[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] KS Roms

seebs@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (The Laughing Prophet) (06/02/91)

(I suppose it's not important to most people, but this is my first posting
since I got Ethernet attached to my amiga. Now, I wonder how long it will
be before I can get the server ends of rlogin/telnet and all that...)

A large number of people have been commenting about 'when 2.0 is burned in
rom'.

Why, oh why, would you put it in rom? I think putting KS in Ram is one of

the nicest things the amiga does - it allows me to switch os's at will. Sure
it takes memory - but so does Rom, just different memory. ;-) Seriously,
though, what's so great about having it in ROM? I see no clear advantage,
except for the ~2 seconds and ~512k of time and disk space involved, and
the 2 seconds only applies during a cold boot or a really bad guru. :)

Oh, and by the way: Our local C= dealer seems to have lost the newest
kickstart - they lent it to someone, who never returned it, I guess. Is
there any other way I can get it? Can I just copy their devs:kickstart or
do I have to do something arcane? Argh!

Re: Undocumented commands. Well, I keep seeing people around here told
'use CPU NOCACHE' or something like that. Well, I appear to have a command
called 'cpu' in my c: directory. Where did it come from? Appears to be
standard distribution. Where is it documented? Well? Does someone have
docs for this? Is there a reason for which it isn't mentioned in the
"System Software" documentation? (i.e., maybe it isn't so much system
software as, uhm, a really simple minded game...)

--SeebS--
Disclaimer: I was not of sound mind.
--
Peter Seebach - The Laughing Prophet     |     |        Anonymous Posting Here!
I don't speak for St. Olaf, St. Olaf     |     |           seebs@acc.stolaf.edu

dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) (06/03/91)

seebs@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (The Laughing Prophet) writes:

>A large number of people have been commenting about 'when 2.0 is burned in
>rom'.

>Why, oh why, would you put it in rom? I think putting KS in Ram is one of
>the nicest things the amiga does - it allows me to switch os's at will. Sure
>it takes memory - but so does Rom, just different memory. ;-) Seriously,
>though, what's so great about having it in ROM? I see no clear advantage,
>except for the ~2 seconds and ~512k of time and disk space involved, and
>the 2 seconds only applies during a cold boot or a really bad guru. :)

The main issue isn;t actually *having* it in ROM, its more of a question
of when will it be finished.  Obviously, support for WB2.0 will still
be less than 100% until C= begins shipping machines with 2.0 in ROM.
When 2.0 ships in ROM for all model Amigas, hopefully everyone will
throw away their 1.3 include files; there wont be any need for them.

The original WorkBench (1.1,1.2,1.3) has always been the pitfall of
the Amiga.  When 2.0 is complete, I sincerely hope that 1.3 dies
silently, never to return again.  If you disagree, you obviously
haven't used 2.0 much... (-8

I also think the act of placing software in ROM symbolizes to many that
the software is "complete".

>Re: Undocumented commands. Well, I keep seeing people around here told
>'use CPU NOCACHE' or something like that. Well, I appear to have a command
>called 'cpu' in my c: directory. Where did it come from? Appears to be
>standard distribution. Where is it documented? Well? Does someone have
>docs for this? Is there a reason for which it isn't mentioned in the
>"System Software" documentation? (i.e., maybe it isn't so much system
>software as, uhm, a really simple minded game...)

Actually, its documented in the newer System Software manuals.  I think
it was added in 2.03. "CPU ?" should give you most of the information
you need (about turning on/off cache'ing and burstmode).

--
dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks)
Copper Electronics, Inc.