[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Cheap Harddrive for A1000

6600wood@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Joseph Wood) (05/30/91)

I am a poor 1000 owner that wants to do something with his 1000
up till he can afford the 3000 or beyond.  I would like to get
a small hard drive.  Cheap is the word.  Can anyone suggest
anything.  Is it possible to just buy a SCSI drive from some
place like computer shoppers guide and then buy things like
a controller, case, and power supply seperately?

Thankyou.

bpv9073@sjfc.UUCP (Brett VanSprewenburg) (05/31/91)

In article <11674@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600wood@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Joseph Wood) writes:
>I am a poor 1000 owner that wants to do something with his 1000
>up till he can afford the 3000 or beyond.  I would like to get
>a small hard drive.  Cheap is the word.  Can anyone suggest
>anything.  Is it possible to just buy a SCSI drive from some
>place like computer shoppers guide and then buy things like
>a controller, case, and power supply seperately?

Think about the Xetec SCSI controller specifically made for the A1000. They
make versions for the A500 and A2000 as well. I have the A500 one with the
optional memory board. Just the SCSI controller with FastRam slot for
Xetec's memory board, runs $165-$175 direct from the company. The
unpopulated memory board is $75. The conroller has everything except drive and
case for the the drive, ie comes with cable & 25to50 pin converter only.
I got a used hard drive case for $20 with space for 2 half height drives
and 60 watt power supply. I bought a Quantum 40 ProDrive over the net
for $220 about 6 months ago. Some are cheaper now. OH, the optional
memory board supports a variety of configurations: 512k, 1meg, 2meg, 4meg,
or 8meg all with various SIMM sizes.

Essentially, I did the same thing you did for the same reasons. The Xetec
is quality piece of equipment, fast and versitile. Tech support is very
helpful. IMHO, I suggest it. If you need more information or anything,
email me.

==Brett