[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Description of disk format?

dorf@iesd.auc.dk (Thomas Dorf Nielsen) (05/17/91)

Can anybody out there please help me out on this one:

There is fellow, who knows beans about the amiga.

He needs a thorough(?) technical description of the Amiga disk format,
in order to be able to write a driver for another computer, making
that other computer able to do R/W on Amiga-formatted disks.

So, in what book/article/paper can I find such a description? (All
about tracks, blocks, sectors, TPI etc.)

Please reply by email...

Thanks.

/Thomas
						            oo
						. . . __/\_/`'

In article <1991May17.160053.13799@iesd.auc.dk> dorf@iesd.auc.dk (Thomas Dorf Nielsen) writes:
>He needs a thorough(?) technical description of the Amiga disk format,
>in order to be able to write a driver for another computer, making
>that other computer able to do R/W on Amiga-formatted disks.

	Unless his hardware can do full-track raw reads/writes (i.e. no MFM
decoding/encoding, raw bits straight to drive including clock bits), then
it's hopeless.  Most disk controller chips just don't have that sort of
function as an option.  However, the Amiga can read/write just about any
format the drive hardware can handle, since encode/decode is software based
(of course non-Amiga formats can be slow to encode/decode).

>So, in what book/article/paper can I find such a description? (All
>about tracks, blocks, sectors, TPI etc.)

	There's a (terse) description on pages 992 and 993 of the Amiga Rom
Kernel Manual: Libraries and Devices, revised edition.  This covers sector
layout, not filesystem layout (documented in the Bantam AmigaDos Manual).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)