[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A1000 expansion

chrisg@cbmvax.commodore.com (Chris Green) (06/03/91)

	I am posting this for a friend:

	I've got an A1000 with an old CLtd 1 meg RAM board. I recently bought another
of the same board from a friend, and I can't get them to both work at once. They
both work at the same time in his system.
	Can someone give me a list of things to try. PAL grounding, CPU replacement,
etc?

--
*-------------------------------------------*---------------------------*
*-------------------------------------------*---------------------------d

tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) (06/04/91)

chrisg@cbmvax.commodore.com (Chris Green) writes:

>	I am posting this for a friend:

>	I've got an A1000 with an old CLtd 1 meg RAM board. I recently bought another
>of the same board from a friend, and I can't get them to both work at once. They
>both work at the same time in his system.
>	Can someone give me a list of things to try. PAL grounding, CPU replacement,
>etc?

I've had this happen on two A1000's that I've owned.  It also involved
the old CLtd 1 Meg boards...of which one I am still using.

The first time it happened, I sent it off to the dealer.  He told me he
grounded two weak PAL chips to the two non-weak (!) ones...and charged
me a healthy 65 smack-a-roos.

When the second computer did the same thing, I wasn't surprised.  Rather than
spend the bucks again, I decided to take it on myself - with the help of a
recent article in (what's the name of that magazine?) a magazine.  It showed
how to connect jumpers from the good to the bad chips (however their
diagram was screwed up - what IS the name of this magazine?).

It worked fine.  I later had the first 1000 apart, and the dealer did exactly
the same thing I did.

It's a fairly simple procedure, and maybe somebody else here could explain
exactly what pins need the jumpers, as I can't remember right now.

Tony Poole           Traverse City, MI USA           EMail:tony@irie.ais.org