[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] HELP!

PROHVK32@TREARN.BITNET (Cem Turgay) (11/29/90)

Hello again,

Would you please explain to me, can I use every SCSI controller
with Amiga (500) ? (It's probably no). Which port of Amiga used
by the controllers ? Can you tell me cheap and fast controller
brands, models and price ($) which is you are using without problem
or you know well. I realy don't want to buy Commodore's A590.
There is a lot of SCSI controllers but all of them for PCs.
I have to ask brands and price because I'm not in USA but I think
to buy from the USA. Would you like to help to me please...

                                                    Cem Turgay

                                                PROHVK32@TREARN
                                                OEYO8729@TREARN

psherman@acsu.buffalo.edu (peter d sherman) (12/20/90)

	Hello everyone! Sorry to bother everyone out there this close to
Christmas, but I need to know the answer to this problem very quickly! You
see, I have A 1080 monitor which still works great (I bought it in 1986), but
I'm going to be putting together an IBM clone for my mother (she needs it for
all those IBM-businessy things) and I was wondering if the PC could use the
1080 as an EGA compatible monitor. If this is possible, then are there any
restrictions, such as having to use a 400 line EGA mode in interlace, or even
the 350 line mode? What can and can't be done? Also, what would the black
switch in the back be set to? TTL Pos, Neg, Analog RGB, ???
	And lastly, what would be a good EGA card to get if this works?

	Any E-mailed comments regarding this matter and would be welcomed and
greatly appreciated at the above address.

=//==================================//==============================//========
VX I-Net: psherman@acsu.buffalo.edu VX Standard disclaimer applies. VX A-3000!!

njg2@po.CWRU.Edu (J. Norell Guttman) (03/04/91)

Hi,
	I am a freshman at Case Western Reserve University.  I wish to expand
my A500 with a couple of megs of RAM.  The expansion port on the bottom already
has a A501 so I would like to have another 2 to 4 megs as cheaply and easily
as possible.  I have read about boards from Spirit Technologies, etc. that
hook right up to the motherboard.  Which one do you think is for me?  Where
is the cheapest mail order place?  Please email your responce to me--- I would
greatly appreciate it!!!!!!!!!

					J.Norell Guttman
			   Email Adress:njg2@po.cwru.edu

rudolpe@urubu.CS.ORST.EDU (RUDOLPh ERIC) (05/25/91)

HELP! I'm trying to do a little program in assembly that sets up a viewport and
displays it. However, I can't seem to restore the original Workbench display.
I know this:
I must call LoadView() while passing a pointer to the View Structure in a1.
However, I can't seem to find the original View Structure. My manual says to
find it in the offset ActiView in the GfxBase structure. My book says the
offset is 2. I don't believe it. It looks wrong, the the program immediately
Gurus, with no Guru number, because the display is frozen.

Anyone who could shed some light on this would have my infinite gratitude, and
many profuse thanks!

rudolpe@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

dvljrt@cs.umu.se (Joakim Rosqvist) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May24.212123.11386@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> rudolpe@urubu.CS.ORST.EDU (RUDOLPh ERIC) writes:
>HELP! I'm trying to do a little program in assembly that sets up a viewport and
>displays it. However, I can't seem to restore the original Workbench display.
>I know this:
>I must call LoadView() while passing a pointer to the View Structure in a1.
>However, I can't seem to find the original View Structure. My manual says to
>find it in the offset ActiView in the GfxBase structure. My book says the
>offset is 2. I don't believe it. It looks wrong, the the program immediately
>Gurus, with no Guru number, because the display is frozen.
>
>Anyone who could shed some light on this would have my infinite gratitude, and
>many profuse thanks!

There is a pointer to the original copperlist at displacement 38 in
the GfxBase structure.

/$DR.HEX$

Email to:  dvljrt@cs.umu.se
2 Windows on the screen?  Oh no, not me.  I just Logout & Go.

dix@clinet.fi (Risto Kaivola) (05/27/91)

rudolpe@urubu.CS.ORST.EDU (RUDOLPh ERIC) writes:

>HELP! I'm trying to do a little program in assembly that sets up a viewport and
>displays it. However, I can't seem to restore the original Workbench display.
>I know this:
>I must call LoadView() while passing a pointer to the View Structure in a1.
>However, I can't seem to find the original View Structure. My manual says to
>find it in the offset ActiView in the GfxBase structure. My book says the
>offset is 2. I don't believe it. It looks wrong, the the program immediately
>Gurus, with no Guru number, because the display is frozen.
According to "Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual: Includes & Autodocs
(revised and updated)", i.e., the book that contains listings of all the
standard include files provided by Commodore, struct GfxBase is as follows:
[p D-38]
struct GfxBase
{
  struct Library LibNode;
  struct View *ActiView;

That is, the pointer to the active view cannot be in the offset 2 for the
first *member* in the structure is a structure, the size of which is 34
bytes. The second element in GfxBase is a pointer to a View. In other
words, the view pointer is in the offset 34, calculated from the beginning
of the GfxBase structure. You seem to be using assembly language, and
this C'ish explanation is not perhaps a very clarifying one, but I hope
this helps.
  When I had a problem of the same sort, I solved it using either
RemakeDisplay() or WBenchToFron() [can't remember it off hand, sorry].
BTW, if you are programming the WB environment, I recommend using some
high-level language, like C or C++. It can save you a lot of hair :-).

--
Risto Kaivola (dix@clinet.fi) or (Risto.Kaivola@f123.n220.z2.FIDONET.ORG)

fjrei@kbsaar.UUCP (Franz-Josef Reichert) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May24.212123.11386@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> rudolpe@urubu.CS.ORST.EDU (RUDOLPh ERIC) writes:
>HELP! I'm trying to do a little program in assembly that sets up a viewport and
>displays it. However, I can't seem to restore the original Workbench display.
>I know this:
>I must call LoadView() while passing a pointer to the View Structure in a1.

Correct.

>However, I can't seem to find the original View Structure. My manual says to
>find it in the offset ActiView in the GfxBase structure. My book says the
>offset is 2. I don't believe it.

It's wrong. The offset is 34 ($22). ActiView is the second structure
member in GfxBase, though.

>It looks wrong, the the program immediately
>Gurus, with no Guru number, because the display is frozen.

Using an offset of 2, you are trying to LoadView() some data from the graphic's
library node. This must fail. :-)

--
Best regards,
Franz-Josef Reichert      VOICE: +49 6805 7417