[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Yet more GVP questions

keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) (05/21/91)

Yes more questions. My GVP HC+8 w/40 meg Quantum came back (see previous
posts) but the guy at the repair shop had removed the terminating resistors
that were in the Quantum. The Quantum is mounted on the card and is the only
drive attached to the controller. He said GVP recommend the resistors be removed.
even though it is the only drive. When the drive was supplied with the HC+8
it had the resistors in.
Anyone know what the real poop is?

The repair shop also sent me a copy of the latest version of the GVP Install
disk they had. It has some programmes on it I have no docs for (well the
original docs were very skimpy anyway.)
They are:

boot68000

GVPscsiCtrl

FPU_Test

defdisk

gvpat

gvpscsi
The last two are in the expansion drawer.

Any one have an idea what they are for.

There is a new FAAASTprep called Fastprep 1.98k. It has some more menu items
than the disk I got orignally with my board. They are: Bootfloppy, Calc best
and Mountlist

Any help gratefully received as usual

Keith (I love my GVP board) Stewart "Memory is such a lovely thing...."

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.105323.433@actrix.gen.nz>,
keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) writes:

> The Quantum is mounted on the card and is the only drive
> attached to the controller.

Put the terminators back in.

> boot68000

This will switch a GVP '030 to 68000 mode.

> GVPscsiCtrl

Certain GVP-specific SCSI control options, some of them are
for debugging only; make sure you have driver version 3.10
(or later) or you might crash! Official options include:

- Run >NIL: GvpScsiCtrl ICDCache ;AdSpeed and Series-II.

- GvpScsiCtrl -m ;mounts all partitions on all devices
                 ;recognized.

- GvpScsiCtrl -r ;re-scans the SCSI bus for slow devices
                 ;that didn't respond fast enough at
                 ;power-up time. This includes -m.

- Run >NIL: GvpScsiCtrl -s ;same as -m, but waits until all
                           ;removable-media units have been
                           ;mounted.

As usual: See GVP Technical Bulletin #10 for details. :-)

> FPU_Test

Dunno. Appears to be non-destructive. :-)

> defdisk

Re-assigns all of your system assignments (SYS, C, DEVS,
FONTS, L, LIBS, S) at the same time. Used by
S:floppy.sequence.

> gvpat

GVP's AT BindDrivers driver (for the original '030).

> gvpscsi

GVP's SCSI BindDrivers driver (for the Series-I, Series-II,
"all-in-one" '030+SCSI).

> Bootfloppy,

Haven't tried it yet.

> Calc best

An alternate geometry algorithm from "GvpUtils/GvpPrep".

> and Mountlist

Uses the current RDB data to create a MountList in "RAM:".

Ralph