this circuitry so it doesn't have it.  so what happens is that if the
keyboard is disconnected and re-connected the machine resets.

.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks | "I know he's come back |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil        | from the dead, but do  |
| INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org                  | you really think he's  |
|-------------------------------------------------| moved back in?"        |
| Amiga programmer at large, employment options   | Lou Diamond Philips in |
| welcome, inquire within.                        | "The First Power".     |

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (05/16/91)

In article <4912@orbit.cts.com> chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) writes:
>dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>>  Also, it shouldn't cost too much to make the keyboard detached on the A500.
>>The only necessary modification would be to redesign the upper part of the
>>A500 case and make it square, plus add some support. Keyboard cases are
>>already available; just add holes for the LEDs.
>
>Actually there is a bit more, the 500's keyboard circuitry is physically
>different.  the 2000 needs to be able to re-synch it's keyboard controller if
>the keyboard is disconnected and re-connected while it's on.  the 500 has no
>need for this circuitry so it doesn't have it.  so what happens is that if the
>keyboard is disconnected and re-connected the machine resets.

>| UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks | "I know he's come back |
>| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil        | from the dead, but do  |
>| INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org                  | you really think he's  |
>| Amiga programmer at large, employment options   | Lou Diamond Philips in |
>| welcome, inquire within.                        | "The First Power".     |

	Isn't it not a good idea to plug in the A2000 keyboard while
the power is on?