[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] New video modes/ECS Denise

watters@favorite.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (05/27/91)

In article <21863@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

>	Of course.  The internal de-interlacer can't deal with more
>than ~700 pixels horizontal or ~500 vertical (NTSC).  The modes you tried
>were ~1280x400 and ~640x960.  The de-interlacer cuts out, so you get
>straight interlaced video to the monitor.  Interlaced video flickers.

This brings up a important issue I was wondering about.  I have a FFixer and
I was wondering how well it would work with 2.0 and the ECS Denise.  I went
to the local store and played with an A3000, and the best I could get out of
the VDE was 724x480.  This machine had an ECS Denise I assume, and I am
currently using a WB of 718x480 with the FFixer and no ECS Denise.  The
productivity mode of the ECS set could do 640x960 or something like that, but
it was only 4 colors and most monitors can't handle the 960 anyways. (With in
my price range.) The Super modes were sort of strange and most 1024x768
monitors I tried (yes they went down to 15kHz) didn't look very good running
at ~1200x200, and in the interlace mode you of course have the flicker.

The SuperHires seems like a nice mode to use for Video since you are
oversampling the horz., and still conforming to NTSC(~480 vert.) but there are
only 4 colors and even 16 colors sort of lacks for doing character generation
with the trend being towards fancy backdrops and gradiated chars.

Although I like the way the VDE doesn't buffer a non-interlace screen so
game objects don't blur, Is there _ANY_ important reason for me to get
a ECS Denise and/or a VDE.

Also, what was the idea behind the productivity mode?

Aside from any revalations, it seems that if you are Flicker Fixed, the two
new modes are not that important, and thus the ECS Denise is not that
important!?!

I think my point is that a lot of people seem to be rushing out to get CBM's
VDE and a new Denise, but I think the advantage you gain from the two (aside
from the removing of interlace flicker) is very specialized and minimal to the
average user.  As for the SuperHires and video, you would be stupid not to
get a toaster to do C.G. anyways since for $1400 you get a 24bit (21bit?) char.
generator at >~1000x480, plus the DVE effects and a 3d anim program to later
tap into.

Any imformation to the contrary would be appriciated.

Also, again, the A3000 I was using had the top scan line flicker bug/feature.
Is this still present in the VDE's A2320/A3000?

  ///\ _   '_/
\X//_/(/|//(/
--
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
 All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH

cython@ais.org (Tim Devlin) (05/28/91)

David Watters Writes:
.
>Also, what was the idea behind the productivity mode?
>
>Any imformation to the contrary would be appriciated

One use I have found for the productivity modes is in conjunction with the
A-Max-II.  It makes full use of the ESC and productivity modes letting you
set up a HUGE Mac screen, and due to the way the Mac interface works this
can be VERY useful.  The lack of colors is not a problem with a Mac SE screen.

Tim

--
  Internet:   Cython@irie.ais.org
  Compuserve: 76217,1372