[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP Series II plus Quantum HELP!!!!!!

keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) (05/18/91)

Following up from my earlier post. (No replies :-( ) our local
GVP distributor has my HC+8 Series II with a 40 meg Quantum.
The problem is that with the card in my Amiga and the Amiga is
turned on or warm rebooted. This also happens on other 2000s

Harddrive is accessed
Software requestor appears saying software failure
GURU follows cancel selection
The card has autoboot jumper selected

Hardcard is set on NON AUTOBOOT
GVP prep disk is booted off in df0:
FAAASTPREP programme is run
Manaul installation is selected
Notoce appears saying
EPROM INSERTED? GVPSCSI.DEVICE NOT FOUND. BINDDRIVES? (SIC)
I can not even try to low level format the drive

The distributors have tried the card with another drive and it works
OK so it seems to be the Quantum.
My problem is I want the card back. Their problem is they are having
trouble getting a replacement 40 meg Quantum .It was still under warrenty

My question is:

With the card jumpered for NON-Autoboot why can't I try to low level
format the drive using FAAASTPREP?

The drive is accessed during the startup and then software failure
comes up. What software is likely to be failing?

If the drive is set for autoboot and I have a bootable disk in df0:
the sequence is Harddrive access -- df0: access ---hardrive access
software failure

The RAM om the card (4 meg) is autoconfigured OK and useable.

Any help or comments gratefully accepted.

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May18.003519.2079@actrix.gen.nz>,
keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) writes:

> Harddrive is accessed
> Software requestor appears saying software failure
> GURU follows cancel selection
> The card has autoboot jumper selected
>
> The distributors have tried the card with another drive
> and it works OK so it seems to be the Quantum.

I assume the RDB (probably the FFS) is corrupted.

> With the card jumpered for NON-Autoboot why can't I try to
> low level format the drive using FAAASTPREP?

Because there is no driver for the HD_SCSICMD.

> The drive is accessed during the startup and then software
> failure comes up. What software is likely to be failing?

A trashed copy of the FFS loaded from the RDB.

> Any help or comments gratefully accepted.

- Disable the driver ROM.
- Get BindDrivers driver V3.09 or later.
- Change its tooltype to "AUTOMOUNT=FALSE".
- BindDrivers.
- Use FaaastPrep to reprep the Quantum.
- Re-enable the driver ROM.

See GVP Technical Bulletin #10 for details.

Ralph