[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Public Thanks to Ralph Babel was

keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) (05/21/91)

In article <07985.AA07985@babylon.rmt.sub.org> cbmvax.commodore.com!cbmehq!babylon!rbabel (Ralph Babel) writes:
> In article <1991May18.003519.2079@actrix.gen.nz>,
> keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) writes:
>
> > Harddrive is accessed
> > Software requestor appears saying software failure
> > GURU follows cancel selection
> > The card has autoboot jumper selected
> >
> > The distributors have tried the card with another drive
> > and it works OK so it seems to be the Quantum.
>
> I assume the RDB (probably the FFS) is corrupted.
>
> > With the card jumpered for NON-Autoboot why can't I try to
> > low level format the drive using FAAASTPREP?
>
> Because there is no driver for the HD_SCSICMD.
>
> > The drive is accessed during the startup and then software
> > failure comes up. What software is likely to be failing?
>
> A trashed copy of the FFS loaded from the RDB.
>
> > Any help or comments gratefully accepted.
>
> - Disable the driver ROM.
> - Get BindDrivers driver V3.09 or later.
> - Change its tooltype to "AUTOMOUNT=FALSE".
> - BindDrivers.
> - Use FaaastPrep to reprep the Quantum.
> - Re-enable the driver ROM.
>
> See GVP Technical Bulletin #10 for details.
>
> Ralph

Just a note to say in public thanks to Ralph for all his help with GVP
problems that are aired in this newsgroup.
My drive is now up and running. No data lost.
The GVP distributors of course never had bulletin #10 but I faxed them
Ralphs comments.
PS the new FAAASTPREP disk has a great little system info programme on it.
Thanks again for the knowledge in the net and the willingness of people to
share it.