[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amiga 3000 with 4Mbx4 SCRAMs?

chris@kessner.denver.co.us (Chris Hanson) (05/18/91)

What follows may be considered as Yet Another Comp.Sys.Amiga.Dave.Haynie
Article. YACSADHA, yah.

Dave:

I was recently flipping through some PC-ish magazine (forget which, I read
too many magazines as it is...) and noted an article about the 4Mbx4 DRAM
chips. Curiously, I hunted up the 3000's little-white-book, and began
scrutinizing the Ramsey/ZIP section of the schematics. Now, not having any
pinouts of these marvelous DRAMs, and not even knowing IF they come in a ZIP
configuration (though I expect they do, or shortly will), I shoot from the
hip.

Using a different incarnation of the Ramsey DRAM controller, would it be
possible to stuff 4Mbx4 ZIP-package DRAMs into the a3000 motherboard, thereby
adding memory in 16Mb chunks for a gargantuan 64Mb motherboard configuartion?
Why not be totally absurd, and assume the existance of 16Mbx4-package chips.
Are these speculations possible with the current motherboard design?

Granted, the juice that this much silicon sucks would probably double my
monthly electric bill, but one must be in a position to dream. At the very
least, the 3000T's 280w power supply should certainly suffice. ;)

I currently use a 10Mb-equipped 3000UX, and it strikes my fancy as to what
the reaction of a 1985-era a1000 developer would be upon seeing workbench
report somewhat less than, "69206016 bytes free."

**WIDE GRIN** Do you suppose they'd get excited?

I just recently finished reading your article in the June/July 1991
AmigaWorld Technical Journal. Many Kudos. If this memory-adding scheme is not
possible directly on the motherboard, the ZIII bus certainly seems adaquate!

    Chris - Xenon

--
chris@kessner.denver.co.us (Chris_Hanson || Lord_Xenon || Kelson_Haldane)
Home: (303)762-0849, Work: (303) 696-8973, Flames: 1-976-DEV-NULL

In article <1991May18.060318.1759@kessner.denver.co.us> chris@kessner.denver.co.us (Chris Hanson) writes:

>Using a different incarnation of the Ramsey DRAM controller, would it be
>possible to stuff 4Mbx4 ZIP-package DRAMs into the a3000 motherboard, thereby
>adding memory in 16Mb chunks for a gargantuan 64Mb motherboard configuartion?

No.  The problem is, the current ZIP package is full; there is no more room for
additional addressing.  These higher density parts will have a new pinout.

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.