[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Is the Amiga a BIG Atari 800?

c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) (05/31/91)

In article <22009@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
> money in the early 80s, when game machines were hot.  If the Amiga were really
> intended as an 80's answer to the C64 and Atari 800, it would have come with
> an operating system similar to that of those machines; one step behind MS-DOS
> instead of two or more steps ahead.  And C= would have two or three programmers

Hmmm.  AmigaDOS as we know it, was developed after Commodore bought Amiga,
Inc.  and was, as I understand it, one of Commodore's big contributions.
It, along with things like ZorroII, came out of Commodore, not Amiga, Inc.

If they had not run into financial trouble, what kind of OS did J. Miner
and the gang at Amiga, Inc. have in mind for the Loraine?

Did they intend for it to be a bit Atari 800?

Eric Edwards:  c506634 @  "I say we take off and nuke the entire site
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu  from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet      -- Sigourney Weaver, _Aliens_

In article <c506634.3334@umcvmb.missouri.edu> c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) writes:
>In article <22009@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>Hmmm.  AmigaDOS as we know it, was developed after Commodore bought Amiga,
>Inc.  and was, as I understand it, one of Commodore's big contributions.

Keep in mind that the DOS subsystem (eg, AmigaDOS, "dos.library", CLI, etc.)
was just about the last piece to go in place.  This did happen after C= bought
Amiga, though the action mainly took place between Amiga in Los Gatos and
Metacomco in England.

>It, along with things like ZorroII, came out of Commodore, not Amiga, Inc.

The Zorro II specification was completed after Commodore bought Amiga, but it
was done in Los Gatos.  Commodore folks did the later systems work: A500,
A2000, A2500, A3000, and Zorro III.  There are still a few people from the
Los Gatos gang consulting here and there in software and chip design, but the
all current Amiga work is centered in West Chester at Commodore.

>If they had not run into financial trouble, what kind of OS did J. Miner
>and the gang at Amiga, Inc. have in mind for the Loraine?

Again, the OS they were working on is what we got.  The DOS related components
are different.  Andy Finkel wrote an article for Amiga Transactor about the
original "CAOS" DOS subsystem.

>Did they intend for it to be a bit Atari 800?

Nothing of the kind.  CAOS was apparently more advanced than AmigaDOS in some
ways.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.