[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Is IBM buying AMIGA???

dannie@coplex.uucp (Dannie Gregoire) (05/22/91)

I've heard recently through the grapevine that IBM has some interest in
Commodore-Amiga.  Specifically it seems that big blue is interested in
purchasing the Amiga chip set.  As if IBM will be able to do more with it
than Commodore has ;-)  Anyone else know anything about this covert activity?

			Care to comment Commodore?

 |    Dannie J. Gregoire            \\\\////         dannie@coplex         |
 |  Copper Electronics Inc.         ////\\\\         !uunet!coplex!dannie  |

ptavoly@cs.ruu.nl (Peter Tavoly) (05/22/91)

In <1991May21.210940.1873@coplex.uucp> dannie@coplex.uucp (Dannie Gregoire) writes:

>I've heard recently through the grapevine that IBM has some interest in
>Commodore-Amiga.  Specifically it seems that big blue is interested in
>purchasing the Amiga chip set.  As if IBM will be able to do more with it
>than Commodore has ;-)  Anyone else know anything about this covert activity?

It is highly unlikely that C-A would be purchased by IBM, it would be a
serious dent in their image.. Besides what would they want with a 'games
machine' 1/2 :-)

On the other hand I can imagine a license to the chip technology, but
Commodore would then give away the only advantage they have. (Apart from the
wonderful multitasking OS) This is the same worrying tendency as with the
Toaster: the things that are good about the Amiga (like the Toaster peripheral
in conjunction with the Amiga specific chips) are spinning off, as there is
a larger profit to be made if the bad image is not obvious.

Followups to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy (The Next Flamefest (tm))

> |    Dannie J. Gregoire            \\\\////         dannie@coplex         |
> |  Copper Electronics Inc.         ////\\\\         !uunet!coplex!dannie  |

Thomas Tavoly, Commercial Computer Science - HEAO Utrecht, NL.           / / /
"Whoever talks too much, has no time to think." - Peter Tavoly.       AMIGA /
Favourite quote: "The Mac OS is amazingly complex,               ____  / / /
 .sig v3.0e       given how little it does." - Peter da Silva    \ \ \/ / /