[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] How much memory Do I have?

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (05/31/91)

I just put 4 megs of SCRAM into my 3000. I noticed a peculiar thing when I
ran avail. It didn't show 6 meg. It showed about 5.7. There was 2 meg of
CHIP and about 3.7 megs of FAST. Does this make sense? Does the avail program
account for what is being used by the operating system? It showed about
3.3 megs of FAST ram available, which means that it was supposedly using about
.5 of what was supposed to be available. I noticed that before I installed my
new memory the operating system was using about .75 megs. If I add that to
my figures it comes out to about 6 megs., which seems to imply that avail is
not accounting for all the memory really available to the system. Any comments?

neil

--
Only 3138 shopping days left till the next millenium!
Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (06/01/91)

In article <1036@celia.UUCP> celia!neil@usc.edu (Neil Richmond) writes:
>I just put 4 megs of SCRAM into my 3000. I noticed a peculiar thing when I
>ran avail. It didn't show 6 meg. It showed about 5.7. There was 2 meg of
>CHIP and about 3.7 megs of FAST. Does this make sense? Does the avail program
>account for what is being used by the operating system? It showed about
>3.3 megs of FAST ram available, which means that it was supposedly using about
>.5 of what was supposed to be available. I noticed that before I installed my
>new memory the operating system was using about .75 megs. If I add that to
>my figures it comes out to about 6 megs., which seems to imply that avail is
>not accounting for all the memory really available to the system. Any comments?
>
>neil

 The Amiga 3000 current has Kickstart on the hard drive, not in ROM. When you
power the machine up it loads a copy of Kickstart into 0.5M of RAM then tells
the MMU to treat this section of RAM as Read-Only (ROM). Thus when you use
Avail it does not see that 0.5M of RAM as RAM. This is normal and will remain
this way until Kickstart is burnt into ROM.

>Only 3138 shopping days left till the next millenium!
>Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu
>Rhythm & Hues Inc.       UUCP: ...{ames,hplabs}!lll-tis!celia!neil)

| Darrell Grainger (darrell@comspec) |Comspec Communications Inc.    |
| Toronto, Ontario, Canada           |Disclaimer: My opinions do not |
|  (416)617-1475     (416)633-5605   |reflect those of my employer.  |