[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000,is it really worth it?

mlaidlaw@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Mike Laidlaw) (05/22/91)

After reading all the reports about the A3000,I was initially really
impressed and wanted to rush out and buy one.Now that I have read in this
newsgroup about all the bugs and problems with the system I put forward this
question: Is it really worth all the trouble to upgrade to an A3000?

If the answer is yes,then why?

If the answer is no,then how come so many people are rushing out to buy it?

Thanks in advance,

Myron :^)

gt1619a@prism.gatech.EDU (James is just this guy, you know...) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May22.101716.10467@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA> mlaidlaw@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Mike Laidlaw) writes:
>After reading all the reports about the A3000,I was initially really
>impressed and wanted to rush out and buy one.Now that I have read in this
>newsgroup about all the bugs and problems with the system I put forward this
>question: Is it really worth all the trouble to upgrade to an A3000?
>
>If the answer is yes,then why?
>
>If the answer is no,then how come so many people are rushing out to buy it?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Myron :^)

I'd say it depends what you want to do with it, but yes, upgrade. The machine's
very fast and as of yet I have yet to find a bug with it (other than I have
about four games that require me to boot under 1.3 rather than 2.0, but that's
more annoying than anything else).

SuperBase Pro 4 is the only program which doesnt seem to work correctly. Some
games tend to run really fast, but that would happen on a 2500 too. The
graphics enhancer works great, and the machine will be phenomenal with an
'040 in it (I'm saving my pennies right now). All of my old hardware works
great, and I can honestly say I'm impressed with the machine.

Alex_Topic@resbbs.UUCP (Alex Topic) (05/26/91)

  Well the A3000 looks real perfect for doing business work, ect.. Also the
new A3000UX looks like something to get, since it can outpreform most micros,
and it has a faster bus than the NeXt...    But there is afew things I hate
about it.
        Namely!   The CUSTOM chips!!!     They should of been totally revised
and able to be backward compatible. Like Super Denise Should of at least have
256 colors in both hi'rez and low'rez! More less be totally vga! Also the
sound could of been upgraded, but I think 8-bit is good enough.
       But the Agnus should of totally been modified!  Like have triple
playfield mode, instead of dual playfield! Also have a faster blitter(32bit!)
maybe have multi-channel blitter, for even faster access! Have maybe 16
sprites per scan line! Have a more powerful copper perhaps!..      Now this
machine would then be thee best micro for sure! I would then get it over
anything else. Right now I'm waiting and hopeing CBM comes out with more
powerful custom chips. That's the one the main reasons I have an Amiga, is
mainly cuz of the custom chips. I mean if it didn't have it I would just goto
the IBM!
         I think the CDTV should of atleast have more power than the regular
A500, and commodore should maybe have a kit or something that gives you
totally ne chip set.   Maybe a bit faster blitter and 8-bit color atleast,
and maybe bigger pallete!..ect!      And lots of software should be made in
it, now you would see good stuff then, and possible Workbench would be as
pretty as Windows.
     Oh well CBM better do something fast or things are just going to die!
the biggest mistake they did is not have 256 colors atleast in low'rez! And
that has made most people choose the IBM over it!
      C'ya all around!
 A.t.
 """"

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) (05/26/91)

In article <Alex_Topic.3584@resbbs.UUCP> Alex_Topic@resbbs.UUCP (Alex Topic) writes:

>   Well the A3000 looks real perfect for doing business work, ect.. Also the
> new A3000UX looks like something to get, since it can outpreform most micros,

All micros.

> and it has a faster bus than the NeXt...    But there is afew things I hate

Much faster.

> about it.
>         Namely!   The CUSTOM chips!!!     They should of been totally revised
> [Basically, add more colors, faster blitter, more copper features, triple
> playfield.  Do it now or C-A will go out of business!!!]

Let me summarize ALL the posts that are going to be written in
response to your question.

Blah blah blah.  Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.  [Drink from
soda.]  Blah blah blah blah.  Blah blah.  Blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah.  [Look up to see what just happened on TV.]  Blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah.  Blah blah.  Blah blah blah.

This has been discussed 100 times.  Every time someone new joins the
net they do a post like this.  C-A knows that this is what the users
want.  Some things just aren't very possible right now.  New chips
aren't designed overnight.  C-A is working on a solution, but just
like every company they're not going to announce it until it's near
the release date.  No, they aren't going to drop hints on a forum like
this.  C-A is not going out of business because those features are
lacking.  Anyone making money from video with an Amiga uses one or
more of the MANY third-party options.  The people that post these
requests do not realize that the resulting system will cost a *lot* of
money because those features don't come cheap.  The people that post
these requests will complain about the prices when such products ship.
Third-parties are shipping solutions, why not go out and buy them?

This usually is followed by:

"But I NEED to know what the C-A solution will be!!!!!"

Oh, tell us why.  Please.

Answer #1:  I'm insanely curious.
Response:  That's not a reason.

Answer #2:  I'm losing money every day that I don't know.
Response:  A) you should be able to invest in a third-party solution.
           B) you should be a registered developer (costs $$$, but
              MUCH less than Apple or IBM charge) and they'll point
you in the right direction so that when they release their solution
you'll have a easy time converting over.

Do you fit into "Answer #1 Category" or "Answer #2 Category"?

Blah, blah blah blah blah blah.  Blah blah blah.  Blah.  Blah blah
blah.  Blah blah [answer phone, turn down offer to buy a product that
I'm assured is fantastic] blah blah blah.  Blah blah blah blah.

Summary complete.  I'm exhaused.

Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli  tlimonce@drew.edu  tlimonce@drew.bitnet  201-408-5389
    Would you support a law that prevented doctors from telling a

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) (05/26/91)

[ NOTE:  I've redirected followups to "comp.sys.amiga.advocacy" where
this belongs. ]

In article <Alex_Topic.3584@resbbs.UUCP> Alex_Topic@resbbs.UUCP (Alex Topic) writes:

>   Well the A3000 looks real perfect for doing business work, ect.. Also the
> new A3000UX looks like something to get, since it can outpreform most micros,

All micros.

> and it has a faster bus than the NeXt...    But there is afew things I hate

Much faster.

> about it.
>         Namely!   The CUSTOM chips!!!     They should of been totally revised
> [Basically, add more colors, faster blitter, more copper features, triple
> playfield.  Do it now or C-A will go out of business!!!]

Let me summarize ALL the posts that are going to be written in
response to your question.

Blah blah blah.  Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.  [Drink from
soda.]  Blah blah blah blah.  Blah blah.  Blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah.  [Look up to see what just happened on TV.]  Blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah.  Blah blah.  Blah blah blah.

This has been discussed 100 times.  Every time someone new joins the
net they do a post like this.  C-A knows that this is what the users
want.  Some things just aren't very possible right now.  New chips
aren't designed overnight.  C-A is working on a solution, but just
like every company they're not going to announce it until it's near
the release date.  No, they aren't going to drop hints on a forum like
this.  C-A is not going out of business because those features are
lacking.  Anyone making money from video with an Amiga uses one or
more of the MANY third-party options.  The people that post these
requests do not realize that the resulting system will cost a *lot* of
money because those features don't come cheap.  The people that post
these requests will complain about the prices when such products ship.
Third-parties are shipping solutions, why not go out and buy them?

This usually is followed by:

"But I NEED to know what the C-A solution will be!!!!!"

Oh, tell us why.  Please.

Typical Answer #1:  I'm insanely curious.
Response:  That's not a reason.

Typical Answer #2:  I'm losing money every day that I don't know.

dvljrt@cs.umu.se (Joakim Rosqvist) (05/28/91)

In article <Alex_Topic.3584@resbbs.UUCP> Alex_Topic@resbbs.UUCP (Alex Topic) writes:

>  Well the A3000 looks real perfect for doing business work, ect.. Also the
>new A3000UX looks like something to get, since it can outpreform most micros,
>and it has a faster bus than the NeXt...    But there is afew things I hate
>about it.
>        Namely!   The CUSTOM chips!!!     They should of been totally revised
>and able to be backward compatible. Like Super Denise Should of at least have
>256 colors in both hi'rez and low'rez! More less be totally vga! Also the
>sound could of been upgraded, but I think 8-bit is good enough.
>       But the Agnus should of totally been modified!  Like have triple
>playfield mode, instead of dual playfield! Also have a faster blitter(32bit!)
>maybe have multi-channel blitter, for even faster access! Have maybe 16
>sprites per scan line! Have a more powerful copper perhaps!..      Now this

To make these dreams a little more specific:
The copper could use the high nybble of it's MOVE word to store the number
of words to be written, the real number being 2^n. Like:

dc.w $5180,<32 colors> instead of
dc.w $180,<color0>,$182,<color1>,$184,...etc

A relative wait-instruction would be nice too, and there are bits left
in a word enough for 5 bit RGB at least.

Now for the sound: Since overscan can steal DMA-accesses from the sprites,
why not let the sound channels be able to do this too.
Audio takes 1 word/scanline, a sprite takes 2. Each sprite = 2 voices.
6 sprites = 12 voices + 4 existing = 16, a nice even number. (keeping
1 sprite for the pointer and another since they are logically paired)

Then, there is a word for the volume control currently ranging from 0 to 64.
I think the outputvoulme is too weak, let it go up to 255 and, since it is
a word anyway, have 2 volume controls so every voice will be heard in both
left and right speaker. Then, there is the filter problem. Easy, let every
voice be connected to one of 16 SID-chips! It has 3 voices of it's own
and the capability to filter an external signal with adjustable cutoff-
frequency, resonance etc.

/$DR.HEX$

Email to:  dvljrt@cs.umu.se
2 Windows on the screen?  Oh no, not me.  I just Logout & Go.

jafo@miranda.UUCP (Sean Reifschneider) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May22.101716.10467@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA> mlaidlaw@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Mike Laidlaw) writes:
>question: Is it really worth all the trouble to upgrade to an A3000?

It was for me.

>If the answer is yes,then why?

There are lots of reasons.  I've not really had any problems with my system.
I run under WB1.3 (because it's important to me to ba able to use Manx C 3.6a).
My old 2000 system was sometimes flaky, slow, etc.  I like to be able to
autoboot off the hard drive.  I wish it had more drive bays, but building
an external case is no problem.  I like not having any cards in it (if I had
a 2000, I'd have needed to get a memory expansion board, upgrade the SCSI
card, get autobooting chips, get a new Agnus...  My goal is to be able to
run UNIX on the system (once Commodore FINALLY releases it seperately from
the hardware), so I need lots of memory and a 030/020 board.

It was really no problem upgrading the system.

>If the answer is no,then how come so many people are rushing out to buy it?

Sean
--
From the desk of Sean Reifschneider.  Isn't Amiga UUCP great?  Thanks Matt.

uunet.uu.net!ccncsu.colostate.edu!ncuug!miranda!jafo