[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Seagate Drives

rjkloost@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (05/16/91)

S and it is on all hours.. )

Thanks

rjkloost@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU>CA
[A[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[
   [C[D       [D[D[D[D[D[D[DU.CA

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (05/17/91)

On a related note:

Seagate tells me they will be announcing/shipping a new (very large)
drive this fall.  It is about 2.4 Gbyte unformatted.  I asked because
I am spec-ing a Sun SPARC at work and want the largest drives I can
get my hands on.  One of the specs intruiged me.  Throughput.  I have
seen this spec quoted several different ways and I am wondering about
it.  Peak numbers are quoted and sustained numbers.  Sometimes just
numbers.  The units are either MegaHertz or MegaBytes/Minute.  Now the
guy I talked to said the rotation speed is to be 3600 RPM and yet he
claims a thruput of 10 MegaBytes/Sec (I said 'minute' up above.  So I
messed up!  Shut up!  --E. Murphy).  Now I tried to convert that to a
sustained megahertz number and came up with 80 MHz so I think the 10 MB/S
is the SCSI burst speed not the hard drive device sustained speed.

OK, finally for my questions:

	1. What is the fastest sustained throughput drive the Amiga
           can handle?  20 MHz?  28MHz?  What if any 'magic' is needed
           to handle such a drive?  Controller/memory/etc.

	2. Sun and other workstation vendors already claim to use
           SCSI 2.  Does CBM have plans to support it?  I'm not asking
	   about products.  More design philosophy.  Will SCSI 2 give
	   enough increase in speed to make a viable product as opposed
	   to a 'me-too' marketing product.

	3. I see transfer rates being batted around in workstation/unix
	   magazines of 4-5 MB/sec.  Used to be people on this thread
	   said the Amiga's 1.2 MB/s SCSI was one of the fastest SCSI
	   implementations going.  I've seen Amiga numbers around 2 MB/s.
	   Have SCSI designs on other machines really tripled/quadrupled
	   in speed?

	4. Assuming that sustained throughput is an important spec for
	   hard drives, anybody know a good rule-of-thumb for estimating
	   the speed of a drive given a few common factors like, average
	   seek time, rotation speed, max bit density/unformatted capacity?
	   Seems like you should be able to do this.

Thanks in advance

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

"Why do I ask such dumb questions?  All the good ones are already taken!"

In article <42421@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>On a related note:

>Seagate tells me they will be announcing/shipping a new (very large)
>drive this fall.  It is about 2.4 Gbyte unformatted.

>OK, finally for my questions:

>	1. What is the fastest sustained throughput drive the Amiga
>           can handle?  20 MHz?  28MHz?  What if any 'magic' is needed
>           to handle such a drive?  Controller/memory/etc.

Specifying a frequency here is meaningless, because you're interested in
bandwith.  Bandwith is generally measured in bytes/second, which gives you
numbers that are independent of system architecture.  All things being equal,
a system that manages 10MB/s could be a 64 bit RISC thing clocked at 1.25MHz,
a 68000 clocked at around 20MHz.  Anyway, in the A3000, the weakest link is
the SCSI bus.  It runs somewhere about 5MB/s in synchronous mode, which the
A3000 SCSI hardware has no trouble keeping up with.  Actual transfers from the
DMA controller's FIFO to memory happen at around 20MB/s.

>	2. Sun and other workstation vendors already claim to use
>           SCSI 2.  Does CBM have plans to support it?  I'm not asking
>	   about products.  More design philosophy.  Will SCSI 2 give
>	   enough increase in speed to make a viable product as opposed
>	   to a 'me-too' marketing product.

There is a SCSI-2 version of the A3000's Western Digital SCSI chip.  Right now,
they don't have a scsi.device for it.  It's probably not going to buy you much
anyway, though, since even with killer drives, you're going to be limited by
the speed of the drive.  The main advantage of the faster modes on SCSI buses
is when you have multiple drives in place.

>	3. I see transfer rates being batted around in workstation/unix
>	   magazines of 4-5 MB/sec.

Nearly all of the system benchmarks I've seen (in places like "UNIX Review" and
"Personal Workstation") measure disk rate in KB/s.  Most UNIX systems can
sustain 350-500kB/s.  A few really good ones go higher, but not many.  At least
until you get into RAID boxes instead of single SCSI drives.  For example, the
April 1991 issue of "UNIX Review" tests a few low cost UNIX systems.  They get
a maximum of 617kB/s for the Sun SLC, 436kB/s for the DECstation 2100, 295kB/s
for the HP DN2500, and 423kB/s for a generic '486 PClone (all sequential reads,
see page 49 for more details).

>	Used to be people on this thread said the Amiga's 1.2 MB/s SCSI was
>	one of the fastest SCSI  implementations going.  I've seen Amiga
>	numbers around 2 MB/s. Have SCSI designs on other machines really
>	tripled/quadrupled in speed?

For the most part, no.  You're either looking at the wrong numbers, or thinking
of some pretty expensive workstations.  Also, beware what you're looking at.
Drive people like to talk in terms of peak transfer rates, rarely sustained
transfer rates.  Real meaningful benchmarks have to reflect what's happening
through a machine's filesystem, which is what you're seeing with Amigas in most
cases.  The filesystem takes into account Disk, SCSI, host adaptor, device
driver, and filesystem efficiencies.

>Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com
      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (05/23/91)

Dave, thanks for all the comments on my questions about sustained SCSI
transfer rates.

First, I am talking about a SPARC 2 so I don't know if that is considered
a low-cost workstation or not.  You didn't mention it when listing a few
models so I'd guess not.  SUN prints numbers like 2-3 MB/s for it and
claims it is SCSI 2.  (oops, they claim 1.8 MB/s, 3 MB/s synchronous).

Second, after I posted my qustions I received the latest Seagate catalog.
They have some 5400 RPM SCSI-2 drives they rate at 28MB/s internal
transfer and 10MB/s external transfer.  Do you think they are saying
the drive has the capability to transfer data+clock bits at 28MB/s
and the SCSI protocol is holding it back to 10?  (I ask Seagate and
their sales people won't speculate.)

I know that current disks (40-100 MByte quantums for example) are the
bottle neck in data transfer with the Amiga line of machines.  I am
curious if disks are starting to come out that can transfer data
faster than the SCSI interface.  I tried to calculate disk rotation
speed versus bits per track but that information isn't included for
SCSI disks.  If sustained transfer rates are increasing from 500KB/s
to 2MB/s then there must be more bits per track since the fastest
spinning drives are increasing RPM by only 50%.

What's the real story in sustained transfer rates?

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

mscritsm@isis.cs.du.edu (Milton Scritsmier) (05/24/91)

>Second, after I posted my qustions I received the latest Seagate catalog.
>They have some 5400 RPM SCSI-2 drives they rate at 28MB/s internal
>transfer and 10MB/s external transfer.  Do you think they are saying
>the drive has the capability to transfer data+clock bits at 28MB/s
>and the SCSI protocol is holding it back to 10?  (I ask Seagate and
>their sales people won't speculate.)

Actually, that 28 MB/s figure is 28 megabits/sec.  Megabits/sec is the
standard measure these days for data transfer rates to the media.  It
does not take into account overhead such as the media format, but is
a raw transfer rate number.  Thus that 28 mbits/sec rate translates
to 3.5 megabytes/sec.  Thus even the current SCSI-1 synchronous transfer
rate of 5 megabytes/sec is sufficient to keep up with the drive.

>I know that current disks (40-100 MByte quantums for example) are the
>bottle neck in data transfer with the Amiga line of machines.  I am
>curious if disks are starting to come out that can transfer data
>faster than the SCSI interface.  I tried to calculate disk rotation
>speed versus bits per track but that information isn't included for
>SCSI disks.  If sustained transfer rates are increasing from 500KB/s
>to 2MB/s then there must be more bits per track since the fastest
>spinning drives are increasing RPM by only 50%.
>
>What's the real story in sustained transfer rates?

There are more bits/track than before, especially since many drives now
divide the media into zones where the number of bits per inch along any
track is roughly constant.  This has the effect of putting more bits per
track on the outer part of the disk.  (Without zones, the number of bits
per track was constant across all tracks.  This meant that the size of
each bit cell was smaller nearer the inner part of the media than the
outer part of the media since the circumference of a track is smaller
near the inner part of the media than the outer part.  As a result, the
amount of data you could store in the drive was limited by how dense
you could pack the bits near the inner part of the media, and some capacity
was always wasted in the outer part of the media.)  Also, you are correct
in implying that the state of the art has improved in making each bit
smaller on the media.  But improving drive performance is like that old
saw that a chain is no stronger than its weakest link.  To go along with
improvements in media recording densities, drive manufacturers also had
to improve the DMA transfer rate of the drive interface by using buffers
and faster electronics.  Computer manufacturers had to improve their buses
to handle the faster rates.  There is a big difference between an XT bus
and an EISA or Zorro bus.  Currently, the raw performance of a single drive
subsystem is still limited by the media transfer rate because of the
mechanical nature of that process versus the electrical nature of everything
else involved.  JVC, however, supposedly has a 3 1/2 inch drive which
can transfer data from the media at very high transfer rates, on the order
of 15 megabytes/sec.  If this is so, then even SCSI-2 would be a bottleneck.

In article <42601@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:

>First, I am talking about a SPARC 2 so I don't know if that is considered
>a low-cost workstation or not.  You didn't mention it when listing a few
>models so I'd guess not.  SUN prints numbers like 2-3 MB/s for it and
>claims it is SCSI 2.  (oops, they claim 1.8 MB/s, 3 MB/s synchronous).

I haven't seen any numbers for a SparcStation 2.  You have to be a little
careful about what the vendor of a system says (of course you won't notice that
I'd the "vendor" here), versus what a reviewer actually measures in a review.
Unless they have an asterisk next to the numbers, and you read at the bottom
of the page something like "...as measured with [insert favorite disk speed
measurement tool here]".

>Second, after I posted my qustions I received the latest Seagate catalog.
>They have some 5400 RPM SCSI-2 drives they rate at 28MB/s internal
>transfer and 10MB/s external transfer.  Do you think they are saying
>the drive has the capability to transfer data+clock bits at 28MB/s
>and the SCSI protocol is holding it back to 10?  (I ask Seagate and
>their sales people won't speculate.)

My guess is that they can grab data from their on-drive cache at 28MB/s, and
send it over at the full SCSI-2/8-bit speed of 10MB/s.  I don't believe for a
second they get sustained 28MB/s or 10MB/s from the drive itself.

>If sustained transfer rates are increasing from 500KB/s to 2MB/s then there
>must be more bits per track since the fastest spinning drives are increasing
>RPM by only 50%.

The trick is, the fastest and most expensive drives are also big.  So rather
than a single or a pair of heads as in your lower density Quantums, they may
have 6 or 8 heads, maybe even more (I don't know the typical number these days
on a big drive).  The faster rotation gives them a little better per head
speed and a little less rotational seeking latency, but they really get speed
with more heads.  And the caches that most of them have.  Regardless, I don't
think you're going to get close to saturating SCSI off-peak without multiple
drives, no matter who's making them these days.

In article <21894@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <42601@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>>First, I am talking about a SPARC 2 so I don't know if that is considered
>>a low-cost workstation or not.  You didn't mention it when listing a few
>>models so I'd guess not.  SUN prints numbers like 2-3 MB/s for it and
>>claims it is SCSI 2.  (oops, they claim 1.8 MB/s, 3 MB/s synchronous).

	SCSI 2 doesn't really mean much.  The "good stuff" in SCSI 2 is
mainly the 10MB/s "Fast" synchronous mode.  For a host adapter, SCSI 2 often
merely means that you don't use any non-SCSI-1 commands that aren't in SCSI-2.
(i.e. you use don't use anything "funny", and may use one or two new SCSI-2
commands on rare occasion.)  We could probably call the 590/2091/3000 scsi
a SCSI-2 controller by that definition, though we don't.  SCSI-2 can also mean
that it's a SCSI-1 controller with a SCSI-2 connector.

	BTW, 1.8 asynch, 3.0 synch is NOT fast for a modern SCSI controller.
Really old ones do 1.5/NA, old ones do 3.0/5.0, and current ones do 5.0/5.0+,
and SCSI-2 ones do ~5.0/10.0.  (Taken from the NCR scsi chip family - the WD
33c93a chip is around 3-4.0/4.0 I think, the 33c93b is 4.0/10.0.)

>>Second, after I posted my qustions I received the latest Seagate catalog.
>>They have some 5400 RPM SCSI-2 drives they rate at 28MB/s internal
>>transfer and 10MB/s external transfer.  Do you think they are saying
>>the drive has the capability to transfer data+clock bits at 28MB/s
>>and the SCSI protocol is holding it back to 10?  (I ask Seagate and
>>their sales people won't speculate.)
>
>My guess is that they can grab data from their on-drive cache at 28MB/s, and
>send it over at the full SCSI-2/8-bit speed of 10MB/s.  I don't believe for a
>second they get sustained 28MB/s or 10MB/s from the drive itself.

	28MB/s includes clock bits, etc, etc.  My 400+MB, 4400rpm 3.5" Seagate
does 2MB/s sustained on a 3000 through the FS on the outer tracks, 1.5MB/s
on the inner tracks.  (Note that on the Amiga, max filesystem rates are
essentially device rates.)  It's a SCSI-2 drive (will do 10MB/s), but that's
close to useless to me, since its sustained rate is 2MB/s max.  The main
putpose of the high xfer rate is for when the drive already has the sector
you need in cache, and so you can run more drives on the same bus at their
sustained rates.  It's absolute max average is 2.1 MB/s at the interface.

	We've run one of these under Diskspeed at 90+% of maximum speed while
running a Quantum 210S at 90+% of its maximum, at the same time (total
xfer rate: ~2.8 MB/s) on an A3000.

>The trick is, the fastest and most expensive drives are also big.  So rather
>than a single or a pair of heads as in your lower density Quantums, they may
>have 6 or 8 heads, maybe even more (I don't know the typical number these days
>on a big drive).  The faster rotation gives them a little better per head
>speed and a little less rotational seeking latency, but they really get speed
>with more heads.

	They also get speed with more sectors/track and zone recording (at
least on the outer tracks).  Apparently they get up to 64 sectors/track.

--
Randell Jesup, Jack-of-quite-a-few-trades, Commodore Engineering.
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.

mscritsm@isis.cs.du.edu (Milton Scritsmier) (05/25/91)

In article <21894@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>The trick is, the fastest and most expensive drives are also big.  So rather
>than a single or a pair of heads as in your lower density Quantums, they may
>have 6 or 8 heads, maybe even more (I don't know the typical number these days
>on a big drive).  The faster rotation gives them a little better per head
>speed and a little less rotational seeking latency, but they really get speed
>with more heads.  And the caches that most of them have.  Regardless, I don't
>think you're going to get close to saturating SCSI off-peak without multiple
>drives, no matter who's making them these days.

Actually, the number of heads has very little to do with data transfer
speeds.  A track to track seek is about 2 or 3 ms, and this is much less
than the average rotational latency of 6 to 8 ms that happens when the
drive waits for the data to come under its head after it has seeked to
the proper track.  Thus having more heads to reduce the number of seeks
doesn't buy you that much on a given command.  Plus, most SCSI drives
have 40 or more 512-byte sectors per track.  That's at least 20K on each
track, and I doubt that a lot of commands are that big.  As for caches,
there are times when it will help, but by and large the greatest factor
in drive performance is such things as how fast the drive spins and how
fast it can seek.  For example, the old standard for rotational speed
was 3600 rpm.  Now we are seeing some drives at 4500 rpm or more.  That's
at 25% increase in speed, even if the data was recorded at the same
density.  Add the increases in recording density that are in fact taking
place, and we are seeing increases from 10 megabits/sec a couple of
years ago to 24 megabits/sec or more today.