[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Using a VCR for backup II

s8922967@ipc02.tmc.edu (Murray John GILBERT) (05/20/91)

In article <ronald.3568@ecl014.UUCP> ronald@ecl014.UUCP (Ronald van Eijck) writes:
>I've asked this question before but without any response so I'll try again.
>
>I've heared that there is a backup system that uses a VCR. The only thing
>neaded is a VCR, a cable and software. Is there someone who has any info
>
>Thanx,

I don't know much, but if far distant memory serves correct, it uses an`
8mm video tape, don't know how much it stores but I think I worked out
in a round about way that it was using the PCM (pulse code modulation)
stereo sound track or something of the tape, 16 bits per sample at
31250 samples per second, ie 2 * (16/8) * 31250 bytes per second of tape
= um, 125000 bytes persecond. Therefore 125000 * 60 = 7 500 000 bytes per
minute = 225 000 000 bytes per half hour tape (450x10^6 for 1 hour tape,
etc for 1.5 hour tape) If use the half speed then of course this is doubled,
but quuality (or should I say reliability) is reduced.

Personally I wouldn't trust using video tape. Not after seeing the results
on the telly what a tape that has been recorded on or played too many times.
A small inconvenience on video, but major disaster for computer data store.

Gee, that what a lot of stuff for someone who doesn't really know anything
about it.
Anyone out there who really knows about this stuff.

That's all from me, adios amigos,
					Murray

Murray Gilbert		email: s8922967@mackay.mqcs.mq.oz.au

It seems that Arabs and Israelis are like oil and water,
so how do you make them mix ?
Easy : Soap

ha ha ha, yeh sick isn't it