[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] SUMMARY: A500 Hard Drive options

pk1s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul A. Karlin) (05/10/91)

Okay, after a few weeks of gathering info (and some delay due to final
exams), here's what I have gathered together:

IVS TRUMPCARD 500 & TRUMPCARD 500 PROFESSIONAL
* Big and ugly but inexpensive (under $150 for normal, under $200 for pro)
* Expansion RAM fits on special card (up to 4MB (?), costs extra $$$)
* When upgrading to a 2000/2500/3000, just pull the cards out of the
  TrumpCard case and plug them into the new machine's slot(s).
* There have been (unsubstantiated) claims that TrumpCard may be
  unreliable, but I haven't heard anything specific.

IVS GRAND SLAM
--------------
* I received very little info (new product)
* 8MB RAM expansion is possible

GVP SERIES II
-------------
* Probably the most expensive (typical mail order is $600 for controller
  plus 40MB Quantum HD)
* Fits the design of the A500 really well
* Comes with a power supply (one of the few where it's included)
* No bus pass-through (special GVP "mini-slot" instead), but allows for
  8MB RAM (SIMMs directly on controller)
* VERY fast!
* Everyone seems to say it's trouble-free
* Supposedly not available without drive

DATAFLYER 500
-------------
* Inexpensive (about $150 mail order)
* Includes power supply
* Designed to fit A500-case design (but I've never seen it)
* Expandable to 8MB RAM (with separate card, like with TrumpCard)
* Very little info available;  all of it is vague.

SUPRADRIVE 500XP
----------------
* Fast
* Well-designed (relative to A500's case)
* Typical package comes with 512K or 2MB RAM and 20/40/52MB HD (Quantum(?))
* RAM expansion is up to 8MB, but uses D-RAM (more expensive thanSIMMS)
* Power supply available spearately -- may be necessary even though
  Supra claims the controller is "very low-power"
* Not yet available without drive -- "coming soon"

ICD AdIDE
---------
* NOT SCSI!  (Very big important distinction here)
* VERY inexpensive ($115-$130)
* Plugs into 68000 chip
* Difficult to install (at least compared with SCSI drives)
* A2000 version is usually 40 pin, A500 is 44 pin (slightly more expensive)
* It is possible to find a drive small enough so that the entire thing
  can fit into an A500 without removing the internal floppy drive
* No RAM expansion provided
* IDE can control 2 drives (SCSI can handle 7 or 8)
* David Tiberio <dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu> posted an overview
  of installing one in the A500.  I saved the article, so I can
  resend/repost it on request.

M.A.S.T. STARBLAZER 500
-----------------------
* Very inexpensive SCSI ($129)
* Supposedly expandable to 8MB (increments of 2MB, $200 each)
* Supposedly possible to add an inexpensive accelerator card, which
  will access RAM and drive at (truly) double standard speed.
* NOT YET RELEASED (to my knowledge), may be quite a while

COMMODORE A590
--------------
* Very fast controller bogged down by a very slow 20MB hard drive.
  Commodore does not (yet) sell it without a hard drive.
* Expandable to either 2 or 4 MB RAM (not sure which)
* Latest educational-discount price (5/3/91):  $444 complete (20MB)
  Otherwise, probably too expensive.

XETEC FASTTRAK
--------------
* Rather expensive
* Case is separate from machine (supposedly can support monitor's weight)
* RAM expandable (2MB?)
* 3 drives fit into the case

Now for some general suggestions:
* SHOP AROUND!  Prices vary drastically, from mail-order to dealer,
  and even from mail-order to mail-order or dealer to dealer.
* Try to figure out what you might/might not need as far into the
  future as possible.  For example, if you plan to get a 2000 soon, give
  special consideration to the TrumpCard.
* Keep in mind that while it's nice to have RAM expansion and a hard
  drive all in one unit, there's almost always more than one way to add RAM.
* Always remember that even the slowest hard drive can be 20 times as
  fast as an Amiga 3.5" floppy drive, and even a small hard drive holds
  20 times as much as an Amiga 3.5" floppy drive.
* Ask lots of questions.  Please let me know if you get any good
  answers.  :-)

I would like to sincerely thank all those who gave me information for
this little list.  I am saving this message, and I will update and
repost it periodically, and I will resend it to anyone on request.

Lots of thanks to:
Todd L. Masco <tm2b+@andrew.cmu.edu>
robc@newbridge.com (Rob Craig)
dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio)
Anders Andersson  <andand@puckstang.CSD.UU.SE>
Eric J. Schwertfeger <maniac@cleanhead.cs.unlv.edu>
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner)
Steve Sheldon <TAAK9@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU>
Jon P Baker <jpbaker@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards)
jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
(credit where credit is due)

--Paul Karlin
  pk1s@andrew.cmu.edu

Carnegie Mellon University -- Pittsburgh, PA -- Undergraduate Class of 1994

c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) (05/12/91)

In article <Qc_auoK00WAJ1Uq0lH@andrew.cmu.edu> pk1s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul A. Karlin) writes:

> Okay, after a few weeks of gathering info (and some delay due to final
> exams), here's what I have gathered together:
>
> IVS TRUMPCARD 500 & TRUMPCARD 500 PROFESSIONAL
> * Big and ugly but inexpensive (under $150 for normal, under $200 for pro)

That's cheap.  Places that I have called say $190 and $240 and that is
without a power supply.

I've seen people selling used ones in .marketplace for that price though.

> GVP SERIES II
> -------------
> * No bus pass-through (special GVP "mini-slot" instead), but allows for
>   8MB RAM (SIMMs directly on controller)

Recently I was talking with a non-technical person who was thinking about
buying a GVP.  The dealer had quoted him what I thought was an exorbant
price to add memory to this beast.  I could figure out why since I knew the
dealer and his prices were very competitive.  Then I looked closely at the
ad in AmigaWhirled.  The darn thing uses 2 meg simms, the same ones used in
Mac IIsi.  This is an odd part.  Hard to find and expensive when you do
find them.

> DATAFLYER 500
> -------------
> * Expandable to 8MB RAM (with separate card, like with TrumpCard)

Too bad you can't buy one of these cards.  There has not been an announced
shipping date.  No product announcement.  Not even a MAST style vaporware
announcment.  Me thinks this critter doesn't even exist yet.

> SUPRADRIVE 500XP
> ----------------
> * Typical package comes with 512K or 2MB RAM and 20/40/52MB HD (Quantum(?))

Yes, they are Quantums.  Seems like almost everybody is using Quantums.

> * RAM expansion is up to 8MB, but uses D-RAM (more expensive thanSIMMS)

Up to 2 meg can be added on the main board with DIP style Drams.  The going
rate per byte for Simms and DIPS is almost *exactly* the same.

Above 2 meg you need a special board that uses 4 meg Zips.  Those are quite
expensive.

> * Power supply available spearately -- may be necessary even though
>   Supra claims the controller is "very low-power"
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

'Course it doesn't matter.  The drive will draw more power than the
controler anyway unless the controler is really power hungry and you are
using an ultra low power drive.

The manual for my 105 meg Quantum 105S states that it needs 1.6 amps at 12
volts to power up.  That's more than my Phoenix CPS500's entire 12 volt
rating.  I shudder at using the standard power supply.

> ICD AdIDE
> ---------
> * NOT SCSI!  (Very big important distinction here)

Funny thing is, right now SCSI is slightly cheaper on average than IDE.  I
don't know how long this market anomoly will continue but remember, just
becuase you've heard that IDE is cheaper than SCSI doesn't mean it is
always so.

> XETEC FASTTRAK
> --------------
> * Rather expensive

Not too bad actualy providing you don't get suckered into buying the case
for the drive.  That little luxury will set you back $100.  Drive cases
with power supply can be had for $75 and many places will put the drive in
a box for you for only $50 above the cost of the bare drive.

> * RAM expandable (2MB?)

8 meg but requires an extra, $75 board.

Eric Edwards:  c506634 @  "I say we take off and nuke the entire site
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu  from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet      -- Sigourney Weaver, _Aliens_

brueni@csgrad.cs.vt.edu (05/13/91)

In article <c506634.3300@umcvmb.missouri.edu> c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) writes:
>> GVP SERIES II
>> -------------
>> * No bus pass-through (special GVP "mini-slot" instead), but allows for
>>   8MB RAM (SIMMs directly on controller)
> [chomp, chomp]
>ad in AmigaWhirled.  The darn thing uses 2 meg simms, the same ones used in
		      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not True, the expansion chassis does only have 4 slots for SIMMS, but here
is how GVP has rigged it.  You have a choice of 5 configurations:
	1.  0M, none of the slots filled.
	2.  2M, two 1 Meg SIMM's
	3.  4M, four 1 Meg SIMM's
	4.  4M, one 4 Meg SIMM  (not sure about this one)
	5.  8M, two 4 Meg SIMM's
Set jumpers to let the board know what is in the slots, and off you go!

The 1M and 4M SIMMS are common and relatively inexpensive, but it does
make for a bumpy upgrade path when you finally decide to go for 8M.

-- Dennis
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%-DOT-SIGNATURE-%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 Dennis Brueni				INTERNET:  brueni@csgrad.cs.vt.edu

GaryWeir@cup.portal.com (Gary M Weir) (05/13/91)

>c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) writes:
>
>In article <Qc_auoK00WAJ1Uq0lH@andrew.cmu.edu> pk1s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul A. K
arlin) writes:

>> Okay, after a few weeks of gathering info (and some delay due to final
>> exams), here's what I have gathered together:
stuff deleted

>> GVP SERIES II
>> -------------
>> * No bus pass-through (special GVP "mini-slot" instead), but allows for
>>   8MB RAM (SIMMs directly on controller)
>
>Recently I was talking with a non-technical person who was thinking about
>buying a GVP.  The dealer had quoted him what I thought was an exorbant
>price to add memory to this beast.  I could figure out why since I knew the
>dealer and his prices were very competitive.  Then I looked closely at the
>ad in AmigaWhirled.  The darn thing uses 2 meg simms, the same ones used in
>Mac IIsi.  This is an odd part.  Hard to find and expensive when you do
>find them.

I have a GVP Series II for the A500 that I just purchased in December.
Unless they have changed something very recently, it takes either the 1
meg SIMMs or the 4 meg SIMMs.  The 1 meg SIMMS must be installed in pairs
though so perhaps that is where the confusion comes in (or if it has
changed, where my confusion comes in).  I've never heard of 2 meg SIMMs
myself, but then again I don't price MAC stuff that often....8-).

               GaryWeir@cup.portal.com

s9133283@giaea.gi.oz (Noel Ashford) (05/14/91)

In article <c506634.3300@umcvmb.missouri.edu> c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) writes:
>In article <Qc_auoK00WAJ1Uq0lH@andrew.cmu.edu> pk1s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul A. Karlin) writes:

 Lots of stuff deleted
>> GVP SERIES II
>> -------------
>> * No bus pass-through (special GVP "mini-slot" instead), but allows for
>>   8MB RAM (SIMMs directly on controller)
>
>Recently I was talking with a non-technical person who was thinking about
>buying a GVP.  The dealer had quoted him what I thought was an exorbant
>price to add memory to this beast.  I could figure out why since I knew the
>dealer and his prices were very competitive.  Then I looked closely at the
>ad in AmigaWhirled.  The darn thing uses 2 meg simms, the same ones used in
>Mac IIsi.  This is an odd part.  Hard to find and expensive when you do
>find them.

 I own a GVP series 2, and the SIMM modules it uses are the standard 1*8bit
 SIMMS, which are 1 megabyte.  However the catch in adding memory is that you
 have to add the SIMMs in pairs, hence giving 2,4,6,8 megs.

 Lots of stuff deleted

*              __                        *                                   *
*             ///|           ___         *                                   *
*       __   ///_| |\  /| | /   \   /\   * when an IBM oversized calculator  *
*       \\\ ///  | | \/ | | |   _  /--\  * just wont do!                     *
*        \\X//   | |    | | \___| /    \ *             Noel Ashford 1991     *

steve@wildcat.UUCP (Steve Holland) (05/18/91)

>In article <Qc_auoK00WAJ1Uq0lH@andrew.cmu.edu> pk1s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul A. Karlin) writes:
>>
>> Okay, after a few weeks of gathering info (and some delay due to final
>> exams), here's what I have gathered together:
>>
>> IVS TRUMPCARD 500 & TRUMPCARD 500 PROFESSIONAL
>> * Big and ugly but inexpensive (under $150 for normal, under $200 for pro)
>
>That's cheap.  Places that I have called say $190 and $240 and that is
>without a power supply.
>
>I've seen people selling used ones in .marketplace for that price though.
One note - the memory expansions for these cost Big $$.

>> GVP SERIES II
>> -------------
>> * No bus pass-through (special GVP "mini-slot" instead), but allows for
>>   8MB RAM (SIMMs directly on controller)
>
>Recently I was talking with a non-technical person who was thinking about
>buying a GVP.  The dealer had quoted him what I thought was an exorbant
>price to add memory to this beast.  I could figure out why since I knew the
>dealer and his prices were very competitive.  Then I looked closely at the
>ad in AmigaWhirled.  The darn thing uses 2 meg simms, the same ones used in
>Mac IIsi.  This is an odd part.  Hard to find and expensive when you do
>find them.

This includes a power-supply and is supposed to be quite fast. It uses
DMA unlike most others.

>> SUPRADRIVE 500XP
>> ----------------
>> * Typical package comes with 512K or 2MB RAM and 20/40/52MB HD (Quantum(?))
>
>Yes, they are Quantums.  Seems like almost everybody is using Quantums.
>
>> * RAM expansion is up to 8MB, but uses D-RAM (more expensive thanSIMMS)
>
>Up to 2 meg can be added on the main board with DIP style Drams.  The going
>rate per byte for Simms and DIPS is almost *exactly* the same.
>
>Above 2 meg you need a special board that uses 4 meg Zips.  Those are quite
>expensive.
>
>> * Power supply available spearately -- may be necessary even though
>>   Supra claims the controller is "very low-power"
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>'Course it doesn't matter.  The drive will draw more power than the
>controler anyway unless the controler is really power hungry and you are
>using an ultra low power drive.
>
>The manual for my 105 meg Quantum 105S states that it needs 1.6 amps at 12
>volts to power up.  That's more than my Phoenix CPS500's entire 12 volt
>rating.  I shudder at using the standard power supply.
Actually, they use Conner drives for their 20 and 40MB models (this is the
kind I have) Don't use it without either buying a big powersupply or
their add on p.s which plugs into the back of it. Be warned that to expand
it beyond 2 MB YOU MUST THROW OUT YOUR OLD CHIPS!!!!!

>> ICD AdIDE
>> ---------
>> * NOT SCSI!  (Very big important distinction here)
>
>Funny thing is, right now SCSI is slightly cheaper on average than IDE.  I
>don't know how long this market anomoly will continue but remember, just
>becuase you've heard that IDE is cheaper than SCSI doesn't mean it is
>always so.
>
>> XETEC FASTTRAK
>> --------------
>> * Rather expensive
>
>Not too bad actualy providing you don't get suckered into buying the case
>for the drive.  That little luxury will set you back $100.  Drive cases
>with power supply can be had for $75 and many places will put the drive in
>a box for you for only $50 above the cost of the bare drive.
>
>> * RAM expandable (2MB?)
>
>8 meg but requires an extra, $75 board.
>
>Eric Edwards:  c506634 @  "I say we take off and nuke the entire site
>Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu  from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."
>Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet      -- Sigourney Weaver, _Aliens_

--
Internet: wildcat!steve@alphalpha.com| "I never let my schooling get in the
USENET:  ...!alphalpha!wildcat!steve | way of my education" -Mark Twain