[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 troubles, OS 2.0 troubles, and then some.

kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) (05/09/91)

From kholland Wed May  8 15:50:31 1991
Date: Wed, 8 May 91 15:50:12 MDT
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON>
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
To: kholland

550 cbmvax!drysdale@dsinc,widener!msi.umn.edu!news.cs.indiana.edu!ariel.unm.edu!hydra.unm.edu!kholland@dsinc... Host unknown

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
Date: Wed, 8 May 91 15:50:12 MDT
From: Kiernan Holland <kholland>
To: cbmvax!drysdale@dsinc,
        widener!msi.umn.edu!news.cs.indiana.edu!ariel.unm.edu!hydra.unm.edu!kholland@dsinc
Subject: Re: NEW Commodore Upgrade for A1000 Owners!

	From cbmvax!drysdale@dsinc.dsi.com Wed May  8 13:42:51 1991
	Date: Wed, 8 May 91 15:21:44 EDT
	From: cbmvax!drysdale@dsinc (Scott Drysdale)
	To: widener!msi.umn.edu!news.cs.indiana.edu!ariel.unm.edu!hydra.unm.edu!kholland@dsinc
	Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware,comp.sys.amiga,comp.sys.amiga.marketplace

	In article <1991May07.224440.2764@ariel.unm.edu> you write:
	>Those darn a**holes, I hate commodore forever now.

	knock knock.  anyone home?

	first of all, it sounds like you're running mostly games on your machine.
	that would explain the "i hardly ever notice the speed difference."
	"10% of my software works" sounds alot like poorly written games.  also
	remember that 2.0 isn't finished yet.  the "current" 2.0 is around 95%
	compatible with all the games we could get our hands on.  and all the music
	programs work now - and midi stuff works vastly better under 2.0 than under
	1.3.

	do you always get this upset when something goes "on sale" after you paid
	normal price for it?

	  --Scotty
	Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
	Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
			         PHONE - yes.
	"Have you hugged your hog today?"

-----------------------------------
Bull, bull, bull,
I bought mine last month under the new (or so I thought) student deal.
Price of the 3000 came down 100 dollars and the monitor went up
about the same price from the month before (I wonder if I can
get some money on my system if they lower the price anymore
(I bought on a gold card that gives you back upto 500 dollars
if you find a lower priced item, sooo if I can find the 3000
on student deal or from the special deal [maybe] for a lower price
this would make me satisfied.

My productivity packages outnumber my games, to give you an idea.
I run TAD, which will not work on OS 2.0 (the art department, acronym).
Xoper (PD) will not work. The Text cut&paste feature leaves much
to be desired (snipit, PD, can do better under 1.3).
The new look is alright, but the compatibility problems are
numerous. For instance, I can't run Intuitracker (NoiseTracker
module player) while working on a terminal program (use
N-comm, and wish I could use VLT but it will not work with the
system period). Where is there a utility on WB 2.0 that does
what such programs as fixdisk will do, only disk doctor
will do it (but that isn't too great). There needs to be a better
way of hooking that power switch to the button in front of the
3000 (it fell off the second day I had the system, then I had to repair
it). The monitor failed on the first day and the system software
was not properly loaded. I couldn't find anyway to suspend the
way I wanted my directories to come up (name, Icon, etc).
PKAZIP (PD/SW) will not work under 2.0 (note: this is the only
existing ZIP compression/uncompression program available for
amiga's, most all the BBS's localy will not accept .arc or .zoo).
Most times the only programs that will work on OS 2.0 are the
intuitionized ones. So far, the only game that I would like to run
on OS 2.0 is my DRIP {which is also PD/SW}. It is amazing
that under 1.3, I can run a program called Zoom that is only 1.5 K
big and is more useful to me than MACH III and OS 2.0 combined.

Later

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (05/09/91)

kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:
>I run TAD, which will not work on OS 2.0 (the art department, acronym).

I don't have The Art Department, but Perry Kivolowitz of ASDG says it
works fine under 2.0.

>Xoper (PD) will not work.

Xoper works just fine.

> The Text cut&paste feature leaves much
>to be desired (snipit, PD, can do better under 1.3).

True, I run Snap under 2.0.

>The new look is alright, but the compatibility problems are
>numerous. For instance, I can't run Intuitracker (NoiseTracker
>module player) while working on a terminal program (use
>N-comm,

Sounds like broken software to me, you can't blame that on 2.0, blame it
on the program's author.

> wish I could use VLT but it will not work with the
>system period).

I've been using VLT under 2.0 for almost a year now, it works fine, and
has over several revisions.

> Where is there a utility on WB 2.0 that does
>what such programs as fixdisk will do, only disk doctor
>will do it (but that isn't too great).

FixDisk has supposedly been improved, but I still don't trust it.
DiskSalv is still the best, but doesn't fix in place.

> There needs to be a better
>way of hooking that power switch to the button in front of the
>3000 (it fell off the second day I had the system, then I had to repair
>it).

No problem here with that in a year and the system has been moved
between cities several times.

>The monitor failed on the first day and the system software
>was not properly loaded.

The A1950 is garbage, but that's what I've come to expect from CBM
monitors. You're far better of with something from NEC, Sony, etc.

>I couldn't find anyway to suspend the
>way I wanted my directories to come up (name, Icon, etc).

"Snapshot" from the WB menu.

>PKAZIP (PD/SW) will not work under 2.0 (note: this is the only
>existing ZIP compression/uncompression program available for
>amiga's, most all the BBS's localy will not accept .arc or .zoo).

Again, a defective program, yell at Phil Katz and Co. to fix their
broken software, and while you're at it, get them to do a CLI version.
The standard around here and on BIX is LHArc, which works fine on all
systems.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g

martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) (05/10/91)

>Bull, bull, bull,
>I bought mine last month under the new (or so I thought) student deal.
>Price of the 3000 came down 100 dollars and the monitor went up
>about the same price from the month before (I wonder if I can
>get some money on my system if they lower the price anymore
>(I bought on a gold card that gives you back upto 500 dollars
>if you find a lower priced item, sooo if I can find the 3000
>on student deal or from the special deal [maybe] for a lower price
>this would make me satisfied.
>
>My productivity packages outnumber my games, to give you an idea.
>I run TAD, which will not work on OS 2.0 (the art department, acronym).

TAD has worked under every version of 2.0.

>Xoper (PD) will not work.

It works on 2.0 as well as it works under 1.3.

>The Text cut&paste feature leaves much
>to be desired (snipit, PD, can do better under 1.3).

agreed. But on the Amiga, you can always use your favorite PD replacement.

>The new look is alright, but the compatibility problems are
>numerous.

Commodore has spent the last 6 months analyzing why programs are
breaking under 2.0 and patching the OS to make them work.
Compatibility is probably around 90%.  Probably most of your
problems are 68030 related.  Many games can't deal with the added
speed or caches.

>and wish I could use VLT but it will not work with the
>system period).

Lots of people here use it with no problems.

>Where is there a utility on WB 2.0 that does
>what such programs as fixdisk will do, only disk doctor
>will do it (but that isn't too great). There needs to be a better
>way of hooking that power switch to the button in front of the
>3000 (it fell off the second day I had the system, then I had to repair
>it). The monitor failed on the first day and the system software
>was not properly loaded.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Could be your problem here.

>I couldn't find anyway to suspend the
>way I wanted my directories to come up (name, Icon, etc).

Try Snapshot on the pull down menu.

>PKAZIP (PD/SW) will not work under 2.0 (note: this is the only
>existing ZIP compression/uncompression program available for
>amiga's, most all the BBS's localy will not accept .arc or .zoo).

I've never seen PKAzip.

>Most times the only programs that will work on OS 2.0 are the
>intuitionized ones.

Actually, since intuition has been the most changed module,
probably the opposite is true.

Sounds like you haven't figured out your system yet. Instead
of flaming, why not post questions?  Most people here are
happy to answer questions (or return flames).

In a previous post, you said that the 3000 wasn't any faster unless you
ran 2.0.  This is not true.  Both should be 10 times faster than a 2000
(except for floating point, which can be much faster than that).
Do you have the data and instruction caches enabled under 1.3?

BTW, don't flame C= people on the net for any marketing deals.  We
programmers usually hear about them first on the net.

Martin Hunt         Commodore-Amiga          martin@cbmvax.commodore.com

"Windows 3.0 is hot because it's really fun.  It has brought some
excitement back into the PC industry" - Microsoft
I wonder who took the excitement out in the first place?

In article <21459@cbmvax.commodore.com> martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) writes:

>>Where is there a utility on WB 2.0 that does
>>what such programs as fixdisk will do, only disk doctor
>>will do it (but that isn't too great). There needs to be a better
>>way of hooking that power switch to the button in front of the
>>3000 (it fell off the second day I had the system, then I had to repair
>>it). The monitor failed on the first day and the system software
>>was not properly loaded.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Could be your problem here.

	Hmm. I'm wondering about something. Is it possible that
the version of 2.0 that was restored onto his A3000 (by his
dealer?) was some 1.4 beta? Or a pre-release 2.0?

	-- Ethan

GEORGE BUSH MURDER ASSASSINATE PENTAGON CAPITOL WHITE HOUSE
Greetings to the loyal Americans working at the NSA! Enjoy.

yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.141219.1052@javelin.sim.es.com>, blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) writes...

>kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:
>>I run TAD, which will not work on OS 2.0 (the art department, acronym).

>>PKAZIP (PD/SW) will not work under 2.0 (note: this is the only
>>existing ZIP compression/uncompression program available for
>>amiga's, most all the BBS's localy will not accept .arc or .zoo).
>
>Again, a defective program, yell at Phil Katz and Co. to fix their
>broken software, and while you're at it, get them to do a CLI version.
>The standard around here and on BIX is LHArc, which works fine on all
>systems.

PKAZIP has not given me any problems under WB2.02.

	John

nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) (05/11/91)

In article <21459@cbmvax.commodore.com> martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) writes:

>In a previous post, you said that the 3000 wasn't any faster unless you
>ran 2.0.  This is not true.  Both should be 10 times faster than a 2000
>(except for floating point, which can be much faster than that).
>Do you have the data and instruction caches enabled under 1.3?
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How do I know if my A3000 has caches enabled or disabled?

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (05/14/91)

yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU writes:
>In article <1991May9.141219.1052@javelin.sim.es.com>, blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) writes...
>>>PKAZIP (PD/SW) will not work under 2.0 (note: this is the only

>>Again, a defective program, yell at Phil Katz and Co. to fix their
>>broken software, and while you're at it, get them to do a CLI version.

>PKAZIP has not given me any problems under WB2.02.

How much Fast RAM have you got? I'd guess only 1M, and that you've used
up the 512K of Fast that's free, and PKAZIP is running out of Chip RAM.
If I run NoFastMem first, PKAZIP does work on my A3000, but if run out
of fast RAM, it crashes every time.
--

In article <282B0DC3.28432@orion.oac.uci.edu> nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) writes:
>How do I know if my A3000 has caches enabled or disabled?

	From a shell type "cpu".  There are various options for playing
with cache/mmu features.

	As for KHolland's problems: he should check that he's running at
least 2.02 (version will report kickstart 36.207).  Some of his other problems
may be broken PD or commercial software, though most of the things he mentioned
work fine for everyone I know.

	Also, the soon-to-be-released (no I can't say exactly when) 2.04 is a
large step forward in compatibility - ask any developer you know (mostly in
games but in other things also).  Some applications cannot be kludged around
and we have worked with the publishers when possible on getting updated
versions available.

--
Randell Jesup, Jack-of-quite-a-few-trades, Commodore Engineering.
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.