[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Any Success Running CDROM-FS with Supra Controller?

plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (05/25/91)

When the Hypermedia Concepts CDROM of Fish Disks was first announced, I
asked the question:  has anybody succeeded in running the Canadian
Prototype Replica CDROM-FS filesystem in a hardware configuration
running the Supra Wordsync controller?

Aside from a couple of "please post any reply" mail messages, nothing
came back.  Now that the software and Fish CDROM have been out for a
while, I'll ask again.  Has anyone with a Supra controller got a CDROM
drive up and running?  If so, detailed information including mountlist
and startup-sequence entries would be appreciated.

--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Maynard, Mass.
plouff@kali.enet.dec.com

Networking bibliography:  _Islands in the Net_, by Bruce Sterling
			  _The Matrix_, by John S. Quarterman

mmm@reaper.Chi.IL.US (Michael Marvin Morrison) (05/26/91)

In article <22901@shlump.lkg.dec.com> plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:

>When the Hypermedia Concepts CDROM of Fish Disks was first announced, I
>asked the question:  has anybody succeeded in running the Canadian
>Prototype Replica CDROM-FS filesystem in a hardware configuration
>running the Supra Wordsync controller?
>
>Aside from a couple of "please post any reply" mail messages, nothing
>came back.  Now that the software and Fish CDROM have been out for a
>while, I'll ask again.  Has anyone with a Supra controller got a CDROM
>drive up and running?  If so, detailed information including mountlist
>and startup-sequence entries would be appreciated.

I don't know about the Canadian Prototype, but if the Supra Wordsync supports
SCSIDirect commands, then the driver from Xetec should work.  I spoke with
them a couple months ago to ask whether a Sony CDROM (the one being sold from
DAK) and my 2091 would work.. They said that they have a Sony driver that
should work with ANY HD controller that supports SCSIDirect.  According to
the people at DAK that drive they are selling (for the IBM) is a Sony SCSI,
so it should work.

Gee, doesn't DEC sell a CDROM drive for like $25,000 or so?  :-)

>--
>Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Maynard, Mass.
>plouff@kali.enet.dec.com
>
>Networking bibliography:  _Islands in the Net_, by Bruce Sterling
>			  _The Matrix_, by John S. Quarterman

--
Michael M Morrison              /|                             |\
mmm@reaper.chi.il.us <or>      | |     Cold Steel on Ice       | |