[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] <None>

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (02/27/90)

Who is the anti social pervert that doesn't know his history of computers
that goes under the name JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu?

The statement that americans invented the computer is totally and completely
WRONG!

Charles Babbage (Of the analytical engine) was ENGLISH! Not a yank, not even on
the wrong side of the Atlantic (Or the Pacific).

PS Ada, Countess of Lovelace also wasn't american. (Otherwise she can't have
   been a countess!

Hamish Marson
hamish@waikato.ac.nz

Jim.Locker@afitamy.fidonet.org (Jim Locker) (03/15/90)

** Quoting hamish@waikato.ac.nz to All **

 >Who is the anti social pervert that doesn't know his history
 >of computers
 >that goes under the name JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu?
 >
 >The statement that americans invented the computer is totally
 >and completely
 >WRONG!
 >
 >Charles Babbage (Of the analytical engine) was ENGLISH! Not
 >a yank, not even on
 >the wrong side of the Atlantic (Or the Pacific).
 >
 >PS Ada, Countess of Lovelace also wasn't american. (Otherwise
 >she can't have
 >   been a countess!
 >

 >Hamish Marson
 >hamish@waikato.ac.nz
** End of Quote **

Re-read the message.  That individual specified that the computer that the
obnoxious Brit was using (presumably an Amiga... clearly that was the writer's
intent) was invented in America.  Which is true.

I must say that this is probably the most obnoxious exchange I have ever had
the displeasure of seeing come across my monitor.

Moderator?  Do we have to put up with this?

Jim Locker

AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway |Jim Locker - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
    1:110/300 Dayton, Ohio     |UUCP: afitamy!Jim.Locker
        (513)-252-7681         |ARPA: Jim.Locker@afitamy.fidonet.org

murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) (03/16/90)

>The statement that americans invented the computer is totally
>and completely
>WRONG!
>
>Charles Babbage (Of the analytical engine) was ENGLISH! Not
>a yank, not even on
>the wrong side of the Atlantic (Or the Pacific).
Is this the same analytical engine that was never finished?  Sounds like
Babbage was worse off than NewTek and the Video Toaster. 8^) 8^)

Usually a computer is thought of in terms of a modern digital computer.
The inventor (patent holder) of the first digital computer is John Vincent
Atanasoff.  He invented a digital computing machine to handle linear equations.
John Mauchley built ENIAC later than the Atanasoff Berry Computer.

For any Iowa State University graduate in physics, you can't help but be
reminded of JVA's achievement every time you enter the front door of the
physics building.

Cheers,
--
 Bill Murphy                          murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Enjoying my Amiga 2000, but holding out for a real computer: The Amiga 3000!!

IO91461@MAINE.BITNET (Tom Nezwek) (07/08/90)

Subject:Lets make a list of Games that work on HD & 3000

      Have you ever bought a game with the intention of putting it on
    your Hard Drive?? And then found out when you get home that it can't
    be copied to HD... Its happened to me and I'm tired of paying $40 per
    game only to wait 5 min between Disk I/O's when I have an able HD just
    begging for games to be installed... Anyhow If we get a list of games
    that do work on HD (and the 3000 for that matter) we'll know which ones
    To buy and which ones to avoid.... Send me your list of games that work
    on HD and I'll Post One great big listing from week to week. Also include
    wheather it is 3000 Compatible (if known) and I'll Post that....
    This will help many people avoid dis-satisfied Purchases...

    Partial List:

                 WORK on HD          3000 Compatible
                ------------        -----------------
                 Battle Chess               ?
                 Zany Golf                 YES
                 Jetsons                    ?
                 Roger Rabbit               ?
                 Leader Board Golf          ?
                 Sky Chase                  ?
                 Gunship                    ?
                 TestDrive II               ?
                 Dragon's Lair II           ?
                 Leisure Suit Larry         ?

        Send me your success stories so I can Update this List!

       ___                    ____
      ////  /\    |\  /|  |  |          /\    TM
 ___ ////  /  \   | \/ |  |  |  __     /  \
 cccX///  /----c  |    |  |  |    |   /----c     -Later
  \XXX/  /      \ |    |  |  |____|  /      \     -TOM IO91461@maine.bitnet

honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) (09/11/90)

In article <CHUCK.PHILLIPS.90Sep9155105@halley.FtCollins.NCR.COM>, Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips) writes:

[Much deleted]

[RE: Floppy Disk Head Gronking]
> Anyone who really uses AmigaOS's multitasking and doesn't have a hard disk
> will see this a _lot_.  It's loud and it's slooooow.  My experience was
> that the drive often would spend more time thrashing than actually
> transferring data.  Hard disks only thrash faster.  IMHO, two programs run
> simultaneously on the same CPU should not take significantly more time than
> running each sequentially.

You've got a partial solution, which is read buffering.  Addbuffers is OK, FACC
II is better.  But you still need the initial read of the data to get it
buffered in the first place.  How about:
	A program that, upon detection of an inserted disk, allocates enough
memory and starts reading data during periods of inactivity.  It would also
buffer all other reads.  Of course, there is the problem of getting the disk
out when you are done with it, but it isn't.  You'd have to ask its permission
to pop the disk out.

There is a partial solution.  Here's another:
	A buffer program that doesn't just buffer each sector, but the whole
track as it is read.  This would really help in situations where program A
wants sectors 131 through 150, at the same time that program B wants sectors
999-1150.  Instead of seeking back and forth, you'd only have to seek once for
each track.

> AddBuffers (and other caching programs) are great when you repeatedly
> access the same file(s).  However, there are a lot of "filter" programs out
> there that:
>
>   while (NOT EOF) {
>     read some data;
>     crunch the data;
>     write some data;
>   }
>
> If you're simultaneously running several of these babies (e.g. from
> scripts), the cache isn't going to help a great deal.

How about the above?  Opinions?

[RE:  It's the controller manufacturer's responsibility, not CBM's]
> Except the controller companies don't dictate the inherent
> stability/fragility (e.g. write locks surviving a reboot) of the FS they
> must support; CBM does.

OK.  Let's think about this.  How can your locks survive a reboot?  A power
failure?  DO they really need to survive a reboot?

I do quite a bit of 2400 baud downloading.  It takes over 10 hours in some
cases.  I've lost power many times.  Has there been problem ONE with my HD?
Nope.  Just delete the zero length file and continue.  Do you still want the
data?  What you got is still there.  I've extracted it.

So what's the problem?

[RE: Getting your hard drive trashed]
> Well, _I_ don't have to try very hard.  Try turning off your machine
> _while_ an application is in the middle of writing a large file, and tell
> me what you find when you reboot.  Alternately, write a small program that
> opens a file for writing then exits without closing the file.  Now try to
> access the file.  Any problems?  <Don't try this at home, Kids!>

I did.  I'd be impressed if any home machine could still resurrect the data if
the heads are pulled from the platters in the middle of a write.  Back to this
in a minute.
If a program exits without closing, you have a zero length file.  Just delete
it.  (If the lock is still open, leave it there until you reboot, then delete
it.)  I can't see how the system is supposed to help this.  Should it close the
file for the program?  (Hello resource tracking!)
So you've got a zero-length file.  The data on the rest of the disk is still
secure.
Back to the power failure:  If you were actually writing data when you lost
power, you will probably get a validation error.  Here we agree: we need Fsck.
(Triple underline 'need'.)  I've had this happen a few times: the old head-glue
problem with my OLD (One of the first) Quantum 105S drives.
I have NEVER lost data.  The disk validation error prevented me from writing
and data.  Thus, I could not munge any data that wasn't accounted for.
I just pull out DiskX (thanks, Steve!) and repair the disk.  Big deal, takes
five minutes.  I may be able to work up some kind of tutorial or instructions
on doing this, it there is intrest.

[Much deleted]

> Fsck is overdue for AmigaOS, IMHO.  The problems are well known as are the
> solutions.  How about a discussion of _how_ to implement it (or why it
> can't be done), instead of why it would (not) be valuable?

OK.  Fsck is needed, and I believe FixDisk does a pretty good job.  I prefer
DiskSalv, but we want to fix the problem in place.

So we start with FixDisk.  What's wrong with it?  Well, it was made for
floppies, but won't work on large partitions.  The author obviously has no big
drive with which to test the program.  He hasn't coded for extension bitmap
tracks. (That's why the 48 meg limit on disk-fixing.)
I believe that FixDisk has the proper understanding of the file system needed
for an Fsck-type program.  It also understands VERY well the floppy media and
hardware.  What it also needs is understanding of SCSI and hard media.  (It
needt to force re-mapping of blocks, track-wiping, and re-formatting of single
tracks, if SCSI allows this.)  SCSI-Direct is here, and it is standard.

So how about it.  Is FixDisk a good start?  Or is DiskSalv a better base?
I could not possibly begin to code any of these enhancements.
BUT:  I have an 80-meg Quantum which I might be persuaded to LOAN to the author
of FixDisk, or another developer, for testing pruposes.  I can't part with the
thing forever, but I'm willing to loan it IF my sacrifice can further the Amiga
community.
If someone can send me the E-Mail address of the FixDisk author, or can get it
in touch with him, I'd be very appreciative.

> #include <std/disclaimer.h>

You got it there, Chuck.  Now mine:
----====This is not written in the interest of flaming.
			I simply want these ideas to mature====----
So lets get to work...

--
\/ Jason L. Tibbitts III     // | THEnet: {George|Jane|Elroy|Judy}::HONP9
/\/"Blob Shop Programmers:  //  | SesquiNet, Telnet, etc: HONP9@JETSON.uh.edu

jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) (09/18/90)

In article <6900.26ebac61@jetson.uh.edu> honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) writes:
<
<[RE: Floppy Disk Head Gronking]
<
<	A program that, upon detection of an inserted disk, allocates enough
<memory and starts reading data during periods of inactivity.  It would also
<buffer all other reads.  Of course, there is the problem of getting the disk
<out when you are done with it, but it isn't.  You'd have to ask its permission
<to pop the disk out.

Pass the paper clip.
--
ACSnet: jep@mtiame.mtia.oz               UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!mtiame.oz!jep

My favorite kill move is to befriend the opponent and have him die of old age.
            - dbn@wyvern.UUCP (Daniel B. Nissman) in rec.martial-arts

In <25756.26fe3ea2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, spworley@athena.mit.edu (Spaceman Spiff) writes:
>Subject:Can I abuse my 3000?
>Sender: daemon@athena.mit.edu (Mr Background)
>Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 19:52:38 GMT
>
>I have an A3000-25/50 and am curious about the (hardware) durability. Specifically,
>I'd like to leave it on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Obviously, the monitor
>will get a ghost image burnt in if I don't use a screen blanker, but is there any
>danger to the 3000 or monitor otherwise? I did this with my A500 for a good 2 months
>and had no problems, but I don't want to risk my new system.

I never turn off my computers (well, I do when I take one to a club meeting,
but not for long.), and have never regretted it.  That includes my 3000.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

spworley@athena.mit.edu (Spaceman Spiff) (09/26/90)

Subject:Can I abuse my 3000?
Sender: daemon@athena.mit.edu (Mr Background)
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 19:52:38 GMT

I have an A3000-25/50 and am curious about the (hardware) durability. Specifically,
I'd like to leave it on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Obviously, the monitor
will get a ghost image burnt in if I don't use a screen blanker, but is there any
danger to the 3000 or monitor otherwise? I did this with my A500 for a good 2 months
and had no problems, but I don't want to risk my new system.

Has anyone done this? If I do it, should I take any precautions? I'm planning to
leave it in an air conditioned room out of sunlight, so heat buildup hopefully won't
be a problem.

BTW, I think leaving my 3000 on all the time will be GREAT- I can play some
fun sound samples (like explosions, etc) at 9:00 am to wake me up, have it
automatically make calls to FTP sites & see what new PD stuff is around, and
ray-trace its heart out with whatever time it has left.

If you have any thoughts, experiences, or cautions, you can mail me or post-
I'm sure others are interested.

Steve Worley                                           spworley@athena.mit.edu

paul@wa1omm.UUCP (Paul MacDonald) (10/05/90)

>In article <5449.26ffff12@nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu> spworley@athena.mit.edu (Spaceman Spiff) writes:
>
>Has anyone done this? If I do it, should I take any precautions? I'm planning to
>leave it in an air conditioned room out of sunlight, so heat buildup hopefully won't
>be a problem.

Two years and going strong ...
--

                                /\  /\
                               //\\//\\

lindblad@cc.helsinki.fi (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct30.230958.14019@engin.umich.edu>, gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
> In article <22914@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>>In article <1156@iceman.jcu.oz> cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:
>
> The 040 kills the 88000 in floating point, but the 88000 is much faster
> than the 040 in a bunch of other things.

Well I don't think that 88000 is any faster than 040. Both chips do about 20
MIPS at 25 MHz. And CISC instructions do much more than RISC instructions. Of
course MIPS stands for meanigless instruction per second or somethink like
that. But generally CISC MIPS is a lot more than RISC MIPS.

> Eventually, CISC will not be able to keep up.  The design philosophies
> in RISC are generally better.  I don't think that cranking up the clockrate

Why couldn't CISC be able to keep up with RISC's. Pipelinig can do miracles.
Well, of course this means also that CISCs will became lot bigger and larger
than RISCs. Speed of computers in the future doesn't depend only on
microprocessors but also on memory chips. Speed of computers can't increase
forever unless speed of memorychips don't also get faster.

mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (11/12/90)

	Ok all you Amiga-internals gurus, here's one for you:

	When I plug a DIGITAL joystick into Port 0 (the Mouse Port) for two
player games, the port seems to be sending a continuous Left signal.  As it
were, the player using that joystick ends up flying over to the Left side of
the screen, and can't get back!
	However, when I have my MOUSE plugged into that port (which allegedly
use the same lines as a digital joystick) the Mouse works fine.

	What's wrong?  How can this be?
	And yes, the joystick is GOOD.

	If it helps, this is an Amiga 2000 rev. 4.3 512k CHIP, 512k SLOW (old
Fat Agnus).
	Microbotics 8up! DIP with 2M FAST memory.
	CBM A2232 serial card.
	Pacific Peripherals Overdrive HD controller.

	Early guesswork is leading me to suspect either Paula or Denise.

	Anyway, any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

	-- Matt

    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
    %    "I programmed three days        %      Beam me up, Scotty.      %
    %     And heard no human voices.     %     There's no Artificial     %
    %     But the hard disk sang."       %    Intelligence down here.    %
    %          -- Yoshiko                                                %
    %                            E-mail:  mrush@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu %
    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     This is a SCHOOL!  Do you think they even CARE about MY opinions?!

In article <1990Nov11.212521.13944@ecst.csuchico.edu> mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:

>	When I plug a DIGITAL joystick into Port 0 (the Mouse Port) for two
>player games, the port seems to be sending a continuous Left signal.  As it
>were, the player using that joystick ends up flying over to the Left side of
>the screen, and can't get back!

It just so happens I wrote up this quick hack to monitor joysick activity
just last Friday.  If you really have a problem in your port 0 with a
continuous left being sent, you should see that one being pressed with no
joystick or mouse installed.  Mouse and joystick functions are handled by
a TTL multiplexer and the Denise chip.

------------------
/* Cheap-ass joystick test program hacked together in five minutes
   by Dave Haynie.  Use this to check out your joysticks or similar things,
   but not as an example of joystick programming.  It's quite evil in that
   latter regard.  Type ^C to end it. */

#include <stdio.h>

volatile unsigned short *JOY0DAT = (short *)0x00dff00a;
volatile unsigned short *JOY1DAT = (short *)0x00dff00c;

void printjoy(FILE *disp, short jval) {
   if ((jval>>9) & 1)
      fprintf(disp,"\2337mL\2330m ");
   else
      fprintf(disp,"L ");

   if ((jval>>1) & 1)
      fprintf(disp,"\2337mR\2330m ");
    else
      fprintf(disp,"R ");

   if (((jval>>1) & 1)^(jval & 1))
      fprintf(disp,"\2337mB\2330m ");
   else
      fprintf(disp,"B ");

   if (((jval>>9) & 1)^((jval>>8) & 1))
      fprintf(disp,"\2337mF\2330m ");
   else
      fprintf(disp,"F ");
}

void main() {
   FILE *disp;

   disp = fopen("CON:50/50/300/40/JoyTest!","w");
   fprintf(disp,"\n   JOY1: L R B F   JOY2: L R B F\233\60\40\160\n");
   do {
      fprintf(disp,"\233A\2339C");
      printjoy(disp,*JOY0DAT);
      fprintf(disp,"\2338C");
      printjoy(disp,*JOY1DAT);
      fprintf(disp,"\n");
   } while (1);
}

----------
	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM

dsieber@sol.UVic.CA (Dirk Sieber) (12/10/90)

Summary:HELP!!!
Subject:Clock chip...
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 09:08:29 GMT

Hello,
  Just wondering if someone can give me a quick hand.  I remember reading an
article a little while ago about someone having problems with the software
clock in their Amiga, and having to replace a certain chip to fix the problem.
However, in the meantime I've switched accounts and can't find the article again.  If anyone knows the chip number (I believe it was 85xx), could you please
E-Mail me?  Also, if you know of somewhere where I can get this mail order, or
recommend a place in Vancouver, B.C.....
   Thanks in advance,
		Dirk

--
These thoughts brought to you from the desk (or wastebasket) of Dirk Sieber
This is a test... this is only a test... in the event of a real emergency, we'd

rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert J. Tatz) (12/22/90)

Subject: OSU-AUG meeting

Due to the fact that the December OSU-AUG meeting would fall on December 25th,
there will not be a December meeting.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

The January OSU-AUG meeting will be on January 29th at 5:30 PM in 120 BAKER.

Our featured guests will be Eric Schwartz and Dr. Len Nasman.  Eric is
currently enrolled at the Columbus College of Art and Design (CCAD).  His
creations include Aerotoons and Amy the Squirrel.  He will demo the new
art program - the Disney Animation Studio.  Len is currently a certified
Commodore Amiga developer.  Len will bring along his NewTek "Video Toaster"
to demonstrate the power of this exciting video processing hardware.

Quoted without permission from Infoworld, Dec 3/90, (COMDEX article) :

"Turns out there is multimedia and multimedia. In the latter category
is New Tek, makers of a hot Amiga product called The Video Toaster - a
board that can do neat tricks mixing live TV feeds with other video sources."

Enjoy the holidays.  See you in the New Year.
Bob          rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu

--
Bob          rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
-> AMIGA (n.) - The BETAMAX of personal computers.

slfvd@cc.usu.edu (03/09/91)

Hi, I need help with my amiga 1000 hardware.
I have to control several small motors, and switches and lights.
I can setup boards and chips and stuff, I just need help on
knowing what to hook up where.  Please help me!!!
Thanks Jeff.

chymes@valais.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (03/15/91)

Charles Hymes

set@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Steve E Tietze ) (03/21/91)

Subject:Karnaugh Map Reduction

Im looking for a PD or Shareware program that deals with circuit design.
Which uses the Karnaugh Map Reduction in it.

Any Suggestions Please Email me...

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<->   AMIGA MAN!    ***Kansas State University***   Steve Tietze        <->
<->                 Email set@phobos.cis.ksu.edu  Phone 913-539-9101    <->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><->And Justice for All ... Metallica<-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Greg_Bastow@tvbbs.UUCP (Greg Bastow) (05/15/91)

-- Via DLG Pro v0.97b

  __________   _        _
 ///////////   \\      //  +----------------------------------------------+
     //         \\    //   | Greg_Bastow@tvbbs.wimsey.bc.ca OR 1:153/910  |
    //           \\  //    | 530 Megs Online, Gaming, Usenet,Fido !FILES! |
   //             \\//     +-----+  Fish Disks Online - Official DLG Site |
  // unnel         \/ ision BBS  +----------------------------------------+

hollnbgh@coral.bucknell.edu (06/04/91)

Hello,

     I am writing a function/scientific plotting program, and I am trying to
make it work in many different environments.  I am making it configurable
for PAL, NTSC, 1.3, 2.0 & ECS (screen resolutions), and hopefully A2024.

     There are several things I would like to know about the A2024 monitor:

The resolution is 1008 x 800 (2 bitplanes), but is the A2024 in Europe
(A2025 ???) a PAL monitor with 1008 x 1024 ?

It is the same as a Moniterm Viking I monitor (in the way the system
drives the video)?

Assuming that someone has a A2024 (or a Moniterm) with 1.3, how does a
C programmer get a 1008 x 800 screen open.  I vaugely remember something
about Intuition.library V35 being the version that would allow the A2024
to operate.  What flags go into the new_screen.Flags field?

How do I open the 1008 x 800 screen under 2.0 ?

Any help along these lines would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to
support a device that I have never seen!

Thanks in advance,

Dale Hollenbaugh

hollnbgh@amethyst.bucknell.edu
hollenbaugh@garnet.bucknell.edu