[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Moving to the A3000

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (05/16/91)

I am (hopefully) getting my A3000 soon. I want to move my hard disk from my
A2000 to the A3000 as my second disk. It is an external, full height, 140 mb,
SCSI drive that is my 1st SCSI disk, DH2: and my boot disk on the A2000. I
want to set it to SCSI device #2 on the A3000. besides changing the termination
on the internal drive on the A3000, what else do I have to do?  Do I have to
change any mountlists? Do I have to re-prep the drive? I would like to keep
everything on there without reformatting this drive. I am getting prepared for
my A3000 which I should have in a couple of weeks. Thanks in advance.

neil

--
Only 3153 shopping days left till the next millenium!
Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu

In article <1023@celia.UUCP> celia!neil@usc.edu (Neil Richmond) writes:
>I want to move my hard disk from my
>A2000 to the A3000 as my second disk. It is an external, full height, 140 mb,
>SCSI drive that is my 1st SCSI disk, DH2: and my boot disk on the A2000. I
>want to set it to SCSI device #2 on the A3000. besides changing the termination
>on the internal drive on the A3000, what else do I have to do?  Do I have to
>change any mountlists? Do I have to re-prep the drive? I would like to keep
>everything on there without reformatting this drive. I am getting prepared for
>my A3000 which I should have in a couple of weeks. Thanks in advance.

	The answers to your questions, Neil, mostly depend on what your
current controller is.  Since you talk of mountlists, I suspect it's on a
2090(a).

	Initially, at least, you can hook it up to an A3000 and use it via
mountlists.  However, life is faster and easier if you convert it to rigid
disk block setup.  If you're careful, you won't have to dump/restore (though
you should probably make a full backup just in case!)  THe way to do this is:

	1) select the drive in HDToolbox
	2) go to the change drive type screen and tell it to create a new one
	3) set up th geometry EXACTLY the way your moustlist set it up
	4) save it, and select it for that drive
	5) go into the partitioning screen, and set up your partitions on
	   EXACTLY the same cylinders as before, and same filesystem type.
	   Partition names, buffers, etc don't have to be identical.  I
	   strongly suggest you not make it bootable - boot off the internal
	   drives' wb_2.x: partition.
	6) save changes, cross fingers, and reboot.

	If it was set up on a 2091 or any other rigid disk block drive, it
should plug right in and the partitions come up.  You might want to make the
partitions non-bootable first.

	If this is internal, the last drive should be the one with terminators.
If it's external, both should have terminators.

--
Randell Jesup, Jack-of-quite-a-few-trades, Commodore Engineering.
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.