[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] May I have my harddisk shut off while my computer is on?

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (05/23/91)

I've asked this question before, but got no reply:
May I use my computer, with the Impact Series II GVP 80 MB harddisk
still connected, but turned off?
The Fine Manual does not seem to mention this.
------------------
Note: I will NOT turn off the power supply to the harddisk, when it is
still inserted in the A-500, and the Amiga 500 is turned on.

I want, however, to
  Have the harddisk inserted in the A500, like it is supposed to be when
connected to the Amiga with power on.
1 Turn off the harddisk power supply.
2 Turn off the Amiga500 power supply.
3 Turn on the Amiga500 power supply.
4 But not turning on the harddisk power supply.
5 Use the Amiga.

The purpose of this would be to use the A500, without the harddisk turnedon,
so that the Amiga would act as if there was no harddisk in vicinity.
I would have complete silence around me - no whinning-spinning from the hard-
disk, no heat cooling proppeling fan making any wind sound.
-------------------
You may think that I'm explaining this in too much detail, as to make a joke
out of it. I do not want to make any joke out of it particularly. But I feared,
that people(YOU, in particular!) thought the previous posting was for fun.
Reply(Flame) via E-mail, as to keep the nuissance down to this article only.
Regarding the flames, I'll post a summary if anything interesting should turn up.
--
From the notorious
                      Jakob Gaardsted, Computer Science Department

brueni@csgrad.cs.vt.edu (05/23/91)

On a similar note:  I have an external hard drive attached to my GVP
Series II HC 8 controller on an A2000HD.  Upon initial power up, the
partitions on this disk are not recognized.  Understandable, since
they are on a separate power supply.  I have the computer andtthe external
hard drive on a common power switch and would prefer to be able to start
everything up with one switch.  Is there a way to:

   a)  Make the A2000 wait 10 seconds before starting autoconfig, while
       the external devices come up to speed?

   b)  or, Neatly have these partitions added after the startup sequence is
       over?

Here is what I am currently doing (god-aweful ugly, but works) as a work
around so my machine always boots automatically recognizing all scsi
devices.  I wrote a program called test-and-reset and added to to my
startup sequence.  This program searches the DOS device list for the volume
named as a command line argument.  If it finds it, then it does nothing
more.  If not, then we get ugly.  That is, pause for 10 seconds and then
assert a soft reset.  This is easier than doing the 3-fingered salute
myself.

Certainly there has to be a better way.

Thanks in advance,

--Dennis

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%-DOT-SIGNATURE-%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 Dennis Brueni				INTERNET:  brueni@csgrad.cs.vt.edu

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (05/24/91)

In article <1242@creatures.cs.vt.edu>,
brueni@csgrad.cs.vt.edu writes:

> b) or, Neatly have these partitions added after the
>    startup sequence is over?

With gvpscsi.device V3.8 or later:

GvpScsiCtrl -r (or GvpMount -r, depending on the version).

Ralph

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (05/28/91)

In article <19366554.ARN12b0@mimetz.UUCP>,
mimetz@mimetz.UUCP (Michael Metz) writes:

> using a _GVP Serien II_ controller in my _A2000C_ I do
                                           ^^^^^^^^
> have a problem with the _A 2630_ and a _Syquest_ removable
> media.

No such critter in existence.

> I don't like it too much.. any comment?

Sure!

Re-read that article you replied to: it says "3.8 or later".

Ralph

P.S.: Fix your Reply-To: line.

mimetz@mimetz.UUCP (Michael Metz) (05/29/91)

In article <08037.AA08037@babylon.rmt.sub.org>, Ralph Babel writes:

Hello Ralf,

  using a _GVP Serien II_ controller in my _A2000C_ I do have a problem with the
_A 2630_ and a _Syquest_ removable media.

The computer does not boot completely - the screen stays grey.
The syquest drive powers up but very often breaks down and the motor spins
down.. for several times - until the syquest gives up (after 5 retries).
Still the Amiga does not boot - I do have to reset the machine and it boots
correctly (sure after searching for 1 or 2 minutes for the syquest drive mounted
as SCSI-ID 0).

I don't like it too much.. any comment?

Bye

-Mike

PS: I'm still waiting for a copy of your book, I did order 8 month ago.
--
Michael Metz
CompuStore GmbH                     Fritz-Reuter-Str.6; D-6000 Frankfurt 1