[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Hardware Idiots

rudolpe@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Eric Hans Rudolph) (06/01/91)

Oops! Forgot to mention! Amigas are the best in the West. To be sure, they
kick everything else to aitch-ee-double toothpicks. They're one of the most
hacked most worked on machines I've ever seen. I love 'em. It's just that
there's a hole for something better. Who gets it, wins.

I learned to use the OS Calls correctly and it's a comparative breeze.
My advice to programmers::: Don't be lazy. I still can't get the kind of
speed I want on BattleZone, but Oh well. Just too damn slow.

Here's a MAJOR question that makes me think of C64... When I trash my
memory, sometimes my characters on the screen get HUGE, like some giant scaled
bitmap. Why???? I see no references in documentation that descibe THAT effect at all!
Are there hardware side effects that no ones telling me about?

thanks again.

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (06/01/91)

In article <1991Jun01.043127.24852@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> rudolpe@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Eric Hans Rudolph) writes:
[...]
>Here's a MAJOR question that makes me think of C64... When I trash my
>memory, sometimes my characters on the screen get HUGE, like some giant scaled
>bitmap. Why???? I see no references in documentation that descibe THAT effect at all!
>Are there hardware side effects that no ones telling me about?

It's racial memory. When you treat the Amiga like a C-64 by poking all over
its memory, it harkens back to it's hindbrain and puts up a C-64 display.

>thanks again.

Sure, no problem! :-)

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |