[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Removable harddrives - What works, w

DAN.BENDIKSEN@f601.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (DAN BENDIKSEN) (05/24/91)

 >From: parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker)
 >Date: 21 May 91 12:00:16 GMT
 >Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
 >
 >Do the Syquest drives work well?  How about the new 80+Meg drives?

I don't know about the 80+meg drive, but the 44 is performing well for me. I
like it a lot.

 >Can I just plug it into the SCSI port, edit the mountlist, and go or would
 >the manufacturer supply a driver?

I know that Supra directly supports the 44 meg version. I don't beleive that
they have support for the 88 meg yet, but that should be coming. Changing
the drive (media) and getting AmigaDOS to understand it... I have had to use
the DiskChange command twice in a row before it understands! Dunno why...

 >Can anyone recommend a better removable or comment on the Syquest?

Check out the mags, and call vendors. One limitation or problem with the
SyQuest is that the cartrige is prone to get dust inside it if you don't
keep it in its' storage case! This can be very nasty to data storage!! This
has not been addressed in the 88 meg version either.

 >Thanks,
 >Parker

      No problem,
         Dan Bendiksen.

--
DAN BENDIKSEN - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet, reed}!glacier!busker!601!DAN.BENDIKSEN

elf@seattleu.edu (Elf Sternberg) (05/26/91)

        Can anyone recommend the RICOH drives, especially those with the
GVP driver?  I'm really hardware illiterate, but I need a harddrive bad,
and that's been the most tempting choice...
        Elf !!!

--
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA
                           PEP, V.32, V.42

john_w_hader@cup.portal.com (06/01/91)

I got a Ricoh drive with a Gvp series II controller card from
Manta Sales & service about 3 weeks ago....
15 mins with a screw driver & 2 clicks of the mouse on the
supplied Install disk & Ive been trying to fill'er up ever since!
I highly recommend this combination of hardware...& I highly
recommend Manta of N.J.
                               J.W. Hader

/c