[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 1084 Monitor Blues!!!

Paul.Davis@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Paul Davis) (05/21/91)

I have a question for anyone who wants to take a shot at it, we own a
couple of commodore 1084 monitors (along with tons of other C= equipment)
and they have started to exhibit a problem that has us baffled, each
monitor will at times simply shut off, the screen will go blank and stay
that way for about five minutes then suddenly it's back on for about
another five minutes. While the screen is out the power LED stays on,
we have determined that the flyback does in fact shut down (we cannot
hear it whine) and you can audibly hear it power back up when the monitor
comes back online. My question(s) is this: does anyone know exactly what
is causing this, it must be a common experience as I have heard from other
individuals who are experiencing the same problem. My first guess would
be that the flyback is going into thermal shutdown and after cooling off
for a little while kicks back in, not an educated opinion just a hackers
guess!. By the way the monitor is manufactured for commodore by Magnavox
(I am not %100 sure on this so correct me if I am wrong), any help or
ideas would be greatly appreciated as I cannot see just letting the
monitors go to waste and $200 just to open the case is to much to send
them in, I would like to fix them myself if possible. Thanks in advance.

Only Amiga Makes It Possible         Only Dead Fish Swim With The Stream!
Software Developer/Engineer For Acropolis Development                  //
Inet:Paul.Davis@bbs.oit.unc.edu                                      \X/

   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information
        Technology, or the Experimental Bulletin Board Service.
           internet:  bbs.oit.unc.edu or 128.109.157.30

kermode@shiva.trl.OZ.AU (Roger Kermode) (05/22/91)

Paul.Davis@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Paul Davis) writes:

>I have a question for anyone who wants to take a shot at it, we own a
>couple of commodore 1084 monitors (along with tons of other C= equipment)
>and they have started to exhibit a problem that has us baffled, each
>monitor will at times simply shut off, the screen will go blank and stay
>that way for about five minutes then suddenly it's back on for about
>another five minutes. While the screen is out the power LED stays on,
>we have determined that the flyback does in fact shut down (we cannot
>hear it whine) and you can audibly hear it power back up when the monitor
>comes back online. My question(s) is this: does anyone know exactly what
>is causing this,

I had a similiar problem with my 1084, it would go for a while and
then shutdown. The power light would still be lit but there would be
no picture on the screen. Occasionally a small amount of percussive
maintenance would persuade it to fire up again for a while.

The cause of this problem in my case was that the solder joints
connecting the flyback transformer to the pcb had failed. To fix it
all that was required was to open up the monitor and resolder them.
Give that a try, you might be surprised...

>Inet:Paul.Davis@bbs.oit.unc.edu

Roger Kermode, Telecom Research Laboratories | " I didn't do it,
ACSnet[AARN/Internet] r.kermode@trl.oz[.au]  |   they didn't see me do it,
Snail : PO Box 249 Clayton, Victoria, 3168,  |   they can't prove a thing!"
STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY                   |    - Bartholomew J Simpson