[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] NEW Commodore Upgrade for A1000 Owners!

ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) (05/03/91)

I haven't seen any mention of this in any of the Amiga newsgroups,
so maybe you haven't heard the good news yet!  All you A1000 owners
can stop yer moanin' and groanin'. Commodore just announced a new
upgrade called the "Power Up Upgrade." What you do is take the
_original_ cover of your A1000 manual to your nearest dealer,
with the serial # handwritten on the back of the cover, and they
will sell you an A3000 for $1849! For this price you get the
A3000 (sans monitor) with a 16Mhz 68030 and a 50mb hard disk.
If you want to pay $2249 instead of $1849, you can get a faster
clock...but now I forgot how fast...25Mhz probably.

The funny thing is, you get to keep your A1000. They're not
even asking for it back and the original A1000 monitor you can
use on your A3000 so you don't need to buy another monitor.

I don't think I'll be buying that Rejuvenator board afterall.

/laura

ltaylor@ileaf.com

ckchee@dgp.toronto.edu (Chuan Chee) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.212838.1753@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
>I haven't seen any mention of this in any of the Amiga newsgroups,
>so maybe you haven't heard the good news yet!  All you A1000 owners
>can stop yer moanin' and groanin'. Commodore just announced a new
>upgrade called the "Power Up Upgrade." What you do is take the
>_original_ cover of your A1000 manual to your nearest dealer,
>with the serial # handwritten on the back of the cover, and they
>will sell you an A3000 for $1849! For this price you get the
>A3000 (sans monitor) with a 16Mhz 68030 and a 50mb hard disk.
>If you want to pay $2249 instead of $1849, you can get a faster
>clock...but now I forgot how fast...25Mhz probably.
>
>The funny thing is, you get to keep your A1000. They're not
>even asking for it back and the original A1000 monitor you can
>use on your A3000 so you don't need to buy another monitor.

Is this offer available in Canada?

hwr@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org (Heiko W.Rupp) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.233308.1391@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, Chuan Chee writes:

> In article <1991May2.212838.1753@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
> >I haven't seen any mention of this in any of the Amiga newsgroups,
> >so maybe you haven't heard the good news yet!  All you A1000 owners
> >can stop yer moanin' and groanin'. Commodore just announced a new
> >upgrade called the "Power Up Upgrade." What you do is take the
> >_original_ cover of your A1000 manual to your nearest dealer,
> >with the serial # handwritten on the back of the cover, and they
> >will sell you an A3000 for $1849! For this price you get the
> >A3000 (sans monitor) with a 16Mhz 68030 and a 50mb hard disk.
> >If you want to pay $2249 instead of $1849, you can get a faster
> >clock...but now I forgot how fast...25Mhz probably.
> >
> >The funny thing is, you get to keep your A1000. They're not
> >even asking for it back and the original A1000 monitor you can
> >use on your A3000 so you don't need to buy another monitor.
>
> Is this offer available in Canada?
Or in Germany ???
Gruesse
-Heiko

--
Heiko W.Rupp, Gerwigstr.5, D-7500 Karlsruhe 1   |   hwr@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org
Tel: +49 7021 693642  (voice only)              |   uk85@dkauni2.bitnet

clark@ssc-vax (Roger Clark Swann) (05/04/91)

Regarding the A3000 upgrade plan from C=, I have called around to
the local C= dealers in the Seattle area and the three that I talked
to say, "We don't carry the A3000 in the 16 MHz flavor." Other
comments included, "The 16MHz version is dead."

Is this generally the way it is everywhere? Am I forced to go with a
25Mhz box?

One other question; Are the floppies in the A3000 the high density
variety? I haven't talked to or read anything that comfirms this one
way or the other. Somehow I was thinking that C= had gone to a 1.44 MB
format on the A3000... Was I just dreaming?

    Roger Swann               |    uucp:  uw-beaver!ssc-vax!clark
         @                    |
The Boeing Company            |

dvljrt@cs.umu.se (Joakim Rosqvist) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May2.212838.1753@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
>I haven't seen any mention of this in any of the Amiga newsgroups,
>so maybe you haven't heard the good news yet!  All you A1000 owners
>can stop yer moanin' and groanin'. Commodore just announced a new
>upgrade called the "Power Up Upgrade." What you do is take the
>_original_ cover of your A1000 manual to your nearest dealer,
>with the serial # handwritten on the back of the cover, and they
>will sell you an A3000 for $1849! For this price you get the
>A3000 (sans monitor) with a 16Mhz 68030 and a 50mb hard disk.
>If you want to pay $2249 instead of $1849, you can get a faster
>clock...but now I forgot how fast...25Mhz probably.
>
>/laura

Does this offer apply to European users too?
/$DR.HEX$

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz (05/04/91)

In article <1991May2.212838.1753@HQ.Ileaf.COM>, ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
> I haven't seen any mention of this in any of the Amiga newsgroups,
> so maybe you haven't heard the good news yet!  All you A1000 owners
> can stop yer moanin' and groanin'. Commodore just announced a new
> upgrade called the "Power Up Upgrade." What you do is take the
> _original_ cover of your A1000 manual to your nearest dealer,
> with the serial # handwritten on the back of the cover, and they
> will sell you an A3000 for $1849! For this price you get the
> A3000 (sans monitor) with a 16Mhz 68030 and a 50mb hard disk.
> If you want to pay $2249 instead of $1849, you can get a faster
> clock...but now I forgot how fast...25Mhz probably.
>
> The funny thing is, you get to keep your A1000. They're not
> even asking for it back and the original A1000 monitor you can
> use on your A3000 so you don't need to buy another monitor.

Oh great. These guys buy a 1000 for $1500 5-6 years ago, and C= think they
owe then something. 2 years ago, they all swapped their keyboards for a 2000
and then bought the worlds supply of replacement 2000 keyboards, and now the
get to have a 3000 as well for next to nothing. Can't wait for the great
market in replacement manual covers!

Regards Alan

(it's a joke)

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May4.121030.7128@cs.umu.se> dvljrt@cs.umu.se (Joakim Rosqvist) writes:
>In article <1991May2.212838.1753@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
>>I haven't seen any mention of this in any of the Amiga newsgroups,
>>so maybe you haven't heard the good news yet!  All you A1000 owners
>>can stop yer moanin' and groanin'. Commodore just announced a new
>>upgrade called the "Power Up Upgrade." What you do is take the
>>_original_ cover of your A1000 manual to your nearest dealer,
>>with the serial # handwritten on the back of the cover, and they
>>will sell you an A3000 for $1849! For this price you get the
>>A3000 (sans monitor) with a 16Mhz 68030 and a 50mb hard disk.
>>If you want to pay $2249 instead of $1849, you can get a faster
>>clock...but now I forgot how fast...25Mhz probably.
>>
>>/laura
>
>Does this offer apply to European users too?
>/$DR.HEX$

I doubt it, and even if it did it would not apply to swedish users. We still
have to go to germany to get support :-(

/Jorgen
--
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se | DUMII: Sentinel of the scales
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.

jlille@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Jeff Lille) (05/06/91)

From article <1991May4.121030.7128@cs.umu.se>, by dvljrt@cs.umu.se (Joakim Rosqvist):

> Does this offer (Power UP Upgrade) apply to European users too?
> /$DR.HEX$

My guess is no.  European sales of amigas have been very good this year.
Sales in the United States have not been good.  Seems to me that this is CBM's
way of saying give up your old machines and BUY! BUY! BUY! (ok, so we don't
have to give up our old machines even!)  They are in it for the money after
all.

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May2.212838.1753@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
>I haven't seen any mention of this in any of the Amiga newsgroups,
>so maybe you haven't heard the good news yet!  All you A1000 owners
>can stop yer moanin' and groanin'. Commodore just announced a new
>upgrade called the "Power Up Upgrade." What you do is take the
>_original_ cover of your A1000 manual to your nearest dealer,
>with the serial # handwritten on the back of the cover, and they
>will sell you an A3000 for $1849! For this price you get the
>A3000 (sans monitor) with a 16Mhz 68030 and a 50mb hard disk.
>If you want to pay $2249 instead of $1849, you can get a faster
>clock...but now I forgot how fast...25Mhz probably.
>
>ltaylor@ileaf.com

	I've had my Amiga 1000 since 1985. I doubt that I still have the
manual cover. Is there an alternative? Howbout if I take the entire Amiga
in?

-jeff

kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) (05/08/91)

Those darn a**holes, I hate commodore forever now.
I saw the deal too, about the VIC 20, CBM 64, Amiga 1000/2000/3000
upgrade deal. Shoot, I bought my Amiga 3000 (16/50) after selling
my amiga 2000 off to some blood sucker. On student deal I got
the piece of sh*t. And that is exactly what it is, 2.0 is a gas,
only 10% of the software I have works with it. The acceleration
isn't all that noticeable (unless you use 2.0). The hard drive is alright,
and pretty fast but where the f*ck is that 68040 upgrade.
Fellow student deal buyers, Commodore is screwing us.
Screwing the general public too. The worse part about the deal (from
a once optimistic view-point now turned evil) is that you get to keep
your old computer. This is one outrageously funny deal, they are even
offering this crap to VIC 20 users. I wonder if the deal includes
the multi-scan (cost me 600 dollars). I'm buying a NeXT or IBM 486.
To hell with you Commodore. And I know your employees and lines are on these
networks. If I could sue you I would.

In article <1991May07.224440.2764@ariel.unm.edu> kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:
>Those darn a**holes, I hate commodore forever now.
>I saw the deal too, about the VIC 20, CBM 64, Amiga 1000/2000/3000
>upgrade deal. Shoot, I bought my Amiga 3000 (16/50) after selling
>my amiga 2000 off to some blood sucker. On student deal I got
>the piece of sh*t. And that is exactly what it is, 2.0 is a gas,
>only 10% of the software I have works with it. The acceleration
>isn't all that noticeable (unless you use 2.0). The hard drive is alright,
>and pretty fast but where the f*ck is that 68040 upgrade.
>Fellow student deal buyers, Commodore is screwing us.
>Screwing the general public too. The worse part about the deal (from
>a once optimistic view-point now turned evil) is that you get to keep
>your old computer. This is one outrageously funny deal, they are even
>offering this crap to VIC 20 users. I wonder if the deal includes
>the multi-scan (cost me 600 dollars). I'm buying a NeXT or IBM 486.
>To hell with you Commodore. And I know your employees and lines are on these
>networks. If I could sue you I would.

	Thanks for the insightful, vague commentary. Now,
everyone who agrees with Kiernan please follow up and let us
know? <I love the deafening silence 8>

	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (05/08/91)

[NASTYNESS about C= and screwing people deleted]

Do you bitch about Honda yelling left and right last year "we will never get
into the rebate game" and then first quarter '91 they started rebates?

It was purely a business decision on Commodore's part. Do you expect Chrysler
to give you the $1,500 year end rebate on a car you purchased in January?

It's a two way street with any product..You have to decide when its best to
buy, and when and if the deals are good enough for you...

You just can't expect someone to go and give you the same deal they are giving
someone else because you purchased it a month or two earlier. It's an evil
socilist though to think otherwise...If you can't make decisions and live
with them, them move to the Soviet Union where you can be next to brain dead
and make it through life, and never make a decision.

-Ron
--
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Homicidal Lunatic) (05/08/91)

10% of his software works with 2.0? he must have only Psygnosis games and some
really old ones at that. <or perhaps just games in general but SOTB doesnt work
on a 3000>

**********************************PiRho****************************************
"All power comes from the barrel of a gun"  //
sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu            \\ // Amiga makes it possible
                                         \X/

In article <D4RL21w161w@nstar.rn.com> tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) writes:
>kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:
>
>[ much cussin' and swearin' about the latest power upgrade offer]
>
>[ sheesh! This poor sap is Real Unhappy! He keeps goin' on . . .]
>
>[ more drivel and mental bilgewater about how the new deal screws students
>and the general public.]
>
>> the multi-scan (cost me 600 dollars). I'm buying a NeXT or IBM 486.
>> To hell with you Commodore. And I know your employees and lines are on these
>> networks. If I could sue you I would.
>
> And I hope that Jobs and Aikens never have the dirty low down no good
>onery cussedness to dare offer any one else a better price than they offered
>you :-) Life is fair right? Let everybody pay full price and be happy,
>right?
>
>Wake up and smell the decaf, Dude!

	I sure feel sorry for the last guy to buy an 030 NeXT
before they announced the CHEAPER 040 NeXT's! 8=)

>--
>Travis Bissett       NSTAR conferencing site       219-289-0287/317-251-7391
>internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines
>uucp: ..!uunet!nstar.rn.com!tbissett            99 file areas - 4300 megabytes
>---  backbone news & mail feeds available - contact larry@nstar.rn.com  ---

	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (05/08/91)

kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:

[ much cussin' and swearin' about the latest power upgrade offer]

[ sheesh! This poor sap is Real Unhappy! He keeps goin' on . . .]

[ more drivel and mental bilgewater about how the new deal screws students
and the general public.]

> the multi-scan (cost me 600 dollars). I'm buying a NeXT or IBM 486.
> To hell with you Commodore. And I know your employees and lines are on these
> networks. If I could sue you I would.

You lost all credibility with that last comment, Dude. Apparently you have
far more dollars than you have sense -- from the evidence in your posting
about your A2000 bad deal to get an A3000 at student discount. I almost had
some sympathy for you. Almost . . . afterall it may be annoying to find you
could have saved 50% instead of 30% by waiting a few more months. When did
oyu buy yours, last year? Never mind. Please don't waste the bandwidth to
reply. I don't really care.  But when you announced that you were going to
go buy a NeXT or an IBM 486 . . . well, you clearly have far too much cash
than is good for one fo your judgement. You deserve an IBM 486 AND a NeXT --
go get 'em both! I hope they make you very happy so that you can leave us
alone. And I hope that Jobs and Aikens never have the dirty low down no good

sck@watson.ibm.com (Scott C. Kennedy) (05/08/91)

In article <D4RL21w161w@nstar.rn.com>, tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) writes:
|> kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:
|>
|> [ much cussin' and swearin' about the latest power upgrade offer]
|>
|> [ sheesh! This poor sap is Real Unhappy! He keeps goin' on . . .]
|>
|> [ more drivel and mental bilgewater about how the new deal screws students
|> and the general public.]
|>
|> > the multi-scan (cost me 600 dollars). I'm buying a NeXT or IBM 486.
|> > To hell with you Commodore. And I know your employees and lines are on these
|> > networks. If I could sue you I would.
|>
|> You lost all credibility with that last comment, Dude. Apparently you have
|> far more dollars than you have sense -- from the evidence in your posting
|> about your A2000 bad deal to get an A3000 at student discount. I almost had
|> some sympathy for you. Almost . . . afterall it may be annoying to find you
|> could have saved 50% instead of 30% by waiting a few more months. When did
|> oyu buy yours, last year?
|> go buy a NeXT or an IBM 486 . . . well, you clearly have far too much cash

   He won't be happy with IBM either, we just lowered prices on our Risc SYstem
6000 by 60% and we are reducing prices on our PS/2s. Maybe if Commodore raised
their prices, he would be happier. :)

Scott C. Kennedy (sck@watson.ibm.com)     | "All we are saying ...
Distributed High Performance Computing    |  is give peace a chance..."
I.B.M. Thomas J. Watson Research Facility | John Lennon - Dec. 8, 1980

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.170158.10700@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> jdickson@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:
>In article <1991May2.212838.1753@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
>>I haven't seen any mention of this in any of the Amiga newsgroups,
>>so maybe you haven't heard the good news yet!  All you A1000 owners
>>can stop yer moanin' and groanin'. Commodore just announced a new
>>upgrade called the "Power Up Upgrade." What you do is take the
>>_original_ cover of your A1000 manual to your nearest dealer,
>>with the serial # handwritten on the back of the cover, and they
>>will sell you an A3000 for $1849! For this price you get the
>>A3000 (sans monitor) with a 16Mhz 68030 and a 50mb hard disk.
>>If you want to pay $2249 instead of $1849, you can get a faster
>>clock...but now I forgot how fast...25Mhz probably.
>>
>>ltaylor@ileaf.com
>
>	I've had my Amiga 1000 since 1985. I doubt that I still have the
>manual cover. Is there an alternative? Howbout if I take the entire Amiga
>in?
>
>-jeff

  I know of Amiga 1000 owners who lost their computers in the first trade up
offer. Apparantly some dealers were taking the entire a1000, or just the
motherboards, or just the keyboards. Maybe now Commodore should have an
a1000 BuyBackYourMotherboard offer. :)

--
           David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
   "If you think that we're here for the money, we could live without it.

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.144221.4255@watson.ibm.com> sck@biko.watson.ibm.com (Scott C. Kennedy) writes:
>   He won't be happy with IBM either, we just lowered prices on our Risc SYstem
>6000 by 60% and we are reducing prices on our PS/2s.  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hmmm, I wonder what on earth prompted you to do that? :-) :-)

--
"The goons are riding motorcycles, but WE'VE  | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
 got a whole big metal car! This will be like |       Hewlett-Packard

kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (05/09/91)

In article <1991May07.224440.2764@ariel.unm.edu>, kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:
> Those darn a**holes, I hate commodore forever now.

[delete several lines of heck darn shucks stuff.]

> To hell with you Commodore. And I know your employees and lines are on these
> networks. If I could sue you I would

All because you didn't get to get the power up deal?   Actuall the educational
deal is about 200 dollars more than the power up.  this angry over 200 bucks?

--

Mike Kent -  	Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Company at NASA JSC
		2400 NASA Rd One, Houston, TX 77058 (713) 483-3791

mjw@sequent.com (05/09/91)

I bought a A1000 used from a dealer from the first time Amiga owners
traded up there machines.  My machine has been used to trade up before
but I was not the one getting the trade in deal, can I make the trade
with this machine?

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (05/09/91)

As quoted from <1991May07.224440.2764@ariel.unm.edu> by kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland):
+---------------
| the multi-scan (cost me 600 dollars). I'm buying a NeXT or IBM 486.
| To hell with you Commodore. And I know your employees and lines are on these
| networks. If I could sue you I would.
+---------------

If you think C= screwed you, wait until you see what IBM will do to you.  Or
Apple.  Or, most likely, NeXT (how expandable is the "slab"?).

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA  10m,6m,2m,220,440,1.2
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		       (restricted HF at present)

kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) (05/09/91)

Its not a last year buy, it was done in april of this year.
After the student deal change at the beginning of april.
If it was last year, I wouldn't be yelling. Most of you probably
bought yours last year, nice, now all you have to do
is upgrade the unifinished system with better chips.
The first OS 2.0 stuff was sooo buggy last year that
nobody wanted to deal with it. (none of my music software
would work with it).

 P.S. - Tiger Cub and TAD will not work with my 3000 altogether.

In article <1991May08.221108.29614@ariel.unm.edu> kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:
>Its not a last year buy, it was done in april of this year.
>After the student deal change at the beginning of april.
>If it was last year, I wouldn't be yelling. Most of you probably
>bought yours last year, nice, now all you have to do
>is upgrade the unifinished system with better chips.
>The first OS 2.0 stuff was sooo buggy last year that
>nobody wanted to deal with it. (none of my music software
>would work with it).
>
> P.S. - Tiger Cub and TAD will not work with my 3000 altogether.

	Have you called the makers of the programs, asked about
an upgrade? Are you sure you have the latest version? Maybe there
is a workaround? But you'll never know unless you call up.
	What should Commodore have done, made an announcement 3
months in advance that they'd be having a discount program now? I
don't think IBM gave any of their customers notice when they just
lowered their prices. Same with everyone else.
	You can go to your dealer and get 2.03 for free, which
has a few fewer bugs than 2.02. Though 2.02 is very solid and
most problems are the program's faults. And when 2.0 does finally
come out in ROM, be rest assured you'll get a free upgrade.
	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) (05/10/91)

clark@ssc-vax (Roger Clark Swann) writes:

> One other question; Are the floppies in the A3000 the high density
> variety? I haven't talked to or read anything that comfirms this one
> way or the other. Somehow I was thinking that C= had gone to a 1.44 MB
> format on the A3000... Was I just dreaming?

        No, they haven't YET, but they will be in the near future! We
hope! They're NECESARRY for unix, and, besides, they let you read MAC and
IBM 1.44 meg disks, unlike the AE HD drive.
                        MoonHawk

P.s. I do reccomend you get the 25Mhz, if just to keep your dealers happy!

 This is from
     moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp
     moonhawk%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

c8927218@wombat.newcastle.edu.au (05/13/91)

In article <1991May8.012740.26800@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Homicidal Lunatic) writes:

> 10% of his software works with 2.0? he must have only Psygnosis games and some
> really old ones at that. <or perhaps just games in general but SOTB doesnt work
> on a 3000>

Who buys a 3000 for games ???

I haven't found a utility that won't run on the 3000 yet (SA4D requires 1.3)
, although heaps of games don't work...but who cares ?

Robert.

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May13.172116.1@wombat.newcastle.edu.au> c8927218@wombat.newcastle.edu.au writes:
>In article <1991May8.012740.26800@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Homicidal Lunatic) writes:
>>

>> 10% of his software works with 2.0? he must have only Psygnosis games and some
>> really old ones at that. <or perhaps just games in general but SOTB doesnt work
>> on a 3000>
>>

>Who buys a 3000 for games ???

Well, how about to develop games.... :)

>Robert.

Joe Peck
peck@ral.rpi.edu

In article <a-.h94k@rpi.edu> peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) writes:
>In article <1991May13.172116.1@wombat.newcastle.edu.au> c8927218@wombat.newcastle.edu.au writes:
>>In article <1991May8.012740.26800@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Homicidal Lunatic) writes:

>>> 10% of his software works with 2.0? he must have only Psygnosis games and some
>>> really old ones at that. <or perhaps just games in general but SOTB doesnt work
>>> on a 3000>

>>Who buys a 3000 for games ???

>Well, how about to develop games.... :)

No problem there, since you won't be doing the evil things that break these
old games, out of necessity.  There's no reason any properly written Amiga
program should have trouble on the A3000.  Imagine if every game were developed
on an A3000 and play tested (for compatibility and speed reasons) on a plain,
512K A500.

As for compatibility in general, the software people seem to be proving that
compatibility under 2.0N increases dramatically as "N" increases.  Software
bugs, rather than compatibility issues, that cause things to break on the 3000
need to be fixed -- no amount of heavy magic can repair a program that's
just plain buggy.

>>Robert.
>Joe Peck

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) (05/14/91)

In article <21521@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <a-.h94k@rpi.edu> peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) writes:

>>>Who buys a 3000 for games ???
>
>>Well, how about to develop games.... :)
>
>No problem there, since you won't be doing the evil things that break these
>old games, out of necessity.  There's no reason any properly written Amiga
>program should have trouble on the A3000.  Imagine if every game were developed
>on an A3000 and play tested (for compatibility and speed reasons) on a plain,
>512K A500.

Close, but I can go one further.  The testing is being done on an A1000. :)
(Actually, I don't have the A3000 yet, that is what I hope to buy with
royalty money from a game that I just finished.  Now all I need is a
willing publisher.... time to cross my fingers! :)

Oh yeah, I did test it on two A3000's, and everything worked A-OK the
first try..... (Well, except for some sprites dying from overscan....:)

>>>Robert.
>>Joe Peck
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"

Joe again....
peck@ral.rpi.edu

dave@unislc.uucp (Dave Martin) (05/15/91)

From article <1991May07.224440.2764@ariel.unm.edu>, by kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland):
> upgrade deal. Shoot, I bought my Amiga 3000 (16/50) after selling
> my amiga 2000 off to some blood sucker. On student deal I got

  Well, I bought mine on the student deal, and when the power-up deal came
  along, I compared prices.  I payed less on the student deal for my setup
  than I would have on the power-up deal.  (A3000/25/50 1950 monitor)

> the piece of sh*t. And that is exactly what it is, 2.0 is a gas,
> only 10% of the software I have works with it.

  Only 10% of the software I have won't work with it.  Of course I don't
  use my 3000 as a game machine, and most non-game software seems to work
  just fine on it (and the little I have that doesn't has upgrades on
  the way).  Now, of course I play games too, but if I only wanted to play
  games I probably would have went A500.  What software of yours doesn't
  work?

> The acceleration
> isn't all that noticeable (unless you use 2.0). The hard drive is alright,
> and pretty fast but where the f*ck is that 68040 upgrade.

  Sounds like you want a Cray for five bucks.
  The acceleration will be very noticable (in productivity (read non-games)
  software) if you have more than two megs, so that the code will be
  executing from FAST memory instead of CHIP memory (fast mem on the 3000
  can result in a 6 times speed improvement over chip mem).

> Fellow student deal buyers, Commodore is screwing us.
> Screwing the general public too. The worse part about the deal (from
> a once optimistic view-point now turned evil) is that you get to keep
> your old computer. This is one outrageously funny deal, they are even
> offering this crap to VIC 20 users. I wonder if the deal includes
> the multi-scan (cost me 600 dollars).

  As I said above, when I bought mine, the student deal was (and maybe
  still is) a better deal than power-up.  I don't think power-up includes
  the monitor.  The student deal did for me.

> I'm buying a NeXT or IBM 486.
> To hell with you Commodore. And I know your employees and lines are on these
> networks. If I could sue you I would.

  I have a friend that payed $6000 dollars for an 8mhz IBM AT when it came
  out.  I guess he should sue IBM now.

  NeXT has a 68040 machine out now because they were willing to sell
  machines with a beta version of the 68040 to customers, and make all
  kinds of interesting workarounds in the O.S. to get around bugs in the
  chip.

  What application do you have that requires so much acceleration and yet
  won't work with 2.0?  Most applications that are this intensive were
  written with accelerated amigas in mind, and will generally also work
  fine under 2.0  (You can always boot under 1.3 if it doesn't).

  Go ahead get a NeXT cube, add a next dimension board and enough hard disk
  to hold it all.  This is not an inexpensive system at this point, even at
  student prices.  I do hope you don't start whining when the software
  prices are a minimum of 50 dollars higher just for the distribution
  media.  I'd like to know what the equivalent to Imagine costs on the next,
  even if it exists.  I know that the LOW COST ray tracers for the IBM and
  clones start at $3000!  Take a look at the latest byte (or maybe last
  months) low cost 3-D comes to the PC article.

Sorry to ramble on and take up bandwidth, but sometimes I just can't keep my
hands off of a posting like this.
--
VAX Headroom	Speaking for myself only... blah blah blahblah blah...
Internet: DMARTIN@CC.WEBER.EDU                 dave@saltlcy-unisys.army.mil

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Homicidal Lunatic) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May13.172116.1@wombat.newcastle.edu.au> c8927218@wombat.newcastle.edu.au writes:
>In article <1991May8.012740.26800@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Homicidal Lunatic) writes:
>>

>> 10% of his software works with 2.0? he must have only Psygnosis games and some
>> really old ones at that. <or perhaps just games in general but SOTB doesnt work
>> on a 3000>
>>

>Who buys a 3000 for games ???
>
>I haven't found a utility that won't run on the 3000 yet (SA4D requires 1.3)
>, although heaps of games don't work...but who cares ?
>
>Robert.

What I was saying was in response to someone who said only 10% of their soft-
ware worked on their A3000 <it wasnt clear if it was under 2.0 or not> and
since I know most non-games programs work fine on the 3000, i merely assumed
this person had an abundance of games esp. older psygnosis ones.

judd@wilkinson.Colorado.EDU (Mr. Integral) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May7.232954.3789@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991May07.224440.2764@ariel.unm.edu> kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:
>>Those darn a**holes, I hate commodore forever now.
>>I saw the deal too, about the VIC 20, CBM 64, Amiga 1000/2000/3000
>>upgrade deal. Shoot, I bought my Amiga 3000 (16/50) after selling
>>my amiga 2000 off to some blood sucker. On student deal I got
>>the piece of sh*t. And that is exactly what it is, 2.0 is a gas,
>>only 10% of the software I have works with it. The acceleration
>>isn't all that noticeable (unless you use 2.0). The hard drive is alright,
>>and pretty fast but where the f*ck is that 68040 upgrade.
>>Fellow student deal buyers, Commodore is screwing us.
>>Screwing the general public too. The worse part about the deal (from
>>a once optimistic view-point now turned evil) is that you get to keep
>>your old computer. This is one outrageously funny deal, they are even
>>offering this crap to VIC 20 users. I wonder if the deal includes
>>the multi-scan (cost me 600 dollars). I'm buying a NeXT or IBM 486.
>>To hell with you Commodore. And I know your employees and lines are on these
>>networks. If I could sue you I would.
>

>	Thanks for the insightful, vague commentary. Now,
>everyone who agrees with Kiernan please follow up and let us
>know? <I love the deafening silence 8>
>
>	-- Ethan
>
>"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"
	Ladies, Gentlemen, meet the next Marc Barret for the csa heirarchy.
I have had dealings with Kiernan through various local bulletin boards.
Didn't you even get most of your posting privileged revoked, Kiernan?
Anyways, Kiernan, I suggest VERY strongly that you find, read, and memorize
the Netiquette  document.  Repeat some of your past performances around here
and you will most likely find yourself losing many priveleges, if not your
account.
	I take back my first statement.  Marc was only inquisitively naive,
not violently rude.
					-Steve
--
judd@sgt-york.lanl.gov   //
                       \X/

In article <1991May8.163106.25609@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>  I know of Amiga 1000 owners who lost their computers in the first trade up
>offer. Apparantly some dealers were taking the entire a1000, or just the
>motherboards, or just the keyboards. Maybe now Commodore should have an
>a1000 BuyBackYourMotherboard offer. :)

	The original deal was that the dealer took the machine, though
many dealers would sell them back to you for a few hundred dollars.  A later
trade-in deal was for the keyboards.

--
Randell Jesup, Jack-of-quite-a-few-trades, Commodore Engineering.
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.

In article <1991May13.172116.1@wombat.newcastle.edu.au> c8927218@wombat.newcastle.edu.au writes:
>Who buys a 3000 for games ???

	I do (well, use it).  Indy 500 on a 3000 is _great_ (IMHO).

>I haven't found a utility that won't run on the 3000 yet (SA4D requires 1.3)
>, although heaps of games don't work...but who cares ?

	SA4d and SA4djr both will be functional in the next 2.0 release
(their bug was kludged around as of beta 37.86 or so).

	In earlier 2.0 releases (2.00-2.03), a fair percentage of games didn't
run.  A few careful kludges and a LARGE percentage run under 2.0.  Those
that don't work with '030's are no better than before, of course.

--

mmm@reaper.Chi.IL.US (Michael Marvin Morrison) (05/25/91)

In article <21865@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <1991May13.172116.1@wombat.newcastle.edu.au> c8927218@wombat.newcastle.edu.au writes:
>>Who buys a 3000 for games ???
>
>	I do (well, use it).  Indy 500 on a 3000 is _great_ (IMHO).
>
>>I haven't found a utility that won't run on the 3000 yet (SA4D requires 1.3)
>>, although heaps of games don't work...but who cares ?
>
>	SA4d and SA4djr both will be functional in the next 2.0 release
>(their bug was kludged around as of beta 37.86 or so).

I have a dumb question.. If the software doesn't run because of a bug in it,
then why is Commodore 'kludging' the ROMS?  Agreed that it is a DAMN big
inconvience to obtain an upgrade (both from user & vendor standpoint) but
if C= knows what the bug was then why not just report it to the company and
have them fix it.  Now if said bug was in 2.0 then a FIX is in order, not
a kludge (obviously).  Too many kludges spoil the ROMS.  IMHO.
I simply can't imagine a company not willing to fix a piece of productivity
software because it doesn't run under the new OS, especially if the problem
was THEIR fault in the first place.  Maybe if Commodore didn't have to
debug other peoples code, 2.0 would have been out by now.  Again IMHO.  And
again assuming that it wasn't a prob with 2.0.

>	In earlier 2.0 releases (2.00-2.03), a fair percentage of games didn't
>run.  A few careful kludges and a LARGE percentage run under 2.0.  Those
>that don't work with '030's are no better than before, of course.

Hopefully these kludges don't effect the speed of the new OS, as that should
not be comprmised.  Actually, I am interested in knowing what some of these
people did.  They must have been jumping directly into the ROMS at some point,
for disk access?, to snag some known code?

Sorry to come down like this, but it has been burning me for some time now.
What debugging tool does C= use to find out all of these goodies?

>--
>Randell Jesup, Jack-of-quite-a-few-trades, Commodore Engineering.
>{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
>Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
>"No matter where you go, there you are."  - Buckaroo Banzai

--
Michael M Morrison              /|                            |\
mmm@reaper.chi.il.us <or>      | |     Cold Steel on Ice      | |

In article <mmm.1495@reaper.Chi.IL.US> mmm@reaper.Chi.IL.US (Michael Marvin Morrison) writes:
>In article <21865@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>>	SA4d and SA4djr both will be functional in the next 2.0 release
>>(their bug was kludged around as of beta 37.86 or so).
>
>I have a dumb question.. If the software doesn't run because of a bug in it,
>then why is Commodore 'kludging' the ROMS?

>if C= knows what the bug was then why not just report it to the company and
>have them fix it.

	We do when possible.  Some no longer are updating/supporting their
products, some are out of business, some are busy with other projects, and
some aren't interested in the hassle of upgrades (especially for games).
Some, on the other hand, have even argued against us kludging a fix for
their program (these tend to be companies with good update policies to
begin with).

>I simply can't imagine a company not willing to fix a piece of productivity
>software because it doesn't run under the new OS, especially if the problem
>was THEIR fault in the first place.

	Stretch and you'll manage it.  Seriously, we looked at the work
required to do the kludge, the risk (both of introducing a bug and in
changing behavior causing someone else to break), and the number of people
and programs that would be affected by the kludge.

>  Maybe if Commodore didn't have to
>debug other peoples code, 2.0 would have been out by now.  Again IMHO.  And
>again assuming that it wasn't a prob with 2.0.

	It wasn't a rom bug.  And you're right, 2.0 would have been out sooner
(we added several months of compatibility work at the very end) if we hadn't
done this.  Overall, it was probably a win, though a few of the high-return
kludges (like Jumpy the Magic Timer Device) were rather mind-warping.  During
this phase we did do some important work, like greatly improving the handling
of Midi baud rates by minimizing Disables and level 6 interrupts.  Midi is
very close to the best possible on the current hardware implementation now.

	Note that the kludges are all documented in a file, which we will use
in examining whether they should be removed if they get in the way of future
versions of the OS.  We won't remove them just for the sake of it, but they
may be removed.

>Hopefully these kludges don't effect the speed of the new OS, as that should
>not be comprmised.

	Most don't.  A couple do, though usually in quite minor ways.

>  Actually, I am interested in knowing what some of these
>people did.  They must have been jumping directly into the ROMS at some point,
>for disk access?, to snag some known code?

	The majority were things like depending on a register being preserved
when they shouldn't (remember this, asm programmers!), using the wrong type
of flag in a structure (like ACTIVEWINDOW vs. WINDOWACTIVATE, which is why
many of the flags have been renamed for 2.0 to include a prefix), stealing
bitplane pointer from workbench, grabbing timers without allocating them,
and/or assuming the modes they're set up in, etc.  The only ROM-jumpers that
were fixed were those that jumped to the reset vector at the start of the
ROM in order to reset the machine (you MUST go to ROM code, since ram
disappears on RESET, and the address of the start of the ROM changed).

>Sorry to come down like this, but it has been burning me for some time now.
>What debugging tool does C= use to find out all of these goodies?

	680x0 analyzers are our friends.  (Plus enforcer/mungwall/billboards/
etc.)

--

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (05/26/91)

In article <21931@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <mmm.1495@reaper.Chi.IL.US> mmm@reaper.Chi.IL.US (Michael Marvin Morrison) writes:
>>In article <21865@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>>if C= knows what the bug was then why not just report it to the company and
>>have them fix it.
>
>	We do when possible.  Some no longer are updating/supporting their
>products, some are out of business, some are busy with other projects, and
>some aren't interested in the hassle of upgrades (especially for games).
>Some, on the other hand, have even argued against us kludging a fix for
>their program (these tend to be companies with good update policies to
>begin with).
>
>>I simply can't imagine a company not willing to fix a piece of productivity
>>software because it doesn't run under the new OS, especially if the problem
>>was THEIR fault in the first place.
>
>	Stretch and you'll manage it.

     After a couple of good stretches, I can imagine a reason or two why they
wouldn't want to mess around with upgrades.  It just seems to me that, for
the most part, many fixes would be rather minor changes.  Then, having made
the change in the executable, you advertise and release a "software upgrade".
Isn't this the main source of revenue for some companies anyway, software
maintainence?
			--George
>--
>Randell Jesup, Jack-of-quite-a-few-trades, Commodore Engineering.
>{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
>Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
>"No matter where you go, there you are."  - Buckaroo Banzai
--
George L. Skank			|Fast cars, fast women, fast computers...   ///
Senior, Electrical Engineering	|Amiga!					   ///

bruneau@bmerh540.BNR.CA (Glenn Bruneau) (05/28/91)

Has anyone out there from Canada gone down and bought their machine
South of the
border? I know this sounds unpatriotic and all that but it seems that
the actual
discounts offered in the states are better than what we are offered here in
Canada. It seems to me that I could pick up an A3000 for the price of an
A2000HD
here. Am I suffering from a case of The-Grass-Is-Always-Greener... or is there
some validity to this observation?

If the grass is truely that much greener, I may be looking for a good shop just
the other side of the border. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May27.222428.26375@bigsur.uucp> bruneau@bmerh540.BNR.CA writes:
>Has anyone out there from Canada gone down and bought their machine
>South of the
>border? I know this sounds unpatriotic and all that but it seems that
>the actual
>discounts offered in the states are better than what we are offered here in
>Canada. It seems to me that I could pick up an A3000 for the price of an
>A2000HD
>here. Am I suffering from a case of The-Grass-Is-Always-Greener... or is there
>some validity to this observation?
>
>If the grass is truely that much greener, I may be looking for a good shop just
>the other side of the border. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

 I wonder if the 'grass is truely greener' on the other side. I'd like
to hear from people both in Canada and the US on pricing for an Amiga 3000
and 2000HD. I will assume that the US prices are in US dollars and the
Canadian prices in Canadian dollars.

 Can you get an Amiga 3000 mail-order?

| Darrell Grainger (darrell@comspec) |Comspec Communications Inc.    |
| Toronto, Ontario, Canada           |Disclaimer: My opinions do not |
|  (416)617-1475     (416)633-5605   |reflect those of my employer.  |
|------------------------------------+-------------------------------|
|      Motorcycle: Honda PC800       |      Computer:Amiga 2000      |

mascot@bnr.ca (Scott Mason) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.132246.916@comspec.uucp> darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) writes:
>In article <1991May27.222428.26375@bigsur.uucp> bruneau@bmerh540.BNR.CA writes:
>>Has anyone out there from Canada gone down and bought their machine
>>South of the
>>border?
>
> I'd like
>to hear from people both in Canada and the US on pricing for an Amiga 3000
>and 2000HD.

In Canada, the equivalent program to the Power-up program applies
to all Amiga CPUs and is just ending. The prices are (were):

A500:                           CAN$ 475   (Retail CAN$ 495)
A500 Starter Kit (inc. games):       505
A500 Deluxe (1M, some SW):           605
A2000HD/ 50:                        1795               2295
A3000/16/50:                        2995

Note: this discussion belongs in .marketplace, of course

Scott
--

mascot@bnr.ca (Scott Mason) (05/30/91)

>In article <1991May29.132246.916@comspec.uucp> darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) writes:
>>to hear from people both in Canada and the US on pricing for an Amiga 3000
>>and 2000HD.

It's no fun printing a retraction the next day :-(. In a previous reply,
I posted Canadian "Trade up Without Trading In" (not as catchy, eh?)
prices. However two mistakes seem to have creeped in. Firstly, the retail
price quoted does not appear to reflect Canadian list price, but rather
my local dealer's pricing policy. Secondly, my dealer appears to have
quoted me an older promotional price for the A3000. The Trade Up ...
offer is valid until June 30. The corrected prices are:

Amiga System                  Sale Price            Savings
Amiga 500                       $ 475                $ 164
A500 Starter Kit                  505                  194
A500 Deluxe Kit                   605                  294
A2000HD                          1795                  664
A3000-16/50                      2595                 1244
A3000-25/50                      3195                 1700
A3000-25/100                     4050                 1670

All prices in Canadian dollars.

Scott