[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 and AT Bridgboard

moore@iastate.edu (Moore Brian Joseph) (05/11/91)

Can anyone clear this up for me?

If I want to put an AT BridgeBoard in a 3000 how many slots do I get.  As I
understand it...

 - There are 4 slots in a 3000 2 Amiga and 2 AT slots, 2 are shared Amiga/AT
 - The AT BB takes up how many slots?
 - After the BB do I have any spare AT slots?

If I want to put a BB in a 3000 can I also put in a VGA card, or does the BB
take up 2 slots.  If it does, can't I still have a slot available since I can
use 3 of the 4 slots as IBM AT slots if I only want 1 Amiga slots?

I'm sure someone out there is doing this and I'd love to hear from anyone who
will obviously know more than I do...

  /                                  /                                    /
 /  Brian J. Moore                  /                  moore@iastate.edu /
/__________________________________/____________________________________/
  /                                  /                                    /

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (05/14/91)

In article <moore.673922859@pv031e.vincent.iastate.edu> moore@iastate.edu (Moore Brian Joseph) writes:
>Can anyone clear this up for me?
>
>If I want to put an AT BridgeBoard in a 3000 how many slots do I get.  As I
>understand it...
>
> - There are 4 slots in a 3000 2 Amiga and 2 AT slots, 2 are shared Amiga/AT
> - The AT BB takes up how many slots?
> - After the BB do I have any spare AT slots?
>
>If I want to put a BB in a 3000 can I also put in a VGA card, or does the BB
>take up 2 slots.  If it does, can't I still have a slot available since I can
>use 3 of the 4 slots as IBM AT slots if I only want 1 Amiga slots?

the AT bridgeboard plugs into one bridge slot.  however, it has a daughter
card on top that blocks the slot above it (on the 3000) or to the right of
it (2000, 3000T).  so, on the 3000, you have the choice of losing your
top slot (video/zorro) or your second slot (bridge) depending on whether
you plug the 2286 into the 2nd slot or 3rd slot.

>I'm sure someone out there is doing this and I'd love to hear from anyone who
>will obviously know more than I do...

> /  Brian J. Moore                  /                  moore@iastate.edu /

  --Scotty

Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE - yes.
"Have you hugged your hog today?"

birjt@cc.newcastle.edu.au (05/15/91)

In article <21523@cbmvax.commodore.com>, drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) writes:
> In article <moore.673922859@pv031e.vincent.iastate.edu> moore@iastate.edu (Moore Brian Joseph) writes:
>>Can anyone clear this up for me?
>>
>>If I want to put an AT BridgeBoard in a 3000 how many slots do I get.  As I
>
> the AT bridgeboard plugs into one bridge slot.  however, it has a daughter
> card on top that blocks the slot above it (on the 3000) or to the right of
> it (2000, 3000T).  so, on the 3000, you have the choice of losing your
> top slot (video/zorro) or your second slot (bridge) depending on whether
> you plug the 2286 into the 2nd slot or 3rd slot.
>
>>I'm sure someone out there is doing this and I'd love to hear from anyone who
>>will obviously know more than I do...
>
>> /  Brian J. Moore                  /                  moore@iastate.edu /
>
>   --Scotty
>
> --
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
> Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
> 		         PHONE - yes.
> "Have you hugged your hog today?"
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hello,
      I have just put a '286 bridgeboard in the A3000 here at work. Their
idea not mine! The set up included a hard disk controller as well which
had to go in the slot below the BB. This works fine except that the floppy
controller on the BB itself seems to be unavailable while the controller
card is in place. This was no real problem as the controller card had its
own floppy controller as well, which I used.

	Now my main problems are:
		1) I can't get windows to install, although I hear there is
	way to get aroung the keyboard.drv problem. This doesn't particularly
	bother me as it was not one of the software items I guaranteed would
	work.
		2) I can't get PCColor to work. If I follow the manual and
	type mode etc. the whole machine hangs. If I change the jumper on
	the BB (J14 from memory) then click on PCColor the machine crashes.
	From what I can gather around here this is not normal behaviour, so
	if there are no more hints from here I will return it to the dealer
	for possible repairs.

	The A3000 works flawlessly, same as mine at home.

                             Thanks, have fun,
                                  Russell

       BIRJT@cc.newcastle.edu.au

burkert1@platon.fmi.uni-passau.de (Klaus Burkert) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May15.093100.10112@cc.newcastle.edu.au> birjt@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:

>Hello,
>      I have just put a '286 bridgeboard in the A3000 here at work. Their
>idea not mine! The set up included a hard disk controller as well which
>had to go in the slot below the BB. This works fine except that the floppy
>controller on the BB itself seems to be unavailable while the controller

This is totally normal, since AT-HD-Controllers are usually Combicontrollers,
i.e. they combine a HD- and a FD-Controller on one board.
Because the PC does no AutoConfig (TM?) :-), each device must be jumpered
to it's own address:
 If you have two floppy-controllers, you _must_ switch one of them to FDC#2
or disable it.

>card is in place. This was no real problem as the controller card had its
>own floppy controller as well, which I used.

You've done it right!

>	Now my main problems are:
>		1) I can't get windows to install, although I hear there is
>	way to get aroung the keyboard.drv problem. This doesn't particularly
>	bother me as it was not one of the software items I guaranteed would
>	work.

Windows 2.11 /286 works just fine, but it is not too useful... :-(
Windows 3.0 has one problem: It's not the keyboard.drv (in my case),
it's the lack of a suitible mouse-driver, because the C-A-supplied AMOUSE.DRV
works only with Windows 2.11.
Since there is no amouse.drv for Win30 available yet, you have two choices:
 - use Windows without mouse (very bad )
 - use a MS-compatible serial PC-mouse with a serial Board.
   There are IDE-controllers with serial and parallel ports on board available.
   I don't know what type of HD you're using, but if it's not IDE you're lost
   until C-A releases a new amouse.drv.

>		2) I can't get PCColor to work. If I follow the manual and
>	type mode etc. the whole machine hangs. If I change the jumper on
>	the BB (J14 from memory) then click on PCColor the machine crashes.
>	From what I can gather around here this is not normal behaviour, so
>	if there are no more hints from here I will return it to the dealer
>	for possible repairs.

I think you used the "save settings"-option of the PCWindow-Menu at PCMono.
There should be a file named "SYS:PC/System/sidecarSettings" or similar.
Erase it, open PCMono and PCColor _SIMULTANIOUSLY_, choose your options,
and the SaveSettings. This should fix it.
The problem is that SaveSettings sets the depth of the other screen to zero,
when only one window is open and the file is newly created.
Try opening a screen with depth zero and see what happens ... bang!!!

>	The A3000 works flawlessly, same as mine at home.

My A2000B too.

>                             Thanks, have fun,
>                                  Russell
>
>       BIRJT@cc.newcastle.edu.au

Klaus Burkert        email: burkert1@platon.fmi.uni-passau.de
Brandweg 11          voice: +49-851/83993
D-W-8390 Passau   /  Federal Republic of Germany

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.093100.10112@cc.newcastle.edu.au> birjt@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:
>Hello,
>      I have just put a '286 bridgeboard in the A3000 here at work. Their
>idea not mine! The set up included a hard disk controller as well which
>had to go in the slot below the BB. This works fine except that the floppy
>controller on the BB itself seems to be unavailable while the controller
>card is in place. This was no real problem as the controller card had its
>own floppy controller as well, which I used.
>
>	Now my main problems are:
>		1) I can't get windows to install, although I hear there is
>	way to get aroung the keyboard.drv problem. This doesn't particularly
>	bother me as it was not one of the software items I guaranteed would
>	work.
>		2) I can't get PCColor to work. If I follow the manual and
>	type mode etc. the whole machine hangs. If I change the jumper on
>	the BB (J14 from memory) then click on PCColor the machine crashes.
>	From what I can gather around here this is not normal behaviour, so
>	if there are no more hints from here I will return it to the dealer
>	for possible repairs.

since you're running a 3000, if you're using ks/wb 2.0 with the bridgeboard
you must disable data caching of bridgeboard address space.  if you *have*
already done this, then yes - try another bridgeboard.  try it under 1.3
just for kicks, anyways.

to disable data caching on machines with data caches (030 and up) running
ks/wb 2.x:

1)	put the line
	CPU NODATACACHE
	in your startup-sequence file *before* the BINDDRIVERS command.
	this method may slow your system down slightly, but everyone's
	got the CPU command.

2)	put the line
	ENFORCER QUIET
	in your startup-sequence file *before* the BINDDRIVERS command.
	this method assumes you have a "modern" enforcer which knows about
	bridgeboards.  your system won't be slowed down at all using this
	method.

In article <21617@cbmvax.commodore.com> drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) writes:
>In article <1991May15.093100.10112@cc.newcastle.edu.au> birjt@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:
>>Hello,
>>      I have just put a '286 bridgeboard in the A3000 here at work. Their
>>idea not mine! The set up included a hard disk controller as well which
>>had to go in the slot below the BB. This works fine except that the floppy
>>controller on the BB itself seems to be unavailable while the controller
>>card is in place. This was no real problem as the controller card had its
>>own floppy controller as well, which I used.
>>
>>	Now my main problems are:
>>		1) I can't get windows to install, although I hear there is
>>	way to get aroung the keyboard.drv problem. This doesn't particularly
>>	bother me as it was not one of the software items I guaranteed would
>>	work.
>>		2) I can't get PCColor to work. If I follow the manual and
>>	type mode etc. the whole machine hangs. If I change the jumper on
>>	the BB (J14 from memory) then click on PCColor the machine crashes.
>>	From what I can gather around here this is not normal behaviour, so
>>	if there are no more hints from here I will return it to the dealer
>>	for possible repairs.
>
>since you're running a 3000, if you're using ks/wb 2.0 with the bridgeboard
>you must disable data caching of bridgeboard address space.  if you *have*
>already done this, then yes - try another bridgeboard.  try it under 1.3
>just for kicks, anyways.

oops - forgot one more thing.  try deleting the file
sys:pc/system/sidecarsettings.table (whew).
this file contains the pcwindow "save settings" data, and when the phase
of the moon is just right, pcwindow can save illegal window settings in
there.  it doesn't do sanity checks when it reads the file back in, and
things go poof.

birjt@cc.newcastle.edu.au (05/16/91)

In article <21617@cbmvax.commodore.com>, drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) writes:
> In article <1991May15.093100.10112@cc.newcastle.edu.au> birjt@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:
>>Hello,
>>      I have just put a '286 bridgeboard in the A3000 here at work. Their
>>idea not mine! The set up included a hard disk controller as well which

[some bits gone]

>>		2) I can't get PCColor to work. If I follow the manual and
>>	type mode etc. the whole machine hangs. If I change the jumper on
>>	the BB (J14 from memory) then click on PCColor the machine crashes.
>>	From what I can gather around here this is not normal behaviour, so
>>	if there are no more hints from here I will return it to the dealer
>>	for possible repairs.
>
> since you're running a 3000, if you're using ks/wb 2.0 with the bridgeboard
> you must disable data caching of bridgeboard address space.  if you *have*
> already done this, then yes - try another bridgeboard.  try it under 1.3
> just for kicks, anyways.
>
> to disable data caching on machines with data caches (030 and up) running
> ks/wb 2.x:
>
> 1)	put the line
> 	CPU NODATACACHE
> 	in your startup-sequence file *before* the BINDDRIVERS command.
> 	this method may slow your system down slightly, but everyone's
> 	got the CPU command.
>
> 2)	put the line
> 	ENFORCER QUIET
> 	in your startup-sequence file *before* the BINDDRIVERS command.
> 	this method assumes you have a "modern" enforcer which knows about
> 	bridgeboards.  your system won't be slowed down at all using this
> 	method.
>
>>	The A3000 works flawlessly, same as mine at home.
>>
>>                             Thanks, have fun,
>>                                  Russell
>>
>>       BIRJT@cc.newcastle.edu.au
>
>   --Scotty
> --
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
> Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
> 		         PHONE - yes.
> "Have you hugged your hog today?"
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hello again,
	I wrote the first bit.

	Scotty,
		Yep, the no datacache was set in the startup, so that
wasn't the trouble. But read on to see what happened next.

	Klaus,
		You win the prize ;^). The fix was to open both screens
at the same time as save the setup in both. From then on everything worked
as it was supposed to. I then set the jumper and AWAAYYY I WENT.
		I went back thro the manual but still couldn't find any
reference to this procedure. No matter.

	Thanks to all for their help,

					Russell

BIRJT@cc.newcastle.edu.au.oz