[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 68010 upgrade

robart@agora.rain.com (Robert Barton) (05/15/91)

jmt@legend.cma.fr (Jean-Marc Tanzi) writes:
> But, correct me if I'm wrong, some programs may hang. The way the 68000 and
> the 68010 differ is hard to notice, except for the "MOVE FROM SR" instruction,
> which is protected on the 68010.

  Yes, but this doesn't matter since Amiga programs which need to know the
condition codes use the GetCC() function rather than the MOVE SR instruction.

jmt@legend.cma.fr (Jean-Marc Tanzi) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.072712.22184@agora.rain.com>, robart@agora.rain.com (Robert Barton) writes:
> jmt@legend.cma.fr (Jean-Marc Tanzi) writes:
> > But, correct me if I'm wrong, some programs may hang. The way the 68000 and
> > the 68010 differ is hard to notice, except for the "MOVE FROM SR" instruction,
> > which is protected on the 68010.
>
>   Yes, but this doesn't matter since Amiga programs which need to know the
> condition codes use the GetCC() function rather than the MOVE SR instruction.

Well, Amiga programs SHOULD use the GetCC() function, as they also SHOULD be
compatible with 68020/68030 cards. I am still pretty sure a few will fail.
If I could switch back easily to a pure 68000 , that would be ok, but having
to change the chips is a bit too hasardous, IMHO, for a slight 10% gain.

Anyway, I should be glad to hear from those who tried.

Jean-Marc Tanzi  |  Millions of years to make oil and forests,
jmt@cma.cma.fr   |  a century to burn them. Mankind versus Nature: 100000 to 1.