[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GENLOCK....

1030787@hydra.maths.unsw.oz.au (05/30/91)

I am posting this for a friend......

Can someone tell me how a genlock works.
I have a rough idea, but I am not positively certain.

Also, what actually is the difference between the
$300 ones and the $1500 ones... (aust$)..

Any help or direction to help would be greatly
appreciated.

Sam ----->   s1027689@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au

In article <1659@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> 1030787@hydra.maths.unsw.oz.au () writes:

>Can someone tell me how a genlock works.

Well, a genlock takes an external video source (camera, VCR) and uses
its signal to synchronize the Amiga to it. Yes, the Amiga becomes the
slave of this video device! The whole system clock timing of the Amiga
gets determined from outside. Then the second step of genlock operation
becomes easy: Mixing the external video signal and the Amiga one into
one of several possible combinations: a) only external video (no op),
b) only Amiga (but synchronized), c) the "real" genlock mode where you
have the Amiga video in the foreground while the background (color 0
of Amiga display) is transparent and lets the external video shine
through. Option c) gets some more new modes (other colors being trans-
parent than 0, plus possibly some other goodies, don't know by heart)
when you have already the ECS (as in the A3000).

>Also, what actually is the difference between the
>$300 ones and the $1500 ones... (aust$)..

Quality of the output. You see, both signals, Amiga and the extrenal,
get processed in a genlock. If you use cheap electronics, they may
get corrupted a bit, and that's immediately visible. Also, when in
that transparent mode, the genlock has to switch from one pixel to
the other between the two video sources. If this happens too slowly,
you also stay with ugly color corruptions and blurring.